AFIII VH Modded Marshall

The renewed attention for vintage Marshall tones coincides with my own search / quest.

I've been experimenting in the past weeks, before Pete Thorn's video, to see if I could use the Plexi 6550 as a single amp solution, using just the guitar's Volume knob for everything. To replace my current "4 amps/scenes method": Clean (Shiva Clean) - Dirty - Rock - Heavy (Shiva Lead).

The reason is that I'm kind of growing tired of the "perfect" guitar tones which seem prevalent in so many rock recordings these days. EQ-'d to death. The Friedman sound: thick, smooth, balanced. Frankly, a bit boring.

I like imperfect guitar tones. I like warts, and dips, and peaks. Clipping, woofy, noisy and bold. Things that make a guitar sound distinguish itself from others. Sounds that let you still hear the guitar coming through instead of only amp gain. Where you can hear the difference between a single coil and a humbucker.

The old Marshalls deliver this. Raw and honest.

I like imperfect guitar tones. I like warts, and dips, and peaks. Clipping, woofy, noisy and bold. Things that make a guitar sound distinguish itself from others. Sounds where you can still hear the guitar coming through instead of only amp gain. Where you can hear the difference between a single coil and a humbucker.

Same here!!!

I will share this one as well, but it is still under construction.
Actually I will create a video where I explain what I did and why.

Since I got some inspiring feedback from you guys, here is another version. It's missing the flanger and I don't play it correctly, but it's about the tone for now. I changed the tubes to 6CA7 as well.

Thanks in advance for the video. I always enjoy how others do things. I always learn something.

That's not commercially purchasable is it ? I think you have to own a PT15 to get it ?
Here ya go, someone uploaded them in a post ages ago. I've just converted it now for AXE FX III

EDIT: The posts were coming thick and fast, missed this had been mentioned already above.

Attachments

• Friedman_PT20_SM57(AxeFx III).syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom