Various presets & tricks

11. Sysex parameter increment/decrement etc.

Unlike dragging a control or typing a value in Axe-Edit, putting focus on a parameter then using arrow keys or ctrl + arrow sends "adjust parameter" messages with no value specified. One byte determines the action and can also put a parameter at minimum, or the default you'd get if double-clicking in AE. Usually ctrl+up/down equals one value wheel click on the hardware, and up/down is a larger step. These seem to work for any parameter including block type, even though AE might not always use them.

So with switches sending these commands, you could do things like create ±1 dB switches for any block, or step through items in a list like amp type, cab #, pitch interval/key.

Sometimes the step size might not be very useful in performance. A better approach would probably be to set up switches as up/down for a Manual ABCD knob, then assign that as a modifier source. Then you can also use damping instead of hearing instant jumps. Adjusting scale/slope would let you move through the full modifier range in as few as 7 steps, or up to 100 at defaults. Nothing would stop the ABCD knob from continuing into the dead zone (in 1% steps) if you keep using the switch so watch out for that.

-------------------------

The LAYOUT: MOVE menu actions can also be done via sysex. (Axe-Edit uses the ones for row/column movement but does something else for one-block moves.) A single move block left/right command can swap two adjacent blocks with each press. (Command is specific to grid location, not block.) One use of this might be pre-amp whammy/octave and post-amp harmony at different times from one pitch block. There's no dropout when moving blocks this way, and it seems glitch-free if done while at least one is thru-bypassed (or equivalent with other bypass mode and dry at unity gain).

12. Tone Match as Input 2 block or Multiplexer

The tone match block can bring Input 2 signal to the grid by choosing Input 2 as reference and turning ref. solo on. It can't output a true stereo signal like the FX Loop block, but you have a choice of left/right/sum via ref. channel parameter.

This ends up being like separate In/Out blocks on the Axe III. You can build an In 2 - Out 2 (FX Loop) chain without using feedback send/return, or route Ins 1 & 2 to Out 1 while keeping Out 2 Echo functional. Two mono loops at different points is also possible without feedback send/return.

TMA can work as a multiplexer too, selecting different rows via ref. source modifier (assign w/ FracPad). Note that it will always say "Row 1" for min/max but the controls do move through the different options in the same order as the front panel parameter (Order is different in Axe-Edit popup list.) Choosing a row with no connection to TMA will act as if Input 1 is selected, so if using this as a mute function you'd have to place a shunt and connect to TMA.

Ref. solo will normally be off when loading a preset, regardless of its state when the preset was stored. To work around this, create a modifier to keep solo enabled (any source, min & max both "on"). The display will flash "TMA - REF SOLO'D" but this doesn't cause any problems other than being annoying if editing on front panel. TMA CPU usage drops nicely with ref. solo on, from 5-8% to around 1% plus a little extra for any modifiers.

1. Hotel California - Verse 2

Generate 5 harmony parts with one guitar. Video/audio demo: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/hotel-california-verse-2.135713/

Global scales

Four global scales need to be configured. If you want to use scales other than 1/2/3/4, Voice 1 Scale & Voice 2 Scale parameters will have to be adjusted in Pitch 1 X & Y states.

Code:
GS# 1  2  3  4

A   4  4 -4 -5
A#  3  3 -4 -4
B   3  3 -4 -5
C   3  5 -4 -3
C#  4  5 -4 -3
D   4  5 -5 -3
D#  3 -3 -5 -7
E   3 -3 -5 -7
F   3 -4 -5 -7
F#  3 -4 -3 -7
G   4 -4 -3 -7
G#  3  3 -4 -4

ADSRs

ADSR 1 & 2 thresholds should be low enough to trigger consistently on beat 1 of measures 9-15. If they're set too low, the first note of measure 9 may not always trigger properly. Check for that and adjust as needed, using the same threshold value for both ADSRs. ADSR response can be tested by watching Vol/Pan 1's volume parameter on front panel.

Vibrato

Bending certain notes more than 50 cents will make harmonies jump to wrong notes. Reduce vibrato width if this happens, or try a floating bridge for vibrato above/below resting pitch. Make vib. rate 8th triplet (3 cycles/beat) or so for smoothest transition to MTD trail in scenes 3-6.

Tempo

Preset is saved at original song's tempo, 74 BPM. Sequencer and delay used in scenes 5 & 6 are tempo-based. Tap the tempo somewhere earlier for best sync if playing without a recording/click.

Scene changes

A scene increment switch is ideal. Follow the chart here (play only full-size notes) for scene changes:

Scene 3 should be triggered slightly after the beat to avoid sending a short blip to MTD. Aim to be a 16th note late. Anywhere from a few ms to an 8th note is fine.

Scene 4 can be triggered anytime before playing the higher G# in the measure. (Scene 3 also gives the correct harmony on the low G#, and there's no glitch when changing.)

Scenes 5, 6, 7 should be triggered exactly on the beat. Scene 8 can be on the beat or slightly early if preferred while sliding out of previous note. Scenes 5 & 6 depend on the sequencer beginning in Scene 5, so if you stop playing while testing it may be out of sync when resuming. (Go back to scene 4 and play into scene 5 for proper results.)

IPN9M5X.jpg

@Bakerman I'm figuring this out on the AxIII. Fortunately, it seems like it will be much easier and I may not need all the additional ADSR and envelope stuff since it sounds pretty good just using the pitch block. One thing I need to know: Which custom scales are used in each scene?? Thanks.

Joe

13. Stereo double-tracker ver. 2

This uses a different delay time switching approach that's quieter than the earlier doubler preset.

Pitch block randomly switches between voices with 0 ms and 4 ms delay while flanger adds a drifting additional delay. "Post" preset has one amp block and mono cab. To use a stereo cab, place cab block last.

The phaser might help note attacks sound less mono when the channel-swapping filter engages or bypasses, but it could optionally be removed. If deleting from "post" preset also remove the filter above it.

Try increasing pitch detune amounts, voice 2 delay and flanger time for a wider/looser sound.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xtwd5iqd9waimet/doubler2-post-pre.mp3

Attachments

• Double-tracker 2 (post).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Double-tracker 2 (pre).syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 73
2. Real transient detection

With envelope controller as ASDR threshold modifier (assignable w/ FracPad, adjustable in Axe-Edit afterward) the ADSR can be triggered with nearly any picked note, instead of only when crossing a fixed threshold.

The threshold needs to hover some distance above the current level and have its upward movement slowed enough for picked notes to cross it. Default modifier curve w/ offset around 8% and envelope attack around 15 ms works.

Possible uses:

Autowah/envelope filter effects

Reducing/removing pick attack with a short delay and ADSR volume control

I had missed this. Trying this tonight!

Sorry Yek, I've been looking for a good Hotel California preset for the III, and hadn't really searched when I saw this thread. I think I found an interesting one I'm gonna play with tonight.

hello! sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I wanted to try some of these awesome patches for my Ax8, FracTool does not seem to be able to convert them properly. Did anybody manage to port them to Ax8? I was mainly interested in the
2. real transient detection,
8.improved switching and
9.synth bass drone.

Trying to learn some advanced stuff about the unit and this seems to be a great source, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom