Van Halen vs Racer x

I’ve listened to Racer X since the early 90s, but didn’t get into VH until a few years ago. I mean, I read this, and automatically Hammer Away is busting through my brain. To meld the two, just listen to the last song on Street Lethal; it’s very much an homage to VH, as I see it.

I really love so much about VH, but for enjoyment, it has to be Racer X for me; they’re just more aggressive, more metal, and the style just naturally speaks to me. I’ve always thought of Racer X as a perfect crossover of NWOBHM and cock rock.

I didn't learn of Racer X until I met a guy who took over a project for me, who turned out to also love Dream Theater, so as we became good friends, he turned me onto lots of stuff I'd never heard. I knew of Paul Gilbert, but my buddy Mark was the one who told me he had been in Racer X. This was in the 2000's, but I had heard of VH as soon as VH1 hit. It was all the rage in my HS.

So they're 2 totally different bands for me, but I'd have to say VH is my favorite, of many, many bands, just because of Eddie. As amazing a player Paul & Bruce both were in that band, Eddie was just on a whole nother level, with all the new stuff he was doing, for me. Not the exact question you asked, but yeah, Racer X was a killer band. First time I heard Technical Difficulties, I was floored!! I'm still trying to learn it. 🤣

I’ve listened to Racer X since the early 90s, but didn’t get into VH until a few years ago. I mean, I read this, and automatically Hammer Away is busting through my brain. To meld the two, just listen to the last song on Street Lethal; it’s very much an homage to VH, as I see it.

I really love so much about VH, but for enjoyment, it has to be Racer X for me; they’re just more aggressive, more metal, and the style just naturally speaks to me. I’ve always thought of Racer X as a perfect crossover of NWOBHM and cock rock.
Well gilbert has always been a van halen fan and for me racer x are van halen next step.. Paul is great and well known as a shredder but in fact is a very complete guitar player both solo and rythm.. And great riff creator i d say expecially with racer x..

The scene of the drilling machine with the pick getting stuck into Paul's hair is priceless. Definitively a step beyond David Lee Roth breaking his nose in a jump.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Kinda like comparing a boat to a car, not in the same category. They both are perfection at what they do/did but Racer-X probably wouldn't have happened like much of the guitar oriented hard-rock scene without Eddie. Eddie is hands down the best because he didn't have the influencers that those after him had. The timely order of greatness is Les Paul, Jimmy Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen with Eddie having far more influence in the guitar world than anyone else. There are multitudes of other amazing players but 99% were just spin-offs of the above.

Kinda like comparing a boat to a car, not in the same category. They both are perfection at what they do/did but Racer-X probably wouldn't have happened like much of the guitar oriented hard-rock scene without Eddie. Eddie is hands down the best because he didn't have the influencers that those after him had. The timely order of greatness is Les Paul, Jimmy Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen with Eddie having far more influence in the guitar world than anyone else. There are multitudes of other amazing players but 99% were just spin-offs of the above.

I didnt say spin off.. Some cases ok but in others i think is an evolution... I already said that gilbert is a evh fan and the starting point is Clear.. But i think he push towards what was already started..

What's YM doing in that list? <ducks, kinda, not sorry>

What's YM doing in that list? <ducks, kinda, not sorry>
To be fair, he single-handedly spawned a whole genre of music.

He's quite talented and his early music was well done (for what it was).

Unfortunately, he's a bit (ok, a lot!) arrogant and pompous. And his music has devolved from actual songs with (a lot!) of guitar to guitar with a little bit of music...

Back
Top Bottom