Van Halen 5150 Tone Breakthrough

A couple of questions on the preset (it sounds amazing).
  1. What are the two cabs supposed to be in the CAB 2 block (it did not automatically set them when I did the import).
  2. Opps, forget it, you covered it on page 2.
1720061180233.png

Last edited:
  1. What are the two cabs supposed to be in the CAB 2 block (it did not automatically set them when I did the import).
View attachment 142479
Shoot my bad. I didn't think of that. I cant remember off the top of my head (at work atm) but I'm semi-sure it was a Marshall 4x12 Celestion GB25 IR with a 4037 mic in the 3rd slot (not the brightest variation), and the 4th slot but is the same as the 3rd cabwise, but the mic was an m160 mic (also not the brightest variation). I'll try to get the cabs uploaded in a zip once im home.

As far as how I thought to try the detuning method, I came across the schematic included in this post. I Noticed that there were 2 signals coming out of the first harmonizer. I assumed that one could be dry and the other was wet because there aren't 2 signals coming out of the second harmonizer. Also, just listening to the album again, I couldn't help but noticed the ever so slight delay in the right speaker. The Haas effect is a method I was really exposed to in college and a method I unknowingly implemented in productions prior. I figured that maybe this is whats happening in the recording and I was floored by how much that got me there. I also decided to apply the haas effect to the harmonizer to improve the modulation effect that was occurring. So half was referencing the diagram, and the other half was just messing around.

Whether or not I deciphered the diagram correctly, it helped me arrive to where I did. Also, I noticed you had both amp blocks on in the picture you posted (or at least thats what Im seeing?), you only need one engaged at a time. I'm aware that the diagram differs in the sense that the cabs were the last in line, but I was more focused on the detuning situation.

Attachments

• lwan-eddies-signal-chain-scheme-v0-0xwgii8f9b7a1.jpeg
    lwan-eddies-signal-chain-scheme-v0-0xwgii8f9b7a1.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
View attachment 142479
So I was very wrong about my assumptions 😅 Here are the cabs

Attachments

• 3rd Slot 4x12 Marshall GB MD421 F.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 4th Slot 4x12 Marshall GB AT4047 D.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 50
Here are some tweaks to the preset after noticing some things. I increased the level of detune in the looser setting as well as increase the level o haas effect to make things a bit more exaggerated. Kind of like on get up. Use the cabs above for the second cab block. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 5150 Tone Test 7.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
Hi
Was there supposed to be attachments?
Thanks
Pauly
Here are some tweaks to the preset after noticing some things. I increased the level of detune in the looser setting as well as increase the level o haas effect to make things a bit more exaggerated. Kind of like on get up. Use the cabs above for the second cab block. Enjoy.

Test 6 is the closest to my ears. I've been chasing that tone with the Fractal to this day. I also heard that Best of Both Worlds was a strat from Dweezil's podcast. Now when I play it in the #4 position it nails it. But 5150 has always been a tough tone to nail because the detune has to be just right. I'm looking forward to 'stealing' your pitch setup to add to my main preset because I love playing that song. It also impresses my long time buddies who are all VH nuts like me.

Test 6 is the closest to my ears. I've been chasing that tone with the Fractal to this day. I also heard that Best of Both Worlds was a strat from Dweezil's podcast. Now when I play it in the #4 position it nails it. But 5150 has always been a tough tone to nail because the detune has to be just right. I'm looking forward to 'stealing' your pitch setup to add to my main preset because I love playing that song. It also impresses my long time buddies who are all VH nuts like me.
Feel free to steal haha! I don’t know what it is about the virtual capos vs. the dual detune, but the virtual capo just behaves better for some reason. The virtual capo has better integrity for lack of a better term. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Feel free to steal haha! I don’t know what it is about the virtual capos vs. the dual detune, but the virtual capo just behaves better for some reason. The virtual capo has better integrity for lack of a better term. 🤷🏼‍♂️
lol. based on user feedback in the fw26 thread. It sounds like there is a current issue with the capo.

Idk what the deal is with that. All I know is that the patch sounds good. Maybe it will improve when they fix the issue. I saw that in the 26fw thread too

Idk what the deal is with that. All I know is that the patch sounds good. Maybe it will improve when they fix the issue. I saw that in the 26fw thread too
the patch sounds great from the clips. I can't wait to try it with my Axis. Waiting on 26.1 first. I was going to skip 26 altogether but now I have to do it because of you. :)

edit: are you able to try the same -12 clean test that was done in that thread to see if you have the same phasey/tremolo issue?

Last edited:
the patch sounds great from the clips. I can't wait to try it with my Axis. Waiting on 26.1 first. I was going to skip 26 altogether but now I have to do it because of you. :)

edit: are you able to try the same -12 clean test that was done in that thread to see if you have the same phasey/tremolo issue?
I was honestly having a weird phasey issue with the detuning, but nothing in the realm of tremolo. Implementing an additional haas delay before the right pitch block greatly reduced the phasing and made things more solid.

Back
Top Bottom