V6 firmware: Time to Release the Monster - Speaker Resonance Page

Ask Jay on TGP. I think it'd be helpful, but what you'd be best served doing - IMHO - is trying it, and then telling us what you hear.

It's a pretty simple process to use my starting point formula and then simply scroll the value up as you play. Stop when it sounds best and there you are.

It makes sense, thanks Scott :)

I tried it today in my studio. Works great, at least playing alone. The sound is pretty "broad", my normal patches are a lot more middy.
I'm playing one of the biggest stages in Germany tomorrow, that will be a nice little test... ;-)
BTW: I like the G65 FF more for cleans (Fender/ Vox) than the EMI, for crunchier stuff anyway.

I tried it today in my studio. Works great, at least playing alone. The sound is pretty "broad", my normal patches are a lot more middy.
I'm playing one of the biggest stages in Germany tomorrow, that will be a nice little test... ;-)
BTW: I like the G65 FF more for cleans (Fender/ Vox) than the EMI, for crunchier stuff anyway.

Tear it up Merlin - I've found that live, everything just jumps and pops off the strings. It's like the amp just hit a sweet spot; I really like it on stage... please share your thoughts after the gig!!

I just tried this.. just briefly...
I immediately noticed better clarity in the bottom end...

likes this a lot I does..
I'm going to have to set aside some time to dial this in properly...

nice one Scott.. really top drawer stuff....

I compiled a Celestion, Eminence, and Jensen list (so far) in Excel if anyone is interested. I will add other manufacturers as well. I don’t have a file share so PM me with your email or if anyone has a server where they would like to share them let me know. I have .xlsx and of course an .xls version for those not in the current decade :)

Edit: I have also added the file in PDF format to the Wiki entry here: Scott Peterson: Tips and Tricks - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Here is an example:

freqlist.jpg

freqlist2.jpg

Last edited:
I look forward to trying this. A question, though: if striving for greater accuracy why lower the mid resonance since mid resonance does not occur with real speakers?

I look forward to trying this. A question, though: if striving for greater accuracy why lower the mid resonance since mid resonance does not occur with real speakers?

Short answer: Jay said so.

My answer: You need the curve to dip there. There are no units on the graph; it's the shape of the curve that matters the most.

Keep in mind that a closed back cab rises the frequency more than an open back one.

My Marshall 4x12" loaded with V30s have a low res freq of 113Hz.
I tried with a Mesa 4x12" and it was 110Hz.
I tried a custom closed back 4x12" (V30s) and it was 107Hz.

I think this is a very interesting point, It's always been my understanding that the topology of the cabinet (1x12, 2x12, 4x12 etc) will change the overall frequency output of the speakers?

Hmm... Gave this a try this evening and it didn't blend well with me. At first, I could feel more control of the lower mids, but after a while, and playing along with recordings, the patches with these new resonance curves sounded funny. Congested in the mids and I seemed to have lost my ability to coax out chirpy high end in my sound. Its all pretty subtle, but I've returned my patches back to stock (except for my personal tweaks on a few). This might work great live though.. not sure yet. But I lost too much high end and midrange clarity for it to float my boat.

But THANKS for the work involved! I can imagine the time you've spent on this!

ok, tried this out on my monitors not my live rig. After setting it up with no patch tweaks there's a huge difference in the tone and response.The SP (scott peterson) curve controls the low end way better IMHO and the high end is really toned down, zero fizz. If you compare the 2 different settings it's really night and day. And without tweaks I like the original better, really because the high frequencies have really come down, but... After dialing back in high end to sort of match my old tone I think overall it sounds and more importantly feels more organic and accurate to a real amp. It's like this new setting un-scoops the tone and brings it back to where it should be. It really just sounds and feels authentic. But, I haven't tried it on my real rig or in a band context, but i can already see it's all about the mids and that can't be a bad thing live lol. Thanks again Scott for all the work on this, so cool.

Hmm... Gave this a try this evening and it didn't blend well with me. At first, I could feel more control of the lower mids, but after a while, and playing along with recordings, the patches with these new resonance curves sounded funny. Congested in the mids and I seemed to have lost my ability to coax out chirpy high end in my sound. Its all pretty subtle, but I've returned my patches back to stock (except for my personal tweaks on a few). This might work great live though.. not sure yet. But I lost too much high end and midrange clarity for it to float my boat.

Did you do the cabinets too? Did you redial your amps from scratch? Everything changes everything. What volume did you listen back at?

I think this is a very interesting point, It's always been my understanding that the topology of the cabinet (1x12, 2x12, 4x12 etc) will change the overall frequency output of the speakers?

Very roughly:
The topology of the cabinet changes the sound because there are interferences in the sound waves coming from every speaker.
The volume of the cabinet moves the impedance frequency peaks.

Those statements are not very accurate, but you can get an idea.

Funny, I got a similar feeling with some of your patches that I've downloaded (mainly the SRV ones, and ACDC). I tweaked your patches with this method, but I ended up liking your settings better - (with your IR cab and the mic you're using - forget which one exactly). It was subtle as you said, but it's hard to beat that SRV patch just the way it is. It did smooth it out a bit, but by doing that it didn't quite sound like the SRV thing anymore. I didn't play it along with any music or anything.

Now, for my personal patches (which are not designed to sound like anything in particular except the amps themselves), this method works great for me!

I frickin' love the flexibility of this box!!!

Good stuff Scott! Won't be able to try this 'till I'm off the road next week...I use the 2X12 Tweed cab (a lot!) that Cliff was kind enough to port over to the Axe II for me...wonder what speakers are in that? I guess I would try the Fender starting points you listed and go from there?

Hey scott, would it be helpful to determine a the mixed speaker 4x12s resonant frequency by downloading a frequency tone generator phone app and hooking up to my power amp to sweep the frequencies until the cab resonates? Will that work?

Watch it when using these things. I blew my monitors using something similar!

Hi guys, a quick question if I may. Going to try this tonight. I was wondering what sort of effect this might have on my rig as I run through a VHT 2/50/2 poweramp still, and then to the cab. It would still be valid right?

Back
Top Bottom