Volume Troubles with Cab Modeling Off

jamesm601

Hoping someone can help a noob with some volume issues. I'm running the FM9 into the FX return of a combo amp, so I turn off cab and power amp modeling. The sound is fantastic, but the variation in volume between presets and sometimes even scenes is really problematic. Watching level meters in FM9-edit, I've seen 15db differences. It's not as bad with cab modeling on, so I assume the cab block does some of the work in keeping volume consistent.

Is there a way to even out the overall output volume across scenes/presets without editing every preset, or do I just need to stop being a baby and put in that work?

Apologies if I'm missing something super obvious here. Only had my unit for a few weeks and currently managing the firehose of learning that comes along with it. :)

Thanks for any insights!

Hoping someone can help a noob with some volume issues. I'm running the FM9 into the FX return of a combo amp, so I turn off cab and power amp modeling. The sound is fantastic, but the variation in volume between presets and sometimes even scenes is really problematic. Watching level meters in FM9-edit, I've seen 15db differences. It's not as bad with cab modeling on, so I assume the cab block does some of the work in keeping volume consistent.
You need to use Edit's Tools > Preset Leveling Tool. It'll allow you to adjust either the Amp and/or Out block's level. Set them to 0dB for each scene in the presets that need adjusting.

Cliff says:
[12] The amp block is always the place to set your volume. The Level control is repeated at several places in the amp block menus for convenience so you don't have to keep switching pages. The Level control has no affect on the tone.

That quote above is only valid for non-MV amps (i.e. Fenders). The Master Volume (MV) DOES affect the tone. It sets the level into the power amp simulation. The Level control has no affect on the tone. For non-MV amps the recommended setting for MV is around 9.0. For MV amps, i.e a 5150, adjust the MV until the desired amount of power amp distortion is obtained. Most MV amps rely on preamp distortion and don't produce much power amp distortion. If you turn the MV up too high on them the tone will get muddy and flubby.

Non-MV amps rely primarily on power amp distortion so you need the level into the power amp to be hot enough to push the power amp into distortion.

The amp models vary in output because the real life amps would. The cab modeling doesn't do anything by default except apply the IR to the signal, basically it's an EQ curve which can affect apparent loudness because lows might not be as emphasized, but that's what the speaker in your amp's cabinet does also. With or without the Cab block in the preset the loudness will still jump around if you haven't leveled the scenes and presets.

Is there a way to even out the overall output volume across scenes/presets without editing every preset, or do I just need to stop being a baby and put in that work?
For the most part the amp models are plug 'n' play with the same amount of adjustment needed as you'd do with the real amp. If you had five brand new amps from different companies, turned them on and started switching between them, what would you expect to happen and what would you do to change it?

Also, something to think about is: You have the ability to change between many amps and cabs, but that plays havoc with the FOH sound. If you jump between sounds they'll try to adjust it until they get tired of it, then will adjust your sound to sit below the rest of the band's mix so it won't be distracting. Having a consistent volume and sitting in the mix is the goal.

Last edited:

Apologies if I'm missing something super obvious here. Only had my unit for a few weeks and currently managing the firehose of learning that comes along with it. :)

Thanks for any insights!
I have roughly the same set up but I leave the power amp modeling ’on’. Work great.

Back
Top Bottom