Van Halen 1 Cygnus?

Cygnus has gotten SO good that all you need to do is take your favorite Plexi ( mine is the 6AC7 ! ) .... Dime EVERYTHING ..., engage the Fat switch & Bright Switch .... Next in the Power Supply Tab, lower the Variac ( 70% ) & increase the Supply Sag ( to taste ). Then in the Speaker Tab, I add just a little Speaker Compression approx. 3.00 ( to simulate a LOUD amp ) and finally in the Dynamics Tab I add a little Gain Enhancer 2.00 ....

After that you just need to audition your favorite Greenback Cab ( I look for one of the "brightest" ones ) pan that approx. -65 ( left ) ....

Finally ..., I LOVE the Sun Plate in Parallel w/ 100 Mix & 100% Input Gain panned approx. +65 ( right ) ....

Everything else to taste ( Phaser, Flanger, Echo, etc; ) .... Boom !! Almost instant VH I & VH II !!!!

Pretty much exactly what Eddie did back in the day ....

Good Luck !
This is brilliant. Thanks. This plus @Burgs Phaser setting and the YA M25 cab is just so much fun. I discovered this days after finally getting an EVH Wolfgang USA Stealth and have had a total blast. I did tweak the Sunplate a little bit as it sounded a bit boomy on anything but Ultra quality- I have an FM3 so left it on high and tweaked the room size down a bit.

This is brilliant. Thanks. This plus @Burgs Phaser setting and the YA M25 cab is just so much fun. I discovered this days after finally getting an EVH Wolfgang USA Stealth and have had a total blast. I did tweak the Sunplate a little bit as it sounded a bit boomy on anything but Ultra quality- I have an FM3 so left it on high and tweaked the room size down a bit.
Check out Leon's gift browner preset they just gave away. It's great.
https://www.fractalaudio.com/gift-o...169390967&mc_cid=210d810ba1&mc_eid=31c92110b8

Cygnus has gotten SO good that all you need to do is take your favorite Plexi ( mine is the 6AC7 ! ) .... Dime EVERYTHING ..., engage the Fat switch & Bright Switch .... Next in the Power Supply Tab, lower the Variac ( 70% ) & increase the Supply Sag ( to taste ). Then in the Speaker Tab, I add just a little Speaker Compression approx. 3.00 ( to simulate a LOUD amp ) and finally in the Dynamics Tab I add a little Gain Enhancer 2.00 ....

After that you just need to audition your favorite Greenback Cab ( I look for one of the "brightest" ones ) pan that approx. -65 ( left ) ....

Finally ..., I LOVE the Sun Plate in Parallel w/ 100 Mix & 100% Input Gain panned approx. +65 ( right ) ....

Everything else to taste ( Phaser, Flanger, Echo, etc; ) .... Boom !! Almost instant VH I & VH II !!!!

Pretty much exactly what Eddie did back in the day ....

Good Luck !

Agreed!! With a little help from this thread and a couple of presets it's not that difficult to dial in an early VH tone on the fly (and I'm new as hell to Fractal lol, barely even understand how to navigate around which btw, Axe Edit is a godsend). I took some stuff I liked from a preset as a base (believe it was Pete Thorns) and mixed it up a bit with tips from this thread and bang, I have a core VH tone that is close enough for me (core meaning I didn't bother with coloring effects, just the pissed off marshall vibe + verb splash)!! This piece of gear is ridiculous!

Agreed!! With a little help from this thread and a couple of presets it's not that difficult to dial in an early VH tone on the fly (and I'm new as hell to Fractal lol, barely even understand how to navigate around which btw, Axe Edit is a godsend). I took some stuff I liked from a preset as a base (believe it was Pete Thorns) and mixed it up a bit with tips from this thread and bang, I have a core VH tone that is close enough for me (core meaning I didn't bother with coloring effects, just the pissed off marshall vibe + verb splash)!! This piece of gear is ridiculous!

Dude that sounds freaking great nice work you should put it on exchange when you have a moment

OH 412 MRBW Raw D57-V-00
OH 412 MRBW Raw D57-V-FRED ( -7.0 dB )
OH 412 MRBW Raw R-121-00 ( -10.0 dB ) - only if you don't get enough low end ....
OK - I missed this. Just put this into CabLab and wowsers, that adds some snarl and sizzle. I love it.

O.K., a quick update ....

I switched Cabs after Dweezil dropped his "Gift of Tone" @ X-mas .... I started using his Cabs in my preset ( see post # 2 in this thread ) ....

However ..., the new Dyna-Cabs made finding "the tone" even easier ! I just loaded up either the 1960 TV or the 5153 Cabs w/ the Dynamic Mic and a 2nd matching Cab w/ the Ribbon Mic. Both Mics on the Cap w/ 0.00 cm of distance ( brightest sound possible ) ! Then I reduce the Ribbon Mic until I get the desired amount of bottom end.

I didn't think it could get any easier ..., but damn was I wrong !

@Burgs - I'm curious if you found the same thing ?

Yep. I have been loving these for recording. In fact, just last night I was working on yet another Dumble-based preset, using the two Rumble cabs available in the Dyna-Cab selection, and I found that by closing my eyes and using only my ears while shifting mic placement around, I was getting great results in terms of where the cab sat in the mix (I try to always calibrate to a quality backing track). That method has been harped on about before, but the current software just makes it so much easier and quicker to actually do. Love the Dyna-Cabs!

Had a hankerin to play some good ol VH (Mean Street in particular) and found this thread. What a find! In 5 minutes I have an outrageously accurate tone and have been on a pure VH I-II-FW jam for days now!

I went ahead and grabbed that OH GNR cab set after watching @Burgs video because WOW that iconic sound and feel really is special.

This entire thread has been a glorious discovery. @R.D. and @Burgs thank you SO much for sharing all this great info and inspiring me to follow suit. I actually laughed outloud like a madman for a moment when I built R.D.s model and hit those first notes!!

The AxeFX platform never ceases to bring the biggest smile to my face and a pure contentment to life. I've sold most of my 35 years of full stacks, Marshall heads, combo amps and rack gear and have never felt more complete. The kind sharing of knowledge and technique here is such a blessing, big round of applause one and all!!!

It is crazy, this tidal wave of Fractal change that is taking over the world, one musician at a time!
Truly truly the BEST money I have ever spent on gear!
What a joy to play Fractal, thanks to all of you on the FAS team.

I switched Cabs after Dweezil dropped his "Gift of Tone" @ X-mas .... I started using his Cabs in my preset ( see post # 2 in this thread ) ....

However ..., the new Dyna-Cabs made finding "the tone" even easier ! I just loaded up either the 1960 TV or the 5153 Cabs w/ the Dynamic Mic and a 2nd matching Cab w/ the Ribbon Mic. Both Mics on the Cap w/ 0.00 cm of distance ( brightest sound possible ) ! Then I reduce the Ribbon Mic until I get the desired amount of bottom end.

I didn't think it could get any easier ..., but damn was I wrong !

The Dweezil Eruption Dark/Bright IR's really are spot on for the VH1 sound. They have the upper mid sizzle and low end thump you hear on the record. I have the Bright cab dialed back -30db's

Back
Top Bottom