ver. 5 more CPU hungry?

the algorithms are more complex on the II. One processor is reserved for amp modeling only.

Delay takes up a lot more cpu, the cab on hires (which is twice the resolution of the ultra) takes up a lot more, etc. It all adds up. Do what I said with the cab set it lo res mono (which is the hi res on the Ultra) and you will be fine

Java I apperciate your help but some of the blocks are bypassed anyway and I can pull one or 2 out. I am simply just mentioning the fact that the updates will and does increase CPU usage which is expected and eventualy we will come to a point of deciding which is more important...doing the upgrade or having more CPU for needed FX.

I also didnt know that playback utilized CPU also (Kind of Cool to know). You dont need to fix me so I am ok..... I am just talking...lol

Again thats not meant to be unappreciative......

Last edited:
Unless you turn off the global gate it is probably on in many patches. on the II go to the layout menu, then the input/gte. Set threshold all the way down to off to turn off gate.

depending on the improvement, yes. If the improvement requires more intense calculations, that will require more cpu, which in turn allows less things to go on if you are using that particular improvement.

When I turn off the Gate it saves me a whole 1.5% and the trade off is noise. I am hearing noise even without a guitar plugged into the axe??????

bypassed doesn't matter. It wuill still use the same amount of cpu. Bypass really is just mix = 0. It is still processing the effect.
You have to remove it for it not to take up cpu.

you asked if it was more cpu hungry. I gave an explanation of some of the reasons. :)

BTW the USB usage when playing back has always happened.

Java I apperciate your help but some of the blocks are bypassed anyway and I can pull one or 2 out. I am simply just mentioning the fact that the updates will and do increase CPU usage which is expected. I also didnt know that playback utilized CPU also (Kind of Cool to know). You dont need to fix me so I am ok..... I am just talking...lol

Again thats not meant to be unappreciative......

When I turn off the Gate it saves me a whole 1.5% and the trade off is noise. I am hearing noise even without a guitar plugged into the axe??????

Yes. however the noise is probably coming from your environment. With mine unplugged I can turn up my monitors full blast and I get very little noise and mostly on higain stuff.

bypassed doesn't matter. It wuill still use the same amount of cpu. Bypass really is just mix = 0. It is still processing the effect.
You have to remove it for it not to take up cpu.

you asked if it was more cpu hungry. I gave an explanation of some of the reasons. :)

BTW the USB usage when playing back has always happened.

Dude I know bypassed still uses CPU. I said I have them bypassed and dont need them so I can erase them from the patch.......we on the same page now? LOL

And to let everyone know Im not trying to nit pick the axe2 I love it and am just learning it. I have no problem loosing CPU for a better sound. I just have to maybe try and build a patch that I can use the same amp for FRFR and FXloop/cab but I can never get my cab to sound that great using the same amp for both the amp tone controls are too important.

This is the second firmware that has caused CPU overage issues on one of my patches...I just change some things in the patch and I'm back up and running...

Unless you turn off the global gate it is probably on in many patches. on the II go to the layout menu, then the input/gte. Set threshold all the way down to off to turn off gate.

depending on the improvement, yes. If the improvement requires more intense calculations, that will require more cpu, which in turn allows less things to go on if you are using that particular improvement.

Sean, "global gate", what am I missing? It's per preset (Layout) or in separate blocks Gate bocks, isn't it?

When does USB take up CPU? is it when music is played OR when the USB cable is attached?

Just asking. I had 2/3 patches that were running 88% with cab sims enabled (dont use them most of the time - just for quiet headphone use) and they have jumped to 95%. I gotthem back down to 92% by dumping the synth block (which is only there in case I want it). I also have a tap delay I could do the same with as againits only there as an option. Going Mono Lo Res is also possible I guess - Im sure I wont notice the difference when Im jamming to BTs. If I want to record I can always take out all the blocks I dont want to use and go back to hires.

All my paches have the same layout, and set up to be used with the MFC as a psudo pedalboard so there are many blocks that I dont actually use a lot of the time.

noise gate is 2-3%
enhancer is a ~2%
turn cab to mono lo res will save ~8%

To add to this:

- Turning off global cab simul.: saves 10-11%
- Adding a 2nd amp block: adds 2%
- Making an USB connection: adds about 4%
- Operating an expression pedal: adds about 2% (depends on parameter)

And don't overlook that shunts eat CPU cycles too!
Avoid long parallel lines, merge them at an early point if possible.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=CPU_utilization

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
Back
Top Bottom