Using an Axe-Fx II XL with a Two-Notes Torpedo Live

DreuxFJr

Hello everyone! I just got here, this is my first post! I am diving head first into the realm of digital metal making from home! I have a myriad of amps I'm going to be taking profiles of to share with you guys, but first, I'd like to make some awesome recordings! lol

I have a Torpedo Live, and I would like to use its cab units as well as the AXE FX ones. What would be the best way to do this? From the outputs to the speaker inputs on the Torpedo Live I would plug a regular amp into? OR would it be via the FX loop? I want to make sure I'm doing it right on my first try. Haha.

Use the line level input on the Torpedo. You don't want to use the speaker in because that is meant to load down a amplifier.

Yeah they both do exactly the same thing (play IR files). I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish here but you don't need the Torpedo

You guys are aware, that the Torpedo not only uses IRs, but has their own proprietary IR based files, with parameters which can be changed on the fly?

Maybe he just likes the Two Notes IRs, where's the problem? There are some cabs, which are not really available otherwise.

I am aware of that, but I find that in my Torpedo C.A.B. I like 3rd party IRs much better than the Torpedo ones. But of course that is a matter of taste.

This thread is older but I just wanted to add that one big difference between the Axe and Torpedo is that the Torpedo allows for mic positioning, the Axe doesn't. To me that's huge. I don't have a Torpedo but I thought about getting one, I just don't know how I'd use it in conjunction with the Axe because the Torpedo C.A.B. appears to be mono in / out, or at least that's what the pic of the back looks like.

I know that sounds appealing, but if you buy a cabpack, you get many muc positions, and it sounds better in Ax
I'm familiar, though in my opinion it would be far easier to visually adjust mic position using the Torpedo's PC editing software than to blindly flip through a series of IR's.

Hello everyone! I just got here, this is my first post! I am diving head first into the realm of digital metal making from home! I have a myriad of amps I'm going to be taking profiles of to share with you guys, but first, I'd like to make some awesome recordings! lol

I have a Torpedo Live, and I would like to use its cab units as well as the AXE FX ones. What would be the best way to do this? From the outputs to the speaker inputs on the Torpedo Live I would plug a regular amp into? OR would it be via the FX loop? I want to make sure I'm doing it right on my first try. Haha.
Run your amp into the torpedo then the line out to input one left on the rear of the AxeFx and set that as input on the Axe. Then decide to use the amp block in the AxeFx or not. A better match to the AxeFx is the Torpedo Studio. I would recommend turning off all Torpedo parameters and use the AxeFx for all the processing. What you are looking for is your amps tone processed thru the AxeFx because of it's extensive capabilities.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am doing this with AXE FX II and Torpedo C.A.B somewhat recently. I am still playing with a few things. When I am done an engineering diagram will be created.

Back drop: one day I took my ADA cab sim pedal, and used it with “AXE cab sim off.” I couldn’t believe how good it sounded, how noise free it was, removed that hint of digital sound, and finally sounded good with any amp model. I couldn’t replicate that with AXE FX btw.

Now about my new set up...
I have presets that simultaneously create sound thru Axe FX cabs to 5” Studio Spkr, Torpedo C.A.B to 10” FOH setup, and a MESA 50/50 + slanted MESA recto 4x12. I am able to set those at playing levels, control the volume of each independently. I can mix them or listen to them individually. Switching done through Axe scene or muting inputs of Focusrite.

I use Focusrite 6i to control the mix to the studio and FOH speakers.

I generally leave both axe fx vol 1&2 at 25%.

The Axe FX output 1 & 2 are both fed into focusrite in stereo inputs

However, I “split” axe fx out 2 (Axe fx send) to MESA 50/50 and Focusrite. I use vol 2 on Axe to control Mesa 4x12 volume, and Focurite to control volume level going into Torpedo. In short, the was a need to independently control out 2 volume for the real amp and Torpedo. The input level needs were vastly different and I wanted axe fx loop block to have a constant level setting.

I turn off axe fx “amp SAG” in the amp block that is running my FX loop block, which sends out to Focusrite/Torpedo and Mesa amp/Cab setup. The other amp block is normal and powers cab block, which goes to Axe FX out 1. It awesome to do A|B testing with all three. Mixed together properly in the room gets a really big sound, but at room levels. I can also crank up the live sound by turning up axe vol 2, which thunderously shakes the house — a case where I mute Torpedo and and Axe fx out 1.

I can record completely dry with SPDIF using guitar input for digital signal. That is for reamping scenarios. Other ways to do that of course.

I don’t use the usb cable into pc from AXE FX —it’s noisy— I do use Torpedo and Focusrite. I use axe edit, but with midi in Focusrite. I disable axefx speaker and use Focusrite.

MIDI controls everything of course in terms of presets.

I know this is an old post but I just came to write one reason why I have been thinking of getting the Two Notes Torpedo Live. My Axe FX II has only 80+- user cab slots but the Torpedo Live can store up to 512 user cabinets so I would use it to extend my cab library so I don't have to replace my cabs in the Axe FX II all the time.

Back
Top Bottom