Vai Academy 2019

Southwesttone

Hey guys! I just have to put this out there. I attended the Vai Academy this year, and I was on the fence about going... the players were phenomenal as always... Larry Mitchell was incredible and I'm COMPLETELY in love with his sound!!

To be honest, the decision to go was made the SECOND I saw that Matt Picone was going to be there. Of course i watched most of the players... but i spent the majority of my time there in Matt's breakout room listening and watching everything he did.Im sure he was tired of seeing me walk in, but the topic was "sound sculpting "... so who better??His understanding of sound, and explanations gave me so much inspiration. Extremely thankful for his time!

Thanks @Southwesttone. Thanks to ALL of the other "Fractal Family" members who made this Vai Academy into such a Fractal-focused event for EVERYONE there. I hope I was able to provide everyone with the best possible experiences, on behalf of both Fractal Audio Systems and Steve Vai. Working on stage and off with Steve, Devin, Larry, Plini and the Dreamcatcher staff was fantastic. We improved live rigs, shared "secrets", created new things, and deepened both professional relationships and friendships. The "breakout" classes will stand out in my memory as a perfect example of what sets our community apart-- filled with intelligent, engaged, interesting and talented people. I'll say this: a week of real-life face-to-face interactions can offset a year of the typical downsides of online interaction. Everyone was so polite and personable. As for the many new people (or "upgraders") who purchased the demo units or ordered new gear from our store during the week, congratulations and welcome aboard! (Here's a human interest story for you... one of the "campers" bought an Axe-Fx III, and then GAVE his Axe-Fx II to one of the other families in attendance!)

If you were there and care to say hello, chime in here. I'll try to post some of my pics below.

Last edited:
Thanks @Southwesttone. Thanks to ALL of the other "Fractal Family" members who made this Vai Academy into such a Fractal-focused event for EVERYONE there. I hope I was able to provide everyone with the best possible experiences, on behalf of both Fractal Audio Systems and Steve Vai. Working on stage and off with Steve, Devin, Larry, Plini and the Dreamcatcher staff was fantastic. We improved live rigs, shared "secrets", created new things, and deepened both professional relationships and friendships. The "breakout" classes will stand out in my memory as a perfect example of what sets our community apart-- filled with intelligent, engaged, interesting and talented people. I'll say this: a week of real-life face-to-face interactions can offset a year of the typical downsides of online interaction. Everyone was so polite and personable. As for the many new people (or "upgraders") who purchased the demo units or ordered new gear from our store during the week, congratulations and welcome aboard! (Here's a human interest story for you... one of the "campers" bought an Axe-Fx III, and then GAVE his Axe-Fx II to one of the other families in attendance!)

If you were there and care to say hello, chime in here. I'll try to post some of my pics below.
Wow he gave his Axe fx! That is frigging awesome. What a great bunch. I'm cursing my boss for not giving me the time off believe me.
Paul

Fracult is an amazing word.

That looks like it was an amazing weekend.
It was a full week. Fabulous time... Matt is really so great and giving out his time and knowledge. And amp excellent teacher with the ability to very clearly explain the core concepts of sound and signal processing. My appreciation has grown immensely!

Vai Academy was fun and inspiring. Matt was great showing me the benefits of the FC-12 and letting me demo a bunch of sounds while others watched and listened patiently. I literally purchased the FC-6 online yesterday while at the Academy and it arrived today! Can't wait to try it out with my Axe FX III. It is so practical.....or should I say Fractical!!

First time attendee. I had high expectations and they were exceeded in every way. What a fantastic group of people. The only downside was having to choose which breakout session to attend. If only I had Matt’s ability to be in two places at once! I tried to sit in on at least one from every instructor and was never disappointed. I got so much inspiration and knowledge that I feel like a new man.
I wish we had coordinated some sort of forum name identifier. For instance, I was talking to a very nice gentleman about a guitar he got for his son. I now realize it was @hippietim (he’s much taller in person :D). If you saw the goofball with the green fishing hat and a giant grin on his face, that was me.

First time attendee. I had high expectations and they were exceeded in every way. What a fantastic group of people. The only downside was having to choose which breakout session to attend. If only I had Matt’s ability to be in two places at once! I tried to sit in on at least one from every instructor and was never disappointed. I got so much inspiration and knowledge that I feel like a new man.
I wish we had coordinated some sort of forum name identifier. For instance, I was talking to a very nice gentleman about a guitar he got for his son. I now realize it was @hippietim (he’s much taller in person :D). If you saw the goofball with the green fishing hat and a giant grin on his face, that was me.
Did you make it into any of the pics above? I don't think I got the chance to meet you...

I’m in the big group picture (where’s Waldo?) but arrived late to the Fractal Family Foto because Steve’s afternoon session ran long. I don’t think we spoke, but if you were the gentleman walking around with Fremen I definitely saw you. It would have been nice to talk. Maybe next year?

Back
Top Bottom