So many volumes options!

Looking to get a little help in setting up some patches for even consistent volume levels. With so many adjustments in so many parts of the patch, where do you start, and how do you know that you're done?

Take a simple patch, with 1 amp block. The amp has a MV, but then page 2, dynamics, and mix also have level controls. Not to mention the global output gains and output pots on the front of the unit!

Overall I've just been trying to make sure that my levels are very high in the Utility Status menu without clipping. Is there a "better" more logical approach to all of this?

Using a db meter at a set distance from your cabinet, although I have requested in the WISH section for a visual or normalization option prior to output knobs.

One thing I would like to ask as well, Cliff has stated this...

"For authentic tone: set Master to 9, use Drive for volume and gain. It doesn't hurt to crank all tone controls and Presence"

Does this mean that tone actually changes with the master amp volume at different settings? I thought because the Axe FX is digital that volume controls had no bearing on tone?

Totally confused.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

One thing I would like to ask as well, Cliff has stated this...

"For authentic tone: set Master to 9, use Drive for volume and gain. It doesn't hurt to crank all tone controls and Presence"

Does this mean that tone actually changes with the master amp volume at different settings? I thought because the Axe FX is digital that volume controls had no bearing on tone?

Totally confused.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Oh boy... They sure do!!

Using a db meter at a set distance from your cabinet, although I have requested in the WISH section for a visual or normalization option prior to output knobs.

I guess I'm looking for less of an answer on balancing the actual dB output, and more on using a consistent approach to the five additional level controls post master volume. Do they all interact with the original amp model, or only adjust the level of that pages adjustments.

The amp block is always the place to set your volume. The Level control is repeated at several places in the amp block menus for convenience so you don't have to keep switching pages.

That quote above is only valid for non-MV amps (i.e. Fenders). The Master Volume (MV) DOES affect the tone. It sets the level into the power amp simulation. The Level control has no affect on the tone. For non-MV amps the recommended setting for MV is around 9.0. For MV amps, i.e a 5150, adjust the MV until the desired amount of power amp distortion is obtained. Most MV amps rely on preamp distortion and don't produce much power amp distortion. If you turn the MV up too high on them the tone will get muddy and flubby.

Non-MV amps rely primarily on power amp distortion so you need the level into the power amp to be hot enough to push the power amp into distortion.

Master Volume in the AMP block functions as it would on a real amp... ie: it controls how much the power tubes (the large glass 'bottles' on the back of a tube amp) effect the overall tone/feel/sensitivity of the amp. They have a different character to the preamp tubes.

For overall LEVEL control (to adjust the volume without changing the tone), use the LEVEL control in the AMP block. For basic patches, that's the only LEVEL control you ever really need to fiddle with, and, you would do so to prevent output clipping.

Edit: Cliff beat me to it... and, in addition to being a better programer than me, can also type faster too.

Last edited:
The amp block is always the place to set your volume. The Level control is repeated at several places in the amp block menus for convenience so you don't have to keep switching pages.

That quote above is only valid for non-MV amps (i.e. Fenders). The Master Volume (MV) DOES affect the tone. It sets the level into the power amp simulation. The Level control has no affect on the tone. For non-MV amps the recommended setting for MV is around 9.0. For MV amps, i.e a 5150, adjust the MV until the desired amount of power amp distortion is obtained. Most MV amps rely on preamp distortion and don't produce much power amp distortion. If you turn the MV up too high on them the tone will get muddy and flubby.

Non-MV amps rely primarily on power amp distortion so you need the level into the power amp to be hot enough to push the power amp into distortion.

Sweet! This explains everything to a tee! Thank you Cliff.

^ This would probably be very nice to add to the wiki!

Looking to get a little help in setting up some patches for even consistent volume levels.

one more thing to add to all of this is..
do you really want all your levels to be exactly the same???

most folk require at least two volume levels [rhythm and lead]
and some folk [myself included] play the sort of music that requires more [I think I have about four or five levels]

consider your main working tone as the volume / level bench mark [in my case it's my riffing tone] and then set the levels of everything else with respect to that..
if you make sure that your main working tone is not too loud, you'll have enough room left to create lead tones that can cut over the top [by 6dB or so] without causing the output of the Axe to clip..

Yes, please do! :))

Nah, you don't have to. It's already in there.
Amp block: parameters and dialing in - Axe-Fx II Wiki
and
Presets: level control

This should be repeated more often!!!!!

Guys, Yek has done a tremendous amount of work setting up and constantly updating the Wiki.

While many have contributed, I think a lot of forum members here don't realize that YOU CAN UPDATE THE Wiki TOO! :shock Our friend Yek likes to have time to play his guitars too! :) So everytime you start typing that something should be added to the Wiki just take a few minutes to see if it is already there and if not add it yourself.

So everytime you start typing that something should be added to the Wiki just take a few minutes to see if it is already there and if not add it yourself.

I would be happy to help, but as you can see... I am just getting my head wrapped around basic things. Maybe in a few years? ;) I'm probably the last person you want fooling around with any of that content and screwing it up. Thanks to everyone that has helped to build it into what it is.

YOU CAN UPDATE THE Wiki TOO! :shock
The probem might be that the same stuff will end up in 4 places...
Yek does it fine. I say, let Yek do it ;) (but reward him and give him a PayPal button in his sig :D)

Anyway, the updating is the easy part. You have to gather the info first...

Back
Top Bottom