VAI hears 1/1000th of a second latency in Modeling (No Way cheap shot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting the focus on Steve's statement about latency! When I saw this vid (I'm a big Beato/Vai fan), my only thought was: "How does Vai NOT notice the absence of power amp characteristics that are true to the preamp being used? At his level, how does he tolerate a generic power amp across multiple preamps?"

Am I missing something re Synergy power amp characteristics?

Last edited:
Yeah he kind of lost his credibility with me when in the last years video where he said and i'm paraphrasing... tone comes from the preamp not the power amp. As we all know (I would hope by now), poweramps can make a HUGE difference in the final product coming out of the speakers.

I've never experienced discernable latency with the Axe FX III. I use it exclusively for recording, and I think that's where you'd feel it or notice it too. In fact, if it was that significant, that would mean that anything I play to the grid, would actually show up behind the beat because of the so called latency. It's more like the other way around because I rush like hell sometimes hahahaha.
This!
Really that simple and true.

I’m old school in regards to business ethics, and integrity.
This world of attaining gain at any expense, is sad.

I love Fractal and real amps.
The latency that VAI animated with his voice, does not ring true in the AXE III.

ive worked with that kind of latency many years ago, but it no longer exists. I’m talking about per physical modeler without anything else in the chain to be very clear.

The 1ms thing, whatever. It’s just ridiculous. I won’t stir that pot anymore.

No human, regardless of ability, can detect 1.3 ms of latency. That's how long it takes sound to travel about 16 inches. If you are 10 feet from your speakers it's taking the sound 10 ms to reach you.

Tube amp sales are in rapid decline. Whenever a disruptive technology comes along those who are being impacted will resort to disparagement to hawk their wares.
This!

Nothing more.
Spot on!

Interesting that someone is willing to sacrifice tone to a floyd rose trem system but then is concerned with a minimum of latency that is lower than standing a few feet away from the cab...:)
(What latency did the H3000 have back in th days?)

If he thinks, he can hear it...so it is true. It is TRUE, that he THINKS, that he can hear it. ;-)
Absolutely correct...if what everyone cares most about is Mr. Vai's subjective experience while playing.

For those whose interest is oriented towards their own future purchasing decisions, it's a whole 'nuther thang.

;)

I own two SYN-2 chassis along with five Synergy and three of the old Egnater modules. They sound good. But since I bought my AF3 they are all on the shelf, unplugged. Will I ever use them again? Probably. Maybe. Do they sound better than the AF3? No. They simply sound different, that's all. The Axe-FX gives me things that no tube preamp will ever give. Crazy flexibility. Great, consistent tone. Reliability. And, to top it off, it literally evolves with every firmware update and becomes a new product over time. The list of advantages is extensive and obvious.

For me lately, a big thing is simplicity- my old rig was very complex with lots of cabling including MIDI patching. Now, I have an FC-12, AF3, and monitors. It's a beautiful thing.

Latency will never be an issue for me using the Axe-FX 3 for both live and recording. I don't hear it, don't feel it. But I'm not Steve Vai, I'm just an old weekend warrior who rocks my neighborhood every Saturday night. So far no one has called the police, which means I still have something to reach for.

Some famous people is on cults like Scientology
Are you basing this ignorant statement on first-hand knowledge?

In other words, you've personally walked into a Church of Scientology and seen for yourself how incredibly opposite of a cult we really are?
I'd at least respect your statement if so.

But, it's likely you're just spewing the same old canned media/psychiatric/big pharma nonsense.

Just goes to show how gullible some still are.
I took you as more intelligent

I though that was funny, but then it got me to thinking: isn't that part of how we establish the direction of a sound source? According to the difference in time it reaches one ear versus the other?

Yes, basically...

There are frequency, temporal and some phases cues. Depends on the frequency of the stimulus more than anything since higher frequency sound waves tend to be more directional and longer wavelengths tend to bend around the head, so more of a “head shadow” at certain tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom