Using an Auto-Engage CC vs a wah pedal (rant-ish)

jr213

How can this be okay with so many players? Maybe I'm weird, but I've spent a few days using the Auto-Engage CC for wah and I HATE it. I am so used to keeping my pedal toe-down that I find myself leaving my wah on or inadvertently turning it on because I subconsciously put it where I think it belongs (a little OCD, I know). I cannot possibly be alone here and would like to have a pedal with a toe-down bypass button for the wah. I understand the Stilwel pedal is no longer in production. What does it take to do this. I'll start making them myself - I can solder as well as the next guy. How does the bypass button communicate? Can we do this?

I'm not sure, but what you want should work, if you can program you pedal to work in reverse, i.e. value of 0 at toe down and 127 at heel down.
Then reverse the behaviour in the modifier setup (start 100 %, end 0%) and you have the auto-off range at toe down.

Seb

i agree... if stillwell isnt going to make them.. spill the beans on the magic sauce :)

that or can the firmware be changed to allow the option of reversal?

dpeterson said:
that or can the firmware be changed to allow the option of reversal?

Surely it can be changed, I think it's on the wish list, to either be able to choose where the auto-off range is, or to make
it completely time-based, i.e. wherever the pedal is, leave it alone for x.x seconds and it gets turned off.

Seb

jr213 said:
How can this be okay with so many players? Maybe I'm weird, but I've spent a few days using the Auto-Engage CC for wah and I HATE it. I am so used to keeping my pedal toe-down that I find myself leaving my wah on or inadvertently turning it on because I subconsciously put it where I think it belongs (a little OCD, I know). I cannot possibly be alone here and would like to have a pedal with a toe-down bypass button for the wah. I understand the Stilwel pedal is no longer in production. What does it take to do this. I'll start making them myself - I can solder as well as the next guy. How does the bypass button communicate? Can we do this?

The bypass button communicates with a separate cable.

javajunkie said:
A separate cable to where? Just a second pedal in? Forgive my ignorance on this part.
Let's say on an imaginary MFC that would have multiple pedal ins, could this be accomplished just by adding a switch to one of the pedal ins? If that's all it takes, I'm all over it.

jr213 said:
javajunkie said:
A separate cable to where? Just a second pedal in? Forgive my ignorance on this part.
Let's say on an imaginary MFC that would have multiple pedal ins, could this be accomplished just by adding a switch to one of the pedal ins? If that's all it takes, I'm all over it.

Either to your foot controller or one of the axe-fx pedals in. Stillwel's wah mod has 2 outputs. One for the wah sweep and one for the switch. either can go into a MIDI foot controllers external switch port or in to one the axe-fx's pedal ports.

I've found a cheap wah with a sturdy construction for gutting and transforming to a midi controller and a tutorial by someone who did this to his 70s Vox :shock: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1485
When looking for a Vox Wah pot (or MESA grill cloth: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1948) I read that one of the stores that sell diy music parts had a new shipment of Wah pedal casings even cheaper. Since I already had a casing I didn't care to remember where that was...

Ah. Here it is: http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/advanced_s ... ywords=eqw
Also in EUrope, I'm afraid...

Small Bear also has empty casings:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories ... edal+Parts

Back
Top Bottom