Wah question

DaveZ

Inspired
I've setup a wah on a few of my gain patches and am getting around to actually using them, I've noticed that there's a sort of thump when it engages and disengages. I have it before the amp, and have tried the 3 dif speeds for autoeng, it happens on all. Any recommended settings to smooth this transition? Never did anything different with the Ultra and I don't remember hearing anything like that. Tried 3 dif EB pedals and they all did the same thing.

Thanks,
Dave

I haven't heard of this happening yet. Is the level 0 in the wah block? Is the wah one of the blocks in the signal chain?

wahhhsaaaaaa! :lol

@Funeral
The wah is the first block in the chain. Level is 0.0 in page 1 of wah config

@GuitarDojo
I don't, but I've used these so far (EB VPjr) without any issues.. and they don't have any probs controlling other params in the Axe. I'm thinking its something in the wah setup or I'm just noticing this and its always been there.

Here's a clip http://soundcloud.com/dave-zahara/wah

Dave

Last edited:
The "thump" sounds like the wah being swept really fast. Almost like it's setting a default value for the wah frequency, then reading the pedal and jumping to that value. You might get a different sound if you start the wah with the pedal in a different position, or play with the start frequency.

You might have luck reducing the sound by increasing the Damping parameter.

i think what you are hearing is the auto engage effect when you turn it on or off. i use auto engage to turn off the wah at toe down position. because the frequency of the sweep is at it's highest at toe down, i hear a slight thump if i hold the last note played with the wah until the auto engage kicks in. when that happens, the frequency changes back to the original patch's tone and creates frequency hump. correct me if it is something else. the only way i can see to avoid it is to set the wah frequency at either heel or toe down when your auto engage starts/stops at the same frequency of you patch. but that would make the wah kinda suck!

i think what you are hearing is the auto engage effect when you turn it on or off. i use auto engage to turn off the wah at toe down position. because the frequency of the sweep is at it's highest at toe down, i hear a slight thump if i hold the last note played with the wah until the auto engage kicks in. when that happens, the frequency changes back to the original patch's tone and creates frequency hump. correct me if it is something else. the only way i can see to avoid it is to set the wah frequency at either heel or toe down when your auto engage starts/stops at the same frequency of you patch. but that would make the wah kinda suck!

Please explain how to set this up

There's a 7-8 ms drop to near silence there when it switches. Ultra is different from that for sure, quick crossfade w/ no dropout.

I also tried to assign a expression pedal to the way - now I have this effect when I use the pedal the tone get cut off. How can I reverse this effect ? I used the wahwah bypass funktion since I did not find another one for the wahwah.

I also tried to assign a expression pedal to the way - now I have this effect when I use the pedal the tone get cut off. How can I reverse this effect ? I used the wahwah bypass funktion since I did not find another one for the wahwah.

The pedal needs to be set up an EXT CTRL, not Wah bypass. Then the EXT CTRL can be assigned to wah control within the preset. See Axe II manual page 120 for an example & images.

I get that too. That is just the sound going from being boosted at a certain frequency to not being boosted and vice versa. I think it is totally normal. I'll bet we all experience it too. Think about it what wah have you ever played that didn't have some form of audible artifact from engaging and disengaging? It becomes more apparent when you use auto engage since this turns on in the lower end of the sweep. When you have a stomp switch to activate you are at the treble end and there is a less noticeable artifact.

I bet you Cliff can find a way around this though. Perhaps a soft start or a fade in of some sort...

Reactions: NHD
That's what the Axe 1 does; one signal fades out while the other fades in. You'd hear the tone change but it wasn't as distracting of a blip as the dropout in this clip.

That would be awesome, yea I didn't do anything special on the Ultra and had nothing noticeable like this.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom