Volume, Loudness and Adjusting on the Fly

Hi all,

Make sure it is not an EQ problem as LMO pointed out. If it is just a volume problem, I have a simple solution that I´ve been practising for years: I store the same patch 5 times in the same bank, but each patch with say +3 dB increased master volume from left to right (f.e. #1 -15 db; #2 -12 dB, #3 -9 db and so on). Then I make sure that the "middle" patch #3 sits perfectly in the mix, at least at band rehearsals. So I still can upper/lower the master by +/- 6 dB via footswitch if necessary. I found 3 dB-steps most convenient.
If you want to change to another sound you change the bank. IMHO in a live situation it is better to stick with just two or three different sounds and just add single effects if needed, otherwise the soundman will go crazy or, more likely, will not bother adjusting the mix if necessary.

This has been a great thread for me and I think I'm settled on the footswitch +/-1 approach.

However, I was struck by Patzag's comment about ABCD controls and found this in the manual

"New to the Axe-Fx II are four front panel Quick Control knobs, detailed in section on p. 36. When the unit is in EDIT mode, they function as hands-on controls to facilitate editing. When the unit is in RECALL mode, however, these knobs double as “MANUAL” control sources that can be used for making sound adjustments without menu diving. Press the front panel CONTROL button to find the MANUAL page for the current preset. The value of each knob is saved with each preset. [[Image:]]
Remember that while you are setting up a MODIFIER, the Manual knobs will be assigned to edit parameters on the screen instead of operating as SOURCE. To test your modifier, you’ll need to leave the EDIT menu (return to the grid or press RECALL)."

So, if I read this right you can create a patch and assign modifiers to say Drive, Master and Level (Using Manual A, B, C respectively). Then when you save the preset and are playing you can tweak those controls using the quick control knobs on the front panel. These look to be saved by preset so as long as you are consistent (perhaps even labeling them on the panel), this would seem to work. Too late for me to try tonight but given FractalAdmin hasn't suggested this, I'm not sure but based on my read it would operate this way.

Make sense?

In theory this should work. But I've tried it and it doesn't really work. Yes you can control the values in recall mode that way. But recalling the preset brings those values to 0 so now the preset is silent unless complete your editing of the preset in recall mode, save the parameters, go into recall mode, tweak again, save the values, etc. and if you go into edit mode and tweak volumes during a tweak session, the values disappear as soon as you exit the preset.
Not very user friendly. Possibly workable for a filter setting or a stuck in the middle wah, but not for the master volume of your preset.

Reactions: yek
IMHO it's not always just a volume issue. Your sound can get lost in the mix because of the overlap with other instruments, and you need to design your presets accordingly.
A big +1. Raising the volume causes your ears to hear the highs and lows get stronger relative to the mids, and it's the highs and lows that overlap the other instruments. The mids don't get emphasized as much, and it's the mids that carry you through the mix.

When you want to take that sweet tone you just crafted and play it in a band situation, throw in an EQ block and trim the highs and lows. Then set your level. Otherwise you're trying to fix an EQ problem with crushing volume, and you and your bandmates will suffer the consequences. ;)

A big +1. Raising the volume causes your ears to hear the highs and lows get stronger relative to the mids, and it's the highs and lows that overlap the other instruments. The mids don't get emphasized as much, and it's the mids that carry you through the mix.

When you want to take that sweet tone you just crafted and play it in a band situation, throw in an EQ block and trim the highs and lows. Then set your level. Otherwise you're trying to fix an EQ problem with crushing volume, and you and your bandmates will suffer the consequences. ;)

Amen!

That is a huge cause of volume wars. Instead of cranking up, start carving up the instruments with EQ.

The endless cranking up also eats up the headroom of the mix and makes for mush.

Richard

In theory this should work. But I've tried it and it doesn't really work. Yes you can control the values in recall mode that way. But recalling the preset brings those values to 0 so now the preset is silent unless complete your editing of the preset in recall mode, save the parameters, go into recall mode, tweak again, save the values, etc. and if you go into edit mode and tweak volumes during a tweak session, the values disappear as soon as you exit the preset.
Not very user friendly. Possibly workable for a filter setting or a stuck in the middle wah, but not for the master volume of your preset.
This is exactly what I tried to achieve, and failed. It would be awesome, if the manual control knobs would just start from the value of the parameter they control, and I would assign drive, level, delay mix, reverb mix to it. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom