VIDEO: HAAS Delay and how to use it

Now keep in mind...there is a drawback to the HAAS delay. It will mess with your ears and make you think the left side is louder.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that is our brain forming an image of where the sound comes from (the side that the soundwaves hit first), and then perceiving it as louder on the side where the signal appears to be coming from. It helps us orient toward the source of the sound and form a more useful model of the world around us. Maybe it is a learned reaction because in natural world sounds, the side closest to us is always going to be louder too, so it's kind of a Pavlovian response. Or maybe it shares the same bundle of neural pathways sort of like how multiple of our fingers can move at the same time when a specific tendon or muscle is flexed.

A way to compensate and center the sound would be to turn up the signal level on the side that is delayed, or cut back the signal on the side that is not delayed. I haven't experimented with it though.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that is our brain forming an image of where the sound comes from (the side that the soundwaves hit first), and then perceiving it as louder on the side where the signal appears to be coming from. It helps us orient toward the source of the sound and form a more useful model of the world around us. Maybe it is a learned reaction because in natural world sounds, the side closest to us is always going to be louder too, so it's kind of a Pavlovian response. Or maybe it shares the same bundle of neural pathways sort of like how multiple of our fingers can move at the same time when a specific tendon or muscle is flexed.

A way to compensate and center the sound would be to turn up the signal level on the side that is delayed, or cut back the signal on the side that is not delayed. I haven't experimented with it though.

I agree with everything you said other than turning up the delayed side. I personally like that it isn't perfect. It's also the engineer in me watching my meters knowing the delayed side is not really lower lol. Do what works though....there are no rules. :)

Hey Danny when will be do another video teaching us some cool tricks? I always learn something watching your vids. ;)

Haha OK OK....another guy asked yesterday too on a thread I was posting in. I'll see what I can cook up. You guys just like my funny accent.....I know it! :p

I agree with everything you said other than turning up the delayed side. I personally like that it isn't perfect. It's also the engineer in me watching my meters knowing the delayed side is not really lower lol. Do what works though....there are no rules. :)

Haha OK OK....another guy asked yesterday too on a thread I was posting in. I'll see what I can cook up. You guys just like my funny accent.....I know it! :p
I grew up in Jersey also. I knows whacha mean..

Reactions: JT2
Love the video. Great stuff.

Love the base sound as well. Would you mind sharing your preset?

Danny,

Got it. I accessed it from my PC and it worked fine. Now I have this, too!

Great tips, for sure. On ZZTop's "Tush," the main rhythm part sounds to me like it's getting a treatment like this, or else it was genuinely double tracked. I tried dialing this in for a patch on that song, but I ended up not liking it: too much separation, felt like there was a hole in the middle of the image. So then I tried changing the balance down from +\-100%, but that gave me some bad phase issues. Last thing I tried was to pan both sides back to 100%, but change the mix so I was letting a good deal of direct sound through. Closer. I'll have to tinker with it more...had to give up and get to the gig!

Thanks again, amigo.

Danny,

Got it. I accessed it from my PC and it worked fine. Now I have this, too!

Great tips, for sure. On ZZTop's "Tush," the main rhythm part sounds to me like it's getting a treatment like this, or else it was genuinely double tracked. I tried dialing this in for a patch on that song, but I ended up not liking it: too much separation, felt like there was a hole in the middle of the image. So then I tried changing the balance down from +\-100%, but that gave me some bad phase issues. Last thing I tried was to pan both sides back to 100%, but change the mix so I was letting a good deal of direct sound through. Closer. I'll have to tinker with it more...had to give up and get to the gig!

Thanks again, amigo.

No problem. I would say our enhancer block would be more what you want using classic mode as it will not favor any sides or be too loose.

There's also a chorus trick you can consider that doesn't actually sound "chorus fluttery" and chorus effected. I have a few of my own ways of doing this, but you can check out the last Larry Mitchell sound that FAS shared with us.

Stereo something or other. The chorus block used in that preset is quite good and isn't super wavy to where it sounds like you're using a major chorus effect. Worth a try.

Most of the guys getting that sound you are looking for double tracked super tight or used an eventide just for that sound. I believe is was like preset 53 or 55 or 155 or something. They didn't use it for much else.

The sound just turned any sound into the madness of two guitars in one pass and it didn't favor a side. Our enhance block does that same thing. Just remember to run it last so that it accentuates anything you have in stereo.

Also, pitch effects for cloning work well too. You just have to watch that they don't get too chorused.....like say, Eddie Van Halen's present tone. It sounds like a chorus but it's a pitch effect. You can do this without the chorus artifact and get cool results also. Good luck. :)

<snip>

Also, pitch effects for cloning work well too. You just have to watch that they don't get too chorused.....like say, Eddie Van Halen's present tone. It sounds like a chorus but it's a pitch effect. You can do this without the chorus artifact and get cool results also. Good luck. :)

Seems like a good opportunity for another video Danny. ;)

No problem. I would say our enhancer block would be more what you want using classic mode as it will not favor any sides or be too loose.

There's also a chorus trick you can consider that doesn't actually sound "chorus fluttery" and chorus effected. I have a few of my own ways of doing this, but you can check out the last Larry Mitchell sound that FAS shared with us.

Stereo something or other. The chorus block used in that preset is quite good and isn't super wavy to where it sounds like you're using a major chorus effect. Worth a try.

Most of the guys getting that sound you are looking for double tracked super tight or used an eventide just for that sound. I believe is was like preset 53 or 55 or 155 or something. They didn't use it for much else.

The sound just turned any sound into the madness of two guitars in one pass and it didn't favor a side. Our enhance block does that same thing. Just remember to run it last so that it accentuates anything you have in stereo.

As usual, thanks mucho. Yeah, the modern enhancer didn't have quite enough "loose" to it for my taste, so I wanted to try your method. I'll have to try the pitch block. Or just stick with what I ended up with.

Ok, decided to try a video approach to this after all. Not sure how much it will help, but it may give a few cool tips. I should have it ready sometime today. Just had a client cancel on me...poor dude took off half his finger. Ugh! I'll be in touch..

Back
Top Bottom