VU Meters in Axe-Edit?

api4u

Experienced
Are the VU meters available in Axe-Edit, or just on the face of the Axe-FX?

What an awesome option this has been! In one day of using it, it feels like it should have always been there. Cliff, you're a GENIUS!

Oh well... We can dream [emoji5]

At least we have meters now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh well... We can dream [emoji5]

At least we have meters now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would be awesome. Especially if it didn't consume much CPU. But it would require ongoing com. between Axe and PC... maybe a slow update version.

It would be awesome. Especially if it didn't consume much CPU. But it would require ongoing com. between Axe and PC... maybe a slow update version.

Yeah, to bad it isn’t in there. There’s already ongoing communication though, that’s why Axe Edit conflicts with the MFC if you use both to change stuff, and Axe Edit also displays CPU usage so I don’t think there’s any direct technical limitation to why it couldn’t be done.

VU meters need to respond in real time. Can't get that over the MIDI comm link. They could put the things in AE, but they'd always be lying to you.

VU meters need to respond in real time. Can't get that over the MIDI comm link. They could put the things in AE, but they'd always be lying to you.
I'm not sure what all the Axe-FX/Axe-Edit limitations may be, but MIDI was designed for real-time control. Sweep your expression pedal or joystick as fast as you can; the wah will keep up. Send simultaneous 64th-note sequences to half a dozen MIDI synths; same thing. I don't think MIDI speed is the issue.

The Axefx would have to transmit the values but real time shouldn't be an issue. The execs already does it with the tuner.

Well, there's real time and there's real time, so I shouldn't speak in absolutes. Requirements vary. For instance, on a tuner, you're doing a certain amount of smoothing. Time isn't of the essence. But, if you want to see short-lived peaks, I suspect sending the data over MIDI wouldn't be the way to do it. Of course, I could be wrong. I'm not that close to the AxeFx design details.

MIDI can handle about 1,000 3-byte messages per second. It only takes about 20 samples per second to make motion appear smooth to the human eye. And VU meters make lousy peak meters, anyway. :) Their job is to show average level.

Back
Top Bottom