Using Axe-Fx 3 for guitar lessons over Skype

expez

I'm trying to get a setup that works well for Skype lessons. I have the following needs:

1. The other person should be able to hear my voice
2. The other person should be able to hear my guitar
3. The other person should be able to hear a backing track
4. Play backing tracks stored on the computer

I have the following setup now, but am willing to change it up and/or acquire new gear to make this work:

1. Axe-fx 3 connected to PC via USB
2. Axe-fx 3 connected to Scarlet Focusrite 2i2
3. Focusrite 2i2 connected to computer as my default sound device
4. Focusrite 2i2 connected to studio monitors
5. Focusrite 2i2 set to direct monitor to pass the axe fx inputs straight to the studio monitors
6. Microsoft USB Camera used for video and voice
7. Windows 10
8. The DAW I use is Reaper

My first attempt was to just let Skype pick up all sound using the Mic in the cam. That would capture the guitar, voice and backing tracking playing in the room. Unfortunately my test subject reported very poor listening experience when doing that, probably because Skype tries to filter out sounds that aren't voices?

I've now spent about an hour messing around with the Virtual Audio Cable app, that I saw recommended elsewhere. Since all my backing tracks are on my computer, that seemed like an attractive option, but I can't get the axe-fx 3 to sound through it and the inability to select output devices manually in Windows 10 is making this quite frustrating.

I'm sure quite a few on here are either giving or taking lessons over skype (or a similar program that might be better suited!), how are you all doing it?

Since all my backing tracks are on my computer, that seemed like an attractive option, but I can't get the axe-fx 3 to sound through it and the inability to select output devices manually in Windows 10 is making this quite frustrating.

ASIO 2.0 drivers could help you

What about Axe Fx and a microphone on your desk into your 2i2, and then set the 2i2 as your default device? The only thing I'm unsure of playing backing tracks, but I think you could drag them into Reaper and play them from there.

I have something that's working OKish using VB Audio's Voicemeeter app. I've cut the focusrite out of the mix for now, just to get fewer moving pieces.

It was pretty simple to set up and I'm now basically sending the general output from my computer along with mic and the axe fx to skype.

The problem I have now is that the audio quality seems to be really poor. I've been trying to play just a regular song into Skype's Echo / Sound Test Service and have it get replayed to me. I've tried tweaking levels everywhere but even though everything is direct and digital it sounds like the song is being picked up by a cell-phone recorder in the room :/

Are people actually using Skype for music lessons, or is 'Skype' used as a stand-in for something that's better suited?

Voicemeeter could help you with this. FOr windows you have to "wrap" your sounds to include the axe 3 all into one place. That way you can set your sound interface as voicemeeter and it would help wrap all the audio into one place. I use it when I do videos that I need audio out of my daw.

Back
Top Bottom