Vai'sh Preset

I like the tone but I really dig the tune. Was that yours or a Vai track you're covering?

That's a Vai tune... Die to Live from the excellent Alien Love Secrets album (probably my favorite after Passion and Warfare).
If I'm being honest: I know Passion & Warfare front-to-back but everything else I've only ever dabbled in. A track here, a track there. Similar for Satriani: I went deep on Surfing..., Flying..., and The Extremist and then kind of started to move away from it all after that. It coincides with me falling in to Phish in the mid-90s, I think.

My favorite Vai album is with David Lee Roth: Eat ‘m and smile.
That's a Damn Good choice (pun intended). Definitely among my favorite rock albums. I'm also a big fan of Dave before he went completely off the rails.

Skyscraper is good too, but in a different way.

If I'm being honest: I know Passion & Warfare front-to-back but everything else I've only ever dabbled in. A track here, a track there. Similar for Satriani: I went deep on Surfing..., Flying..., and The Extremist and then kind of started to move away from it all after that. It coincides with me falling in to Phish in the mid-90s, I think.
Alien Love Secrets is really good because it's not a bunch of orchestrated, overdubbed guitars.

It's essentially a single guitar throughout each song. Very different from P&W and pretty much most other Vai instrumental stuff.

I was going to suggest a couple tracks but all are very good.

Ya-Yo Gakk has a great story and always makes me smile!

Bad Horsie is a live fan favorite, as is Tender Surrender - a most excellent guitar ballad.

Really, give the whole album a listen.

Back
Top Bottom