Using a Kemper Powerhead as a power amp for FM9

RichyD123

I always use a cab on stage hence why when I switched to the Kemper from tube amps last year I got a powerhead. I've ordered an FM9 now however to replace most of my pedals and was thinking instead of buying another power amp to drive a cab, I could just run the FM9 straight into a DI profile on the Kemper powerhead for my stage volume. Google doesn't seem to indicate anyone doing this before (probably because it's overkill that anyone would have both a kemper and fractal unit in tandem) but it's just my using what's laying about.

Has anyone tried this combo before? Any other suggestions for a decent power amp for an FM9? I use either a Marshall JVM 2x12 or a vintage modern 4x12.

I had to play Kemper once. I can't say anything about power head, but Kemper's CAB sounded like a toy. The sound was funny, very thin.

Attachments

• 20240426_211705.jpg
    20240426_211705.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
I had to play Kemper once. I can't say anything about power head, but Kemper's CAB sounded like a toy. The sound was funny, very thin.
I never bothered with the kemper cab/kone stuff and always have ran into an actual cab so can't really comment. I guess in truth they are just kemper branded frfrs. Once I'm back in my home country and have this set up I'll report back in case anyone else ever tries this approach!

Ok so I've had a few hours running the FM9 into the kemper... all I did was switch off the amp and cab blocks on the kemper so it's unaffected by everything aside from the power amp (for anyone in a similar boat, I'd turn off power amp modelling on the FM9 too). Running into a 2x12 Marshall JVM cab and all I can say is, why didn't I get an Axe FX/FM9 first all those years ago instead of pissing about with a pedalboard the size of a surfboard and a kemper. I'm blown away and all my gear that can be dealt with by the FM9 is going up on ebay ASAP!

I have historically loved the Kemper for it's own thing. I also LOVE the power amp in the powered toaster/rack unit. I don't know what it is; but I would love if they offered it as a stand alone power amp. I know it's a bone stock class D ice module so nothing special; but I think it has plenty of power and punch. And it sounds GREAT through a 4x12 \m/

@RichyD123 Fractal into a clean power amp and a guitar cabinet is a really satisfying experience. It is easy to forget that you're playing a modeling rig when playing that type of setup.

Back
Top Bottom