Van Halen 5150 Tone Breakthrough

So I feel like I've taken this as far as I could. There was a moment last night where I over-tweaked and almost couldn't make it back (SAVE CONTROL PRESETS!!). Luckily, I think I might of made it a bit better than 5? It's a bit more washy like the record and theres a presence there now that's almost like the recording. I uploaded tones from both tests 3 and 6 because some people still like 3, and some like 6. If you can take it any further or improve it, feel free and please post your results here.

I'm extremely proud of myself for being able to crack this after 15 years of trying. I'm profoundly thankful to all constructive feedback from this community. Thanks for all of your help. I hope this isn't the end of the development of this patch, but please, enjoy either way. As stated in the beginning, this tone is going into an Apollo interface into the 1084 channel strip, and the Pultec is still there engaged boosted at 1 at 8k.

Also, if you look in the other amp block, I threw in some alternate amps that evh has used in the past with some of what I think are decent settings. Just so y'all can mess around. ☺️

Also, this was made on an Axe III. Not sure of compatibility with other units. Created with FW 26.

Attachments

• 5150 Tone 3.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 5150 Tone 6.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
This sounds amazing! And I’m just listening with low volume on my iPhone. Sounds huge! This is stellar work. So very interested in your detuning and Haas delay. It sounds so natural, it’s to the point where you almost don’t notice the effect, but you know something was done to the tone to make it killer sounding. To me, that’s the hardest thing to do. It’s easy to crank on a bunch of detuning. It’s very hard to do what you’ve done. Please don’t tweak too much longer before you post the preset, this is starting to get like waiting for a season finale for me! 🤣
ask and you shall receive. Thanks for the kind words!!!

So I feel like I've taken this as far as I could. There was a moment last night where I over-tweaked and almost couldn't make it back (SAVE CONTROL PRESETS!!). Luckily, I think I might of made it a bit better than 5? It's a bit more washy like the record and theres a presence there now that's almost like the recording. I feel like I've take it as far as I can though. I uploaded tones from both tests 3 and 6 because some people still like 3, and some like 6. If you can take it any further or improve it, feel free and please post your results here.

I'm extremely proud in myself for being able to crack this after 15 years of trying. I'm profoundly thankful to all constructive feedback from this community. Thanks for all of your help. I hope this isn't the end of the development of this patch, but please, enjoy either way. As stated in the beginning, this tone is going into an Apollo interface into the 1084 channel strip, and the Pultec is still there engaged boosted at 1 at 8k.

Also, if you look in the other amp block, I threw in some alternate amps that evh has used in the past with some of what I think are decent settings. Just so y'all can mess around. ☺️

Also, this was made on an Axe III. Not sure of compatibility with other units.

I love Van Halen tones and have no patience to create. Can’t wait to download these. They sound great on the clips. Thanks for allowing all to enjoy. And thanks to anyone who has posted EVH presets on exchange. There are a lot of good ones I enjoy cranking up.

So I feel like I've taken this as far as I could. There was a moment last night where I over-tweaked and almost couldn't make it back (SAVE CONTROL PRESETS!!). Luckily, I think I might of made it a bit better than 5? It's a bit more washy like the record and theres a presence there now that's almost like the recording. I feel like I've take it as far as I can though. I uploaded tones from both tests 3 and 6 because some people still like 3, and some like 6. If you can take it any further or improve it, feel free and please post your results here.

I'm extremely proud in myself for being able to crack this after 15 years of trying. I'm profoundly thankful to all constructive feedback from this community. Thanks for all of your help. I hope this isn't the end of the development of this patch, but please, enjoy either way. As stated in the beginning, this tone is going into an Apollo interface into the 1084 channel strip, and the Pultec is still there engaged boosted at 1 at 8k.

Also, this was made on an Axe III. Not sure of compatibility with other units.

These sound great! Are you using the same 5150 preset for the other clips Best of Both Worlds and Summer nights or are those separate presets?

These sound great! Are you using the same 5150 preset for the other clips Best of Both Worlds and Summer nights or are those separate presets?

Thank You! Same patch, same guitar (MusicMan Axis) for 5150 and Summer Nights. Same patch but different guitar (Squier Mini Strat with some pickups from Amazon 😅) for Best of both Worlds. 4th Pickup Position.

Last edited:
So I've been a huge fan of the 5150 tone from Van Halen's 1986 Album of the same name since I've heard it. It's been the most enigmatic tone I've ever heard and I've always tried to recreate it. I think I finally made a break through and would love feedback on where I've gotten so far. Going straight into my Apollo Interface with the 1084 Channel Strip set flat, as well as going through a pultec with some 8k boosted at 1.

That's as close as I've ever heard. Awesome job!

Fabulous work!! WOW 🤘

Just a little side bar-->OFTEN isolated tracks sound different than when they "get into the mix."
You are trying some things on and that's awesome, just remember the mixed track is going to sound different than the isolated guitar...

Usually the low-end is "cut" or lowered on the iso track to make sure there's no frequency overlap. Meaning the bass and low-end (guitar freq's) generally get mixed in later, if at all. Also, the gain is usually lower than "we" think...live and recording in the studio are totally different animals.

But seriously, I'd really enjoy playing around with tone this myself, if you feel willing to upload the preset.

Again, great work my friend!! Love it 🎼
Of for sure, I know where you are coming from. I uploaded the patch so feel free to mess around with it. I’ve experimented with cutting the bass off a little bit and trying to get it as produced, sounding as the track.

I appreciate the love! Have fun.

I love Van Halen tones and have no patience to create. Can’t wait to download these. They sound great on the clips. Thanks for allowing all to enjoy. And thanks to anyone who has posted EVH presets on exchange. There are a lot of good ones I enjoy cranking up.
Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom