Welcome John Mayer

cough Fractal Audio Artist Preset Series cough
If this ever happens, the presets will just be a troll. They won’t be what he uses live/studio. They’ll be a variation close enough to be convincing, but far enough away for him to laugh while he reads posts of “I can’t get the John Mayer presets to sound right”.

The PRS Silver Sky was a troll. Reverse headstock, vintage radius, Strat copy. He did it to troll PRS enthusiasts. I’m surprised PRS let him get away with it…but he’s a big name and they want the endorsement.

He’s a phenomenal player, but his well-documented history of arrogance is unmatched. I can’t imagine the lengths the Fractal team had to go to in order to make this work out. They must have patience beyond measure.

Congratulations, though, Fractal. Aside from my personal views of said Artist, he’s a commanding influencer in today’s guitar world. It’s a huge win to have a name like that become a Fractal Artist, and I’m sure they worked hard to achieve this. Hopefully this sells more units for the brand and continues to elevate the status of the product line. It certainly deserves it.

If this ever happens, the presets will just be a troll. They won’t be what he uses live/studio. They’ll be a variation close enough to be convincing, but far enough away for him to laugh while he reads posts of “I can’t get the John Mayer presets to sound right”.

The PRS Silver Sky was a troll. Reverse headstock, vintage radius, Strat copy. He did it to troll PRS enthusiasts. I’m surprised PRS let him get away with it…but he’s a big name and they want the endorsement.

He’s a phenomenal player, but his well-documented history of arrogance is unmatched. I can’t imagine the lengths the Fractal team had to go to in order to make this work out. They must have patience beyond measure.
this is a lot of assumption.

If you read the story behind the guitar I think you'd know that was not the case at all.
The storieS I read, including interviews with him regarding the design, are what left me with that opinion. However, I’d be happy to reinvest time with an open mind if you have some sources to share that would lead me to the contrary.

For the record, there are a lot of John Mayer haters out there, and I’m not one of them. I throughly enjoy his music, and he’s one of my favorite artists. I just don’t have a favorable opinion of his personality.

Have you played a Silver Sky? If you still think it was simply "trolling" afterwards then there's not much anyone can do to convince you otherwise.
I have. I played one of the first ones after they came out. I was in LA at the time and was excited to try it, and was incredibly underwhelmed. Not too far from saying disappointed. I owned a Fender Mayer for a short time and loved the neck and frets, so it was quite a departure to feel the PRS version. I own a lot of different types of guitars so I’m not tied to anything particular, but I personally didn’t like the PRS version.

Lots of people seem to like them, and that’s great. I’m just not one of them, which carries no weight.

Most of the Strat guys I know absolutely love them. Seeing as you're "SinglecutGuy"... perhaps that's a factor lol.

They're great guitars imo. The pickups being the real high point. All the positions are usable in the PRS package (consistency, quality etc) people familiar with the brand are accustomed to. I can't think of too many other Strats in the same price range that truly compete. Suhr maybe.

I’m surprised PRS let him get away with it…but he’s a big name and they want the endorsement.
I personally know 3 guys who have worked at PRS, one who used to head up artist relations, and they've told me PRS is very accommodating, almost to a fault with certain artists.

The storieS I read, including interviews with him regarding the design, are what left me with that opinion. However, I’d be happy to reinvest time with an open mind if you have some sources to share that would lead me to the contrary.

For the record, there are a lot of John Mayer haters out there, and I’m not one of them. I throughly enjoy his music, and he’s one of my favorite artists. I just don’t have a favorable opinion of his personality.
I'll try to recall where I saw it... I'm sure it was probably one of the major guitar mags, but at the moment I'm drawing a blank.

However, why would anyone design their signature guitar (that they seem to use pretty heavily) just to troll other guitarists? I mean he obviously loves the guitar... Just my opinion, though.

I have. I played one of the first ones after they came out. I was in LA at the time and was excited to try it, and was incredibly underwhelmed. Not too far from saying disappointed. I owned a Fender Mayer for a short time and loved the neck and frets, so it was quite a departure to feel the PRS version. I own a lot of different types of guitars so I’m not tied to anything particular, but I personally didn’t like the PRS version.

Lots of people seem to like them, and that’s great. I’m just not one of them, which carries no weight.

No, it doesn't carry any weight. You are a very lone voice in disliking the Silver Sky. Mine is the best Strat I've ever had.

Don't derail.

The PRS Silver Sky was a troll. Reverse headstock, vintage radius, Strat copy. He did it to troll PRS enthusiasts.
🙄

Awesome. Seems like a lot of young guitarists salivate over what John uses. I hope you guys sell a ton more unit because of this. :) Also, his new album is really good. Really enjoying it. Not to mention the guitar tones! ;)

Mayer is an incredible player who can only enhance Fractal’s already stellar reputation. As for the Silver Sky, it’s just one more iteration of the Strat, and a pretty good one at that. PRS had already made Strat-style guitars (EG, 305) so nothing that new really, except for the reversed headstock style. I would have kept mine if it had a less chunky neck. But it is an Artist guitar, so you get what they like.

Back
Top Bottom