Van Halen 1 Cygnus?

Obviously.

I think this should sound right!

Nice Guitar ! You should add an D-Tuna ...

Are you playing through monitors ?

The YT-Video and the preset sound very similar and I use an Les Paul with SD APH-2. But I have no idea if that sounds like VH?

. Jake E Lee's seems to be a JCM 800 or just a dry Marshall to my ears. More in his fingers. I do believe I read he preferred 75watt Celestions because he preferred the distortion come from the amp, not the speakers. But now he's using a 5153 and presumably the 5153 speakers (guessing).

Jake is great! He had his own Signature amp made by Friedman on his last tour. It is roughly based
off of the Freidman Smallbox and then tweaked from there to Jake's spec. Would love to hear both
Bark At The Moon remixed and mastered again. I guess both Ozzy and Jake heated the keyboard
heavy mix, but the record company insisted it would make the album more "popular." Guess they
were competing with Duran Duran at the time. ;)

Nice Guitar ! You should add an D-Tuna ...

Are you playing through monitors ?

The YT-Video and the preset sound very similar and I use an Les Paul with SD APH-2. But I have no idea if that sounds like VH?
I've been playing Vh tunes for years. My rig is ;Axe3-Matrix gt100fx2u in to passive Xitones with f12x200s in them . I have a d but I don't use it.

I've been playing Vh tunes for years. My rig is ;Axe3-Matrix gt100fx2u in to passive Xitones with f12x200s in them . I have a d but I don't use it.
I too have 2 Thiele-Small cabs with F12x200 and they sound darker than my monitors. Not much but there is an difference. But it's more fun to use the cabs.

I too have 2 Thiele-Small cabs with F12x200 and they sound darker than my monitors. Not much but there is an difference. But it's more fun to use the cabs.
I had them in Mesa Thiele cabs to start with but they were way too coloured.

You guys are helping me, too! I'm very grateful.

Early EVH is one of the top five tones I wanted to deep dive on when I got my FM3 last week. It's also really cool to come here to hang out and get to see posts by the folks from YouTube who helped me commit to joining the Fractal Audio movement (finally) and also helping me get to work right away. There is so much about this layout that isn't intuitive to me yet. I'd tag them all but don't want to be rude. If you suspect you're among them and you're on YouTube, you're probably right. :yum:

I'll keep following your lead while i try to personalize the tone for me.

As a noob I am currently just trying to nail down great "naked" amp sounds on my own. Not for performance, but for building a small stable of go-to amps that respond well to my hands (performance later, learning-curve first).
The element I'm focusing now is figuring out how to pair and dial in IRs that draw me closer. I use Leon's method of auditioning cabs, and once I find a pair that I like (they need to complement each other, imho, say one that's a little bassy and one that's sharper) I pan them L/R (75-100%) and use the room/air controls to put just a tight room ambience on them to give them presence in space. I have also had good results adding in a little Air at the default (?) 5kHz. It sizzles so nicely! Panning the guitar sound hard left and putting a reverb on the right (as it sounds on the album) is the sort of stuff I would do in my DAW so unless I was jamming with backing tracks I wouldn't use a preset that way. I also need to play with the mic-pre, since I grew up micing cabs and still tend to think that way. Also, the reverbs really do sound a lot better at Normal and above but the CPU hit suggests to me that I should save reverb blocks for playing live and doing the rest in the DAW with plugins when recording.

Since I am so very new here I'll round out that top five tones in no particular order (get to know meee!):
SRV
EVH
Robben Ford
Ty Tabor (Dogman era)
Jake E. Lee (Badlands era)

I'd swap out Jake for Nuno's tone on Punchline, it's one of the best tones put to tape despite the difficulties birthing that album, which are legendary. I can happily wait and will be fine if we don't get a '63 Vibro-verb, since I already have more awesome amps, most of which I only know by reputation, to keep me busy for the forsee-able right here in this magic box.

Still having a hard time believing that part, but every time I turn it on and plug it in... it's still real. Someone pinch me.
100% on the Jake Badlands tone and Nuno on Punchline (Cynical sounds killer).

My new Frankie! With a D-Tuna!
I'm loving my new Frankie. The pickup is awesome, IMO. I'm thinking of swapping the JB out in my Charvel. But I haven't been able to put down the Frankie since I got it. I've gotten used to the 9's on it too and I have to play with some touch or the intonation is off. I picked up one of my other guitars with 10s and went to the preset for that guitar and it's like I'm playing through a lower gain amp and having to 'fight' it a bit. I used to never step on a drive switch with that preset and guitar. I need to put down the Frankie and get back to playing. I'm wearing out the VH playlist at home and the guitar has spoiled me. It's also really light, which is surprising. I thought Ed went with a heavy Boogie body but whatever...it sounds killer and if I drop or scratch it, WHO CARES!!

Oh well these sound good in the video and rubbish through my GT1000fx and Xitones.

I'm guessing you gotta find a right IR fit. I don't think I've ever downloaded someone else's preset and got it to sound just like their videos. Leon's presets need some tweaks and his IR doesn't jive with me. BUT....I'm not playing at the loudness that he plays at, or what I assume he plays at, Gig/rehearsal levels.

I'm guessing you gotta find a right IR fit. I don't think I've ever downloaded someone else's preset and got it to sound just like their videos. Leon's presets need some tweaks and his IR doesn't jive with me. BUT....I'm not playing at the loudness that he plays at, or what I assume he plays at, Gig/rehearsal levels.
This is why buying presets is not a good idea. Yes the ir is probably not right for my rig but in theory they all should work. The preset just sounds like a cheap distortion pedal.

This is why buying presets is not a good idea. Yes the ir is probably not right for my rig but in theory they all should work. The preset just sounds like a cheap distortion pedal.
For the AX8 and Ax3 I bought AB’s naked amp pack. All of them sound good to me, but I ended tweaking and using them as a starting point. I used to married to an OH combination of two IRs, one with a 57 the other with a 121. But AB had a blend of Cabs that I found that is now my go to.

Back
Top Bottom