Volumes for clean and dirty

andyp13

Power User
i use the shiver clean for a clean sound and switch to scene 2, with the AC drive block for solo.
Is there another way of altering the volume (on the fly) between theclean and dirty scenes or have I got this right -
I use the RAC12 and have set a controller to the volume of the AC block (scene 2) however if I want to turn the clean Chanel up/down (scene 1) it alters the total volume and consiquently scene 2 as they use the same amp, so- I put the tape drive block in the sequence so that it is on with scene 1 and off in scene 2. I then set this to a control pled on the RAC12 so I now have a volume for the clean channel (vol of the tape drive) and a volume for the dirty channel (vol of the AC), I can now alter the volume of each scene without it effecting the other, would this be the best way to do this or is there a better way?

If you want to stick with scene controllers not have the x/y switching drop-outs, you can add a Vol, Fil, or PEQ block after the amp tied to a lead/boost button, so it gives a similar boost (or even a different amount of boost depending on scenes if you use the same scene controller with a carefully crafted modifier curve on the output level of the block). With this setup, you can have scene 1 clean with or without a certain amount of boost, and a scene 2 dirty with a different amount of boost. You can also put the vol/fil/peq block before the amp if it is a high headroom amp to get a richer fuller sound, or use a mix of both to fine-tune sculpt what you want. Endless possibilities if you have the time and enjoy the noodling on patch making as much as playing. You can also swap out the boost button idea for a continuous controller where a pedal sweeps through a range of minimal and maximal volume changes.

You can set the output volume for each scene individually! Just go to the output mixer and set the volume in scene 1, then go to scene 2 and set the output volume for that scene.

Leveraging X/Y states correct?

Another suggestion is adding a drive block in front of the Shiva. The Bogner's are beautiful, but gain staging those amps together can become quite a task sometimes. Maybe try a ZenMaster or a FuzzFace in front of the Amp block?

Thanks!

You can set the output volume for each scene individually! Just go to the output mixer and set the volume in scene 1, then go to scene 2 and set the output volume for that scene.

I can't do it this was as I need to adjust the levels on the fly, as each give I do always seems to require different levels between the clean and dirty, when I get it right for one gig it's different for the next.

Another suggestion is adding a drive block in front of the Shiva. The Bogner's are beautiful, but gain staging those amps together can become quite a task sometimes. Maybe try a ZenMaster or a FuzzFace in front of the Amp block?

Thanks!

I do that. I have the tape drive and the AC drive blocks before the Shiver clean, when I'm on the clean rhythm sound the tape drive is on (so I can adjust the volume) and the AC is off, when on dirty the tape drive is off and the AC on (so I can adjust the level via the gain control of the AC).

I think I might try putting two vol blocks after the Shiver amp one to alter the scene 1 (clean) setting and one to adjust the dirty (scene 2) channel. Similar to how I am currently using the drive blocks one on and one off etc...... I gues that way it would not have an effect on the amp as it would by increasing/decreasing the level before the amp.

Thanks!

NO! Im talking about the output block at the end of the chain not the amp block. Each scene has its own output volume control.
The way I have it set up is I have my MFC set up where two AI switches are volume increment and volume decrement. That way I can set up my scenes and then set the volume for each of those scenes using the MFC.

I can't do it this was as I need to adjust the levels on the fly, as each give I do always seems to require different levels between the clean and dirty, when I get it right for one gig it's different for the next.

From the manual:
upload_2016-4-20_9-17-31.png
OR
upload_2016-4-20_9-19-17.png
Use these switches on your MFC to set levels between scenes on the fly. The volume levels will be saved automatically.

Are you going through the house PA? If yes, you may not want to keep changing your levels bc stage sound is never consistent but the sound going thru the house PA is usually pretty consistent level wise, so what may sound good to you on stage may not translate to well thru the house PA.

I adjust all my levels using the Orban Loudness meter http://www.orban.com/meter/

Then I play against music, so I can hear my sound in a mix and make small volume changes. I make the volume changes with my MIDI controller using what the post above mine explains. I then don't make anymore changes unless someone from the crowd tells me something sounds bad but that's usually just my playing haha

From the manual:
View attachment 31986
OR
View attachment 31987
Use these switches on your MFC to set levels between scenes on the fly. The volume levels will be saved automatically.

So am I correct in assuming- if I'm on scene 1 and use the vol inc/Dec it would only effect the volume of scene 1, but if I'm on Scene 2 and use the inc/Dec it will only alter the volume of scene 2 and no other scenes in the patch...

would this method be better to use than a volume block at the end to adjust the volume etc.....

Could using the inc/Dec eventually push the Axe into clipping?

I place GEQ blocks in the final col. of the grid with bypass=mute
so each scene uses a different block
scene = riff; this GEQ level is set to 0dB
the other scenes [clean, solo, etc] have their specific GEQ levels set relative to the riff scene

this means I sound check with the riffing scene and then know that everything else will be good

the advantage of using a GEQ block for this is that as well as having different levels per scene, I can also fine tune the EQ per scene

So am I correct in assuming- if I'm on scene 1 and use the vol inc/Dec it would only effect the volume of scene 1, but if I'm on Scene 2 and use the inc/Dec it will only alter the volume of scene 2 and no other scenes in the patch...
That is correct!
would this method be better to use than a volume block at the end to adjust the volume etc.....

Could using the inc/Dec eventually push the Axe into clipping?

Yes, if you go up too high you will get clipping.

Screenshot 2016-04-20 22.28.52.png I have decided to try adding three volume controls (each linked to a control on the RAC12) so I have a Volume for the clean channal (scene 1) the overdrive chan (scene 2) and the lead chan (Scene 3)... will try it out at a rehearsal tomorrow night, see what its like, at home it seems to work great (just like how my boogie MK V would work)

Last edited:
Seems to work really well, got great control over all three settings - though perhaps I may move the volume blocks to the very end of the chain. Overall (obviously) the Total volume is quieter so I need to have the 'output' control of the Axe a lot higher.
Has anyone else tried this way?

Seems to work really well, got great control over all three settings - though perhaps I may move the volume blocks to the very end of the chain. Overall (obviously) the Total volume is quieter so I need to have the 'output' control of the Axe a lot higher.
Has anyone else tried this way?
That sounds like a great way to set it up, especially with the RAC12!
The reason I use the output block is because I need the volume pedals for other things. Also, since I don't have a RAC12 it's easier to use the IA switches on the MFC.
If it works for you why change? There aren't any rules!

Back
Top Bottom