Weird high frequency hiss

RayRay

Hi all- I keep getting this weird high pitched hum / his, whether I use my Adam A7 monitors or my SD 700 power amp to cab.

Everything is plugged into the Furman. I’m using the noise reduction gate in Input1 at -40db. Using two different humbucker guitars I’m getting the same thing. It’s really noticeable at louder volumes and when I play softly.

any ideas what it could be?

thank you so much!

Hi all- I keep getting this weird high pitched hum / his, whether I use my Adam A7 monitors or my SD 700 power amp to cab.

Everything is plugged into the Furman. I’m using the noise reduction gate in Input1 at -40db. Using two different humbucker guitars I’m getting the same thing. It’s really noticeable at louder volumes and when I play softly.

any ideas what it could be?

thank you so much!

Sounds like a ground loop issue. Unplug one cable at a time (including USB cables), does the hiss/hum change?

Thank you! Ok just tried that but still getting the same. Attaching the preset (but it does it on all overdriven amps / settings). I noticed it's more pronounced on the neck pickup of each guitar too. So weird. It's like this little sizzle when the note falls off.

Attachments

• Atomica Rock ACDC.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Are you sitting near your computer? Or are you playing guitar with your cell phone in your pocket? Both my computer and my cell phone add some noise to my guitar signal.
Heh. Yes. Both are usually right next to my whole setup. Just stepped away now but will try that later today. That’s a good call

What are your settings on the gate? I think some people reported weird noises when certain parameters were set to zero with the noise reduction gate. Also -40db seems a little extreme, though with the noise reducer that may be fine. I generally set the threshold around -60db or even lower.

What are your settings on the gate? I think some people reported weird noises when certain parameters were set to zero with the noise reduction gate. Also -40db seems a little extreme, though with the noise reducer that may be fine. I generally set the threshold around -60db or even lower.
Gate is set to downward expander at -65db
The Input block is on Noise Reduction at -40.

There’s gotta be a grounding issue somewhere. If I turn off the gate and noise reduction I can see the input meter just bounce sporadically and can hear the hissing especially on scene 2/3 (the gainy ones from the preset above). All from a bunch of different makes / models of guitars.

None of this is racked yet just FYI.

Right now I’ve got TRS->XLR cables to the monitors. I’ll try just XLR and play with the ground lift.

Would a higher end furman power conditioner help?

Here's the sound I'm getting. Recorded via my phone in front of my cab. I've got the Adam monitors unplugged from output 1 and powered off.

(note you can faintly hear my daughter in the background practicing "To Be with You" on guitar. She's so good).

Ordered a power filter. Hopefully that does the trick. My tube amp rig was noisy too but the gate I used seemed to help. I think it’s just a power issue. Will update tomorrow when it arrives

I went through something like this. It is probably NOT a ground loop (that is the go to dismissal these days) and just EMI from your computer picked up by your guitar. If you move your guitar near your computer and hear the same thing but louder, and moving away from computer makes it better, then you found your problem.

C-states, intel speed step, spinning hard drives, glass panels, all of these can cause EMI. Fix these and you will probably fix most of your issues.

I am astounded/jealous how so many people can just record in front of their computer... I don't get it! How?

Let me try to reposition some things today. My P-1800 PFR arrives today which will hopefully help.

Btw... it’s not just a Fractal thing. Got the same with my tube amp. Also perhaps I’m just being overly sensitive aurally... but if I can contain even a part of this, I’ll be super happy.

Any tips for dialing in the quietest settings for noise control? I’ve just been playing and going by ear on the noise reduction in the input block and the gate block.

Thanks everyone. The Fractal community is awesome. Has been since my Ultra!

Let me try to reposition some things today. My P-1800 PFR arrives today which will hopefully help.

Btw... it’s not just a Fractal thing. Got the same with my tube amp. Also perhaps I’m just being overly sensitive aurally... but if I can contain even a part of this, I’ll be super happy.

Any tips for dialing in the quietest settings for noise control? I’ve just been playing and going by ear on the noise reduction in the input block and the gate block.

Thanks everyone. The Fractal community is awesome. Has been since my Ultra!
Guitars make noise. Amplifiers amplify that noise. A noise gate will remove that noise WHEN YOU ARE NOT PLAYING. Expecting a power conditioner to remove noise at the guitar is illogical.

There are two types of noise guitars make: thermal noise (hiss) and interference (which isn't technically noise). You can't do anything to reduce the hiss aside from reducing the temperature considerably which isn't practical. You can reduce the bandwidth which will reduce the apparent noise but it may make the guitar sound dull.

You can reduce interference (hum and buzz and other periodic noises) in two ways: at the source and at the receiver (the guitar is the receiver). To reduce it at the source you have to find the source(s) and shield them, reduce the loop area, etc. At the receiver you reduce interference by shielding or using humbucking pickups or ideally both.

Computers are significant sources of interference. Computers with windows are especially bad. The inverse square law tells us that one way to reduce interference is to simply move further away from the source.

Guitars make noise. Amplifiers amplify that noise. A noise gate will remove that noise WHEN YOU ARE NOT PLAYING. Expecting a power conditioner to remove noise at the guitar is illogical.

There are two types of noise guitars make: thermal noise (hiss) and interference (which isn't technically noise). You can't do anything to reduce the hiss aside from reducing the temperature considerably which isn't practical. You can reduce the bandwidth which will reduce the apparent noise but it may make the guitar sound dull.

You can reduce interference (hum and buzz and other periodic noises) in two ways: at the source and at the receiver (the guitar is the receiver). To reduce it at the source you have to find the source(s) and shield them, reduce the loop area, etc. At the receiver you reduce interference by shielding or using humbucking pickups or ideally both.

Computers are significant sources of interference. Computers with windows are especially bad. The inverse square law tells us that one way to reduce interference is to simply move further away from the source.

You rock. Thank you for this!

Computers with windows are especially bad

Good thing I’m a Mac guy!

... hey it’s early and I’ve only had one cup of coffee. ;)

I will say that moving rooms, disabling C-states and speed step, and moving farther away within reason, all solved my EMI issue. I am still astounded how people on youtube can record right in front of their computer. What are they doing right? I am jealous

If you have cable TV or high speed internet through coaxial cable and the cables are not plugged into a TV or modem, it will cause noise. If you have a splitter, with coaxial cable going to different rooms, try disconnecting some of the cables at the splitter.

As a test, most people have a coaxial cable junction box outside their house, try disconnecting the coaxial cable, so no signal is going through your house. WARNING: You will lose all cable TV and internet service during the test, so make sure you let any other people in the house know before you do it because they will make a lot more annoying noise than you're getting in your guitar signal! ;)

Here's a link with more info: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cable-signal-leakage

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom