ver. 5 more CPU hungry?

I just went into the studio and was listening to some music and noticed the axe2 was intermittently giving me a warning flash that says:

"exess CPU usuage reduce load".

I will admit this is a heavy loaded patch (but not really?)....>CPR>wah>PHR>DRV>AMP>CAB>CHO>GEQ>DLY>MTD>ENH>REV
DRV>AMP>PEQ>GEQ>FLX

Its set up to split signal at the PHR into the 2nd line out to have different amps to my cab and the FRFR.

Before it registered around 80-85% CPU usage if I am remebering correctly.

I am suprised I ran out of power as the effects loop line dont even have effects on it just ..DRV>AMP>PEQ>GEQ>FLX.

I have to take some stuff out for it to stop. I use to set up my Ultra something like this and no prob.

Anyone else notice this?

Sorry the forum must have auto format when u post. I tried to line up all the blocks to show where the signal splits, but it wont allow it.

have you tried turning the global noise gate off.
Also set you cab to mono lo res. Mono lo res = hi res from the ultra.

Thanks I can give that a shot. I didnt do anything different to the patch before or after upgrading so it has me wondering.

Noise gate and enhanser have been changed, they may take more cpu now.

Most improvments will have associated costs, many times that cost is added cpu.

Maybe it has something to do with the USB change deal? I really didnt read into it much as I have been busy. It rises when playing back music on my computer.

Depends on the blocks. Some blocks take more than others.
It sound like the update cased you 5% on this pat h

USB plugged in will cause additional CPU usage as well

So there is something that has not been mentioned that I am aware of. It takes 5-6% more CPU power to playback through the axe2!!!

What would the cause......DA Conversion? Metering?

The USB was already hooked up before I upgraded.

noise gate is 2-3%
enhancer is a ~2%

Actually usb doesn't seem to increase cpu usage anymoe

turn cab to mono lo res will save ~8%

the motor drive in the speaker block probably causes some increased cpu in the cab block.

As I mentioned I set up the Ultra simular, not exact but close, and it seemed ok. So maybe the G2 modeling takes twice the power of G1? The axe2 is twice the power so it would def have to take quite a bit more if not twice.

So there is something that has not been mentioned that I am aware of. It takes 5-6% more CPU power to playback through the axe2!!!

What would the cause......DA Conversion? Metering?

The USB was already hooked up before I upgraded.

Nothing in life is free. Some added features will require more CPU. This has happened in previous updates as well.

The correct thing to say is that it increased the cpu usage in this particular patch.

Probably the addition of added processing from noise gate, motor drive, enhancer, etc.

noise gate is 2-3%
enhancer is a ~2%

Actually usb doesn't seem to increase cpu usage anymoe

turn cab to mono lo res will save ~8%

the motor drive in the speaker block probably causes some increased cpu in the cab block.

Ok thanks for the tips to make it work better, but it still looks like the more updates we get, the less amount of blocks we can use in one patch.

You mentioned the global gate (I have not used that yet) is this new in 5? I changed nothing on the patch....

As I mentioned I set up the Ultra simular, not exact but close, and it seemed ok. So maybe the G2 modeling takes twice the power of G1? The axe2 is twice the power so it would def have to take quite a bit more if not twice.

the algorithms are more complex on the II. One processor is reserved for amp modeling only.

Delay takes up a lot more cpu, the cab on hires (which is twice the resolution of the ultra) takes up a lot more, etc. It all adds up. Do what I said with the cab set it lo res mono (which is the hi res on the Ultra) and you will be fine

Ok thanks for the tips to make it work better, but it still looks like the more updates we get, the less amount of blocks we can use in one patch.

You mentioned the global gate (I have not used that yet) is this new in 5? I changed nothing on the patch....

Unless you turn off the global gate it is probably on in many patches. on the II go to the layout menu, then the input/gte. Set threshold all the way down to off to turn off gate.

depending on the improvement, yes. If the improvement requires more intense calculations, that will require more cpu, which in turn allows less things to go on if you are using that particular improvement.

Also computer sounds DO take CPU from the axe2. Even my mouse click audio is raising the CPU by 6%.

Sorry, misunderstood what you were saying. Yes playing audio through usb will increase cpu. It has to process that audio. only a couple of % on my setup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom