Weekend gig report first live gig with the Ultra

the-patient said:
.. so for aesthetic's sake, I brought my Ac30 with a 2x12, and people said it was the best sounding AC30 they'd ever heard, and asked if I had had it modded. Haha, jaws dropped when I was like "it's a digital rig, by Fractal audio" :lol: ...

That has always been my point: people listen with their eyes, not their ears.

I'm sure that if you putted just the AXE-FX on stage where they could see it, lot of those same people would say that it sounded digital and wasn't even close to the original. :cool:

Great tones as usual Mark.

I have a 2x12 (unloaded at the moment) cab built to Mesa specs that I was planning on using when I play out, jam sessions etc. This whole time I've had a pair of 70/80s from a Traynor I used to use (swapped speakers out, sold the amp, yadda yadda) but it never dawned on me to try them in the 2x12. I'll have to put them in there and run through a spare solid state power amp laying around at work and see how that sounds. I had always told myself I needed to get some better speakers for the thing and am still toying with the idea of buying some retrofit Full range setup and make it a full range cab. I figure if the 70/80s work then why not? less $$$ to be spent that can go towards an SLA for myself or something else useful.

Keep up the good work man. Always enjoy your posts, input and perspective.

samhill said:
OUT 2 goes to ART SLA2/guitar cabs, OUT 1 goes direct to FOH. No cab sims to OUT 2, cab sims on for OUT 1
:)

Mark

What cab sims do you prefer to go to the FOH ? Do you use the same cab sims for all your patches, since you also have the same cabinets on stage for every patch ?
Or do you prefer to work with different cab sims to the FOH as the patch requires

samhill said:
Here's a true story..back in the 90's I used a 20 space Bradshaw rig and four 4x12's. There was a large club we played regularly. There was always this guitarist there that would chew the fat with me. He would make comments about my huge rack and why did I need all that stuff, but he liked my tone....but didn't love it :)

One night we were there and they changed the stage a bit, I had to run my rack off the side behind a curtain, still had the cabs on stage. So dude comes running up to me at the end of the night and says, "man I knew you would sound lot better if you didn't use all that shit!"

You should have seen his face when I pulled back the curtain...PRICELESS!

Guys will want to deny how good the AxeFx sounds...if they see it...lol.

Mark

I read this and L.M.A.O. !

We've all been there....

"That's a killer tube tone, man! What amp are you using?"

"It's not an amp - it's an Axe-Fx, from Fractal Audio. I run it direct into the P.A."

"Oh. I knew I heard some 'digital artifacts'."

samhill said:
twentytwenty said:
Sounds excellent Mark! Good voice too! a sweet playing and sounding band!!!

That's the rock tone I have been after for years, how many patches do you use throughout that video?, I will be an extremely cheeky Brit and ask if you may post up one of them up here!!

Would love to check one out.

Anyway great work, I always look forward to your videos and thank you for taking the time to post them.

In the video there are 3 patches, my main rhythm and main solo, and a spillover preset which is my main rhythm with a redundant delay block. I have a cc modifier on the delay so when I hit that IA on my Ground Control Pro it sends out midi cc10 to the AxeFx which has a modifier programmed on the delay 1 block...it increases the volume, the repeats and the delay time of that block. Works like a charm :)

Here are my latest patches and I have OUT1 setup for direct with the Cab and poweramp sims. My guitar is STUPID HOT so you may have to increase the gain on the O/D and amp sim. The title of each patch is pretty self explanatory. As always OUT 2 is for the ART SLA2/two 2x12" guitar cabs in stereo.

I have a volume controller connected to the mixer block using cc7. So if you get no sound look there first and just disable the modifier on the mixer block. Cliff would use a Vol/Pan Block instead of the mixer block so I will probably change the mixer block in all the patches to a Vol block instead. In the meantime the mixer block does the trick for the vol pedal assignment :)

http://files.me.com/samhillband/0lmsqv

I always share my patches :)

Mark
Hi Mark! I know you said you weren't happy when you used the Mesas on Friday. Just curious...are you using the fx loop to send out 2 to your stage cabs? Did you try tweaking the out 2 global EQ? Of course, that would just be a temporary fix;...when you go to the next room, you may have to change the eq back. A better solution...that is as long as you have the resources available, may be adding a parametric eq block after the loop (bypassed) but available for tweaking if the global is not enough. I'm sure you had plenty of experience with weird room acoustics that wreak havoc on sounds that are killer on other gigs. With the paramid block, once you find the sweet spot, you could just write a set of your patches for that room without altering the foh settings if they already sounded fine. Shouldn't be a problem considering the huge amount of slots available....especially since you love to write patches (at least I think you do). :D :D :D

PlaysARobin said:
Great tones as usual Mark.

I have a 2x12 (unloaded at the moment) cab built to Mesa specs that I was planning on using when I play out, jam sessions etc. This whole time I've had a pair of 70/80s from a Traynor I used to use (swapped speakers out, sold the amp, yadda yadda) but it never dawned on me to try them in the 2x12. I'll have to put them in there and run through a spare solid state power amp laying around at work and see how that sounds. I had always told myself I needed to get some better speakers for the thing and am still toying with the idea of buying some retrofit Full range setup and make it a full range cab. I figure if the 70/80s work then why not? less $$$ to be spent that can go towards an SLA for myself or something else useful.

Keep up the good work man. Always enjoy your posts, input and perspective.

:)

Mark

kabong said:
Hi Mark! I know you said you weren't happy when you used the Mesas on Friday. Just curious...are you using the fx loop to send out 2 to your stage cabs? Did you try tweaking the out 2 global EQ? Of course, that would just be a temporary fix;...when you go to the next room, you may have to change the eq back. A better solution...that is as long as you have the resources available, may be adding a parametric eq block after the loop (bypassed) but available for tweaking if the global is not enough. I'm sure you had plenty of experience with weird room acoustics that wreak havoc on sounds that are killer on other gigs. With the paramid block, once you find the sweet spot, you could just write a set of your patches for that room without altering the foh settings if they already sounded fine. Shouldn't be a problem considering the huge amount of slots available....especially since you love to write patches (at least I think you do). :D :D :D

Yes using the FX before the Cab sims.
Yes I was tweaking OUT 2 EQ :)
I use a PEQ Block :)

I find once I get a sound dialed in for any rig I don't fuss with it much...maybe some hi's or low's or a little more/less FX level.
You are correct in the amount of preset space available, I already of duplicate presets with slightly altered EQ's and FX levels for my lessons studio and for live, I guess if I wind up tweaking out different rooms I could save and name appropriately :)

The big issue was I dialed in the AxeFX for a 2x12" and threw two 4x12's at it...lol. I'm sure given a little time I could dial in the two Mesa's, however I am fine with the 2x12's saves my back and quite a bit of stage and trailer space :)

Mark

Scott Peterson said:
That's great stuff Mark.

You got your s*** down TIGHT, gear, tones, playing.

Killa' stuff man!

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the kind words!

Mark

samhill said:
kabong said:

Yes using the FX before the Cab sims.
Yes I was tweaking OUT 2 EQ :)
I use a PEQ Block :)

I find once I get a sound dialed in for any rig I don't fuss with it much...maybe some hi's or low's or a little more/less FX level.
You are correct in the amount of preset space available, I already of duplicate presets with slightly altered EQ's and FX levels for my lessons studio and for live, I guess if I wind up tweaking out different rooms I could save and name appropriately :)

The big issue was I dialed in the AxeFX for a 2x12" and threw two 4x12's at it...lol. I'm sure given a little time I could dial in the two Mesa's, however I am fine with the 2x12's saves my back and quite a bit of stage and trailer space :)

Mark
If you can get the stage tone and volume you need with less, who could ask for more?

Anyone want to buy a couple of Mesa 4x12s?

Great as always Mark!

Edit, this is a joke, like speaking for Mark... I do not have two Mesa's to sell...

after having used the Axe for about 5 gigs now...with a 12ma, I am sold.

it does everything i need...and if there is a sound in my head, i know it's in the axe. i just have to find it.

i am even using my talk box as i take the effect send to a power amp then to the talk box. hit an IA switch and shut down signal to the FOH. genius.

just ordered another 12ma (stereo) and a boss fv500 for wah duties. life is good.

Back
Top Bottom