Volume, - different choices

kavevester

Inspired
Cannot agree with my self what the best solution for controlling the volume.

1 Use a volume block? (takes up a block pos)
2 Axe level out? (dos not take up a block pos)
3 Amp block Level? (dos not take up a block pos)

See different users do differently and just wondering whats best..

Another is having single coil guitars (lower output) and humbuckers. I don't know how to switch quickly between these when it comes to input level. Lack of level when the Fender is active.

1 Should I have a boost pedal in front of the Axe to switch on when using single coil guitars?
2 Is there a nice way to do this in the Axe?
3 Make different/copy presets for different guitars because one have to tweak different guitars in the Eq anyway?

:geek

Another is having single coil guitars (lower output) and humbuckers. I don't know how to switch quickly between these when it comes to input level. Lack of level when the Fender is active.
I'm very interested in this, particularly.

During the course of an average gig I'll be switching from my Strat (Lace Sensors) to whatever humbucker equipped guitar I have setup for drop-D tuning.

I make different presets for single coil and humbuckers.

I keep a boost in front just for getting a little more bite. Usually a FET boost or Peq.

i would control level with a volume block after the cab. when you snap to zero, any delay or reverb tails will carry on

you can also solve your guitar problem by adding another volume block at the beginning of the chain. use the output level to increase output for your single coil guitar. bypass the block when using humbuckers. if you make it a global and add it to every patch you need it in, when you bypass and save one preset, this will propagate to every patch that uses it

I hate to correct Simeon after the huge wealth of knowledge he's spread over the forum (loved your violin tone btw!), but actually, at least for the II and XL, bypass states are not stored in global blocks, this is done on a by-preset basis.

The wiki lists quite a clever workaround though, one that I use personally - assign a modifier to the bypass state in every preset you use the block, attached to an external controller. BUT never set up any external device (pedalboard etc) to send data on/to this external controller - instead, go into the I/O -> MIDI menu, and change the initial value of this controller from 0% to 100% to change bypass state globally.

The added bonus of this is that you can also choose whether you want your global block to be affected by this on a per-preset basis, by simply choosing to not assign the modifier.

thank you grit, for the correction. this isn't something i've ever used, so i'm probably misquoting something i read on the forum many moons ago. your workaround is excellent though and would work a treat.

if you make it a global and add it to every patch you need it in, when you bypass and save one preset, this will propagate to every patch that uses it

hmm, i'll have to try again, but i do remember it working like this before. i forgot - did that change?

I've seen people stating that it does work, and people saying it doesn't. The wiki states that it doesn't, and my own Axe II does not...

I *may* have read somewhere that the global amps on the Ultra *do* store bypass states... but don't quote me on it - I've no way of checking, seeing as searching on the forum doesn't seem to be reliable in this instance :D

Back
Top Bottom