Vibrolux reverb

jdolll

Inspired
Looking for some guidance on getting a patch similar to an amp I played the other day, a vintage drip edge vibrolux reverb 2x10. A few things have always confused me trying to nail big fender cleans on the axe fx... I've always been a vox or Marshall guy and just don't know enough about fender for where to start.

Amp models seem pretty straightforward... Get the model tweak to taste...

What kind of IR's are guys who feel like they've nailed this tone using?

I never feel like I can get the amp reverb right, to me this is a HUGE part of what I like about these big swirly clean fender amps. Any examples of a great classic fender amp reverb block around? Any tips or tricks for getting it right

I know these seem like pretty basic questions. But I've struggled with getting this right enough in the past that I'm considering buying the real thing to not have to mess with it... I'm confident the axe can get me there... Just need some assistance.

Put the reverb in parallell, BEFORE the amp block.
Use any of the spring reverb types.

Realize that if you put a block in parallel before the amp block and route both lines in to the amp. You will be sending the amp a hotter signal than it otherwise would receive.
I'm not sure why you would want to put the reverb in parallel before the amp block though?

Realize that if you put a block in parallel before the amp block and route both lines in to the amp. You will be sending the amp a hotter signal than it otherwise would receive.
I'm not sure why you would want to put the reverb in parallel before the amp block though?

Just because I like the sound of reverb before the amp and parallell because for me its easier to blend in the right amount using the reverb level and the reverb mix at max and using the appropriate bypass setting for the reverb block.

It could be placebo though, I have to check if it is the level increase that is tricking me! Hahaha!

Last edited:
Just because I like the sound of reverb before the amp and parallell because for me its easier to blend in the right amount using the reverb level and the reverb mix at max and using the appropriate bypass setting for the reverb block.

It could be placebo though, I have to check if it is the level increase that is tricking me! Hahaha!

It's placebo and level.

i would guess no. instead, put it between the amp and cab, but not even sure that makes a difference.

If you put the reverb after the Amp but before the Cab or after the Amp and after the Cab does not matter since the Cab block is linear in its behaviour.

In many tube amps (maybe all, i dont know) with an integrated reverb, the reverb circuit is "powered" by a 12AX7 or similar then further powered by the output section(power amp) and probably (i dont know) the phase inverter(another 12AX7) too.

This means that if we in the Axe put the reverb block before the Amp block then the reverb is "powered/treated" by the Preamp and the power amp! A little more preamp tubes than in reality.

But I meant putting the reverb in front of or after the Amp block.
Doesn't that make a difference?

It behaves exactly as if you did that with a real amp and a reverb pedal, in front of the amp or in the FX loop.

Now, what we don't have in the Axe FX is a true amp spring reverb emulation with in the Amp Block, just as many of the modelled amps have.

Spring reverb is extremely difficult to emulate, only one product IMO has nailed it exactly and that is SofTube Spring Reverb, its fenomenal.

In some amps the Spring Reverb sits before the FX loop or after the FX loop and always (IIRC) between the Preamp and Power amp section. It is not the same to put the reverb block after the amp block because that behaves only like putting the amp in a room, many recordings have both the reverb of the amp in mono and the reverb of the room in stereo or mono creating an interesting effect of the amp's sound. This unfortunately can't be reproduced with in the Axe FX at the moment. But i could be mistaken.

Would be cool to have the reverb built into the models that originally have spring reverb as well as tremolo, it's just not the same to me with it after or before the amp !

Back
Top Bottom