Volume boost in live setting

mrstrat

Experienced
Hey guys, how are you boosting your volume during live gigs, for solos, swells, etc. to cut through the mix? I know there are a number of ways to approach it, but I'd like to find out what is working best for you.

I have been using a TriAxis for years, and use my Ernie Ball volume pedal (via Ground Control/Midi) to increase the Master Volume level, which works great. I have all my TriAxis patches "normalized" and my MV was always around 5/10. So I had plenty of room to boost.

Are you using a volume block? Are you using the boost parameter in the Amp block, Master Volume, Level, using scenes? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I am using "Mattmans method" for global boost switch. Its described in the Wiki. However I might change that when I fully start using scenes...

I use a GEQ block at the very end. I boost the mids and increase the volume about 2db. I used to use the null filter block and bumped it 3 db but I found I have to increase the volume less when I boost the mids. And the GEQ method causes the solo to cut through a mix much nicer and doesn't just blast more volume at the crowd.

I use a GEQ block at the very end. I boost the mids and increase the volume about 2db. I used to use the null filter block and bumped it 3 db but I found I have to increase the volume less when I boost the mids. And the GEQ method causes the solo to cut through a mix much nicer and doesn't just blast more volume at the crowd.

Yep, I do the same exact thing for my Lead Scenes/Patches. Haven't tried it live, but I'd imagine it's effective.

If you are using scenes and have a dedicated lead scene you can you the output mixer. I do a Null filter set to 4db boost at the very end of my chain in every patch for clean vol boosts

Which are the best frequencies it boost in the GEQ & by how much?

Thanks,

Paul

Is this an "on/off" boost? The thing I liked about adjusting the MV on the TriAxis was it was adjustable in real time, so the more pedal I gave it the more I could boost. It was great for those times where the band volume has crept up and you want to be able to get above it. That's the down-side of a set db boost level, you just never know from night to night how loud the rest of the band is going to be at any given point in the evening.

Is this an "on/off" boost? The thing I liked about adjusting the MV on the TriAxis was it was adjustable in real time, so the more pedal I gave it the more I could boost. It was great for those times where the band volume has crept up and you want to be able to get above it. That's the down-side of a set db boost level, you just never know from night to night how loud the rest of the band is going to be at any given point in the evening.

This is the main reason why my band went the In ear route. The never ending creeping up of the stage volume. I can't stand it. A 3.5hr gig gives you plenty of time to creep up to insane volume levels.

Yes it's on off. You can always use two different scenes and make one X and the other Y for two different levels of db boost. If one isn't enough you can use the next one. Just member to turn it off when your done or the rest of the band will end up turning up past you and your boost will no longer be a boost. Lol.

I use a global volumeblock at the end. So if I jump in with some strange band ,that needs a different amount of boost ,I can just change it some dB and all my presets will follow.

Usually +4 dB works fine but sometimes not.

I think it would be even better to have it before the reverb and delay section so the trails won´t get
fucked up during switching. I´m gonna have to dig in to that.

Hey guys, how are you boosting your volume during live gigs, for solos, swells, etc. to cut through the mix? I know there are a number of ways to approach it, but I'd like to find out what is working best for you.

I have been using a TriAxis for years, and use my Ernie Ball volume pedal (via Ground Control/Midi) to increase the Master Volume level, which works great. I have all my TriAxis patches "normalized" and my MV was always around 5/10. So I had plenty of room to boost.

Are you using a volume block? Are you using the boost parameter in the Amp block, Master Volume, Level, using scenes? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Nice idea. I'm using a null filter block (boost between 2 and 4 db, depending on the audible output) or a X/Y amp setting with different settings, the Y is set to be louder. It works fine, but the GEQ is worth a try.

Call me old fashioned, I have a preset dedicated to it. I was waiting to integrate scenes but Axe-Edit was the ringer in that (lackthereof).

Back
Top Bottom