Volume Reduction during gigs.

If that venue is close, just go their on a night another band is playing. Checkout the guitarists who's on the exact side as you usually are on. If he's plugging into the same outlet..... watch their set and see if it happens to him. if not, it's something in your gear :(

Hi Gorilla,

Yes, good advice. If I ever get a break in our gig schedule (which is rare) I will do just that. It's a local venue.

Rex, at some point I'll fathom this I'm sure. At the time of writing to you I'm wondering if the electrical draw from the PA, lights and other equipment isn't at the heart of the matter and for some reason my gear is audibly affected. When I played Saturday night's gig I was running of an extension cable plugged in as far away from the other equipment as possible and I had no bother. The Friday gig however, when I did have a problem, we were all running off a long cable extended from the venue to the garden marquee area.

Please do keep us posted. As you say, it could be a power issue. I'm thinking, though, that power sag is more likely to affect downstream equipment (power amps?) than the Axe itself. I can't say that for sure, though.

Last edited:
Yes the UK has always had very steady power supply, and brownouts are extremely uncommon.
The only problems I've ever experienced are related to the electrics within the building/venue, particularly if their wiring is old and in need of upgrade. I've played a couple of local venues in Lincolnshire where (all running off the same phase) we've tripped the power. That was embarrassing. To solve it we had to run the lighting off one phase and the PA and backline off another. In those days we were using par cans though, and now we are on LED lights, they draw nowhere near as much so it's less of an issue.

Craiguitar, thanks for your input. We recently changed our lights to LED's (which hopefully reduces the draw as you say) but we added another bass cab to our PA system which slaves off the master bass cab which has all the PA amps within it (which therefore probably adds to the draw). I know that our old lighting rig was consuming 300W per bulb and there was a minimum of eight bulbs working at any one time (which is a huge draw on the system) but, ironically, I never had a volume dip issue with these old lights and my Axe FX running together.

Back
Top Bottom