Use DynaCab workflow on any IR (video)

If I follow it correctly it appears he uses the tone match block to get a dyna cab to sound close to a legacy IR and the turns off the legacy ir and uses the mic position capabilities of the dyna cab block to approximate what it would be like moving the mic on the legacy cab.
This
But replace the close word with like

This
But replace the close word with like
So the idea of to use tone match on a Dynacab to EQ it like some specific static IR, then use the Dynacab controls from there for the position and distance effects? Do I have that right?

Interesting. Among other things, if that works, it means that at least in this case, the position and distance controls are some kind of signal processing that can be applied to any signal, not a user friendly UI for accessing different actual IRs, like I was under the impression was being used. (Note that that impression is totally based on community talk, not actual technical info from Fractal.)

So the idea of to use tone match on a Dynacab to EQ it like some specific static IR, then use the Dynacab controls from there for the position and distance effects? Do I have that right?

Interesting. Among other things, if that works, it means that at least in this case, the position and distance controls are some kind of signal processing that can be applied to any signal, not a user friendly UI for accessing different actual IRs, like I was under the impression was being used. (Note that that impression is totally based on community talk, not actual technical info from Fractal.)
Yes

Interesting but not quite the same. I think you can improve your process:

1. Start with a mic position that you think looks like what the original IR may have been. Most factory IRs are around the edge of the dustcap at about 1". In other words, let the source share more of that natural sizzle and proximity.

2. Use live mode instead of off line.

3. Play the tone match boogie: chromatic chords up the neck.
I tried live mode today. The generated IR seems longer but the sound is far better in offline mode, strange....

What is the difference between live mode and offline mode? I've never been clear on that.
The technical differences between the two algorithms have not been published.

Use Live Mode when you are splitting a live test signal into the reference and the model and analyzing both at the same time.
Use Offline mode when the reference signal and the model are stimulated at different times or in different ways (e.g. matching to YouTube).

What is the difference between live mode and offline mode? I've never been clear on that.
I use live mode if the source and ref are actively going in at the same time. It has mostly sounded really good, but if you do it on non-simultaneous signals it can sound awful.

I imagine the FR delta calculation might be different in live vs offline modes, in that offline has to sample over a significant period and do the delta at the end, while live could do it near real time and do a time weighting of the deltas. (??)

Edit: I'm repeating what Matt said. :relaxed:

I like this idea Al. I have my current favorite IR, and would love to tweak it a bit in DynaCab - so this is perfect for that.

Nice idea. Being that I never mic'd a speaker before in my life this is all a learning experience for me with tons of trial and error. Interesting that you move the mic's so far away from the speaker. Maybe this is what I need to do so my Dyna Cabs more sound (in the room) and open as opposed to direct on shrilly when turned up to higher volumes.
You don't know what you're missing out on. Minutes turn into hours turn into days in the blink of an eye. Every MM you move a mic and it's AHA! THATS IT! Until it's not. Turn a few knobs, move a few mics, swap out mics, move the cab, swap out 70 lb cabs all over and over and over again.

I don't miss it for a second.

A more "purist" approach to matching Dyna-Cabs to an existing IR/IR combination could be to systematically scan mics + positions to find a combination (or several) that are "close". For example:
  1. Specify a "reference" CAB block with your fav IR(s) to be matched.
  2. Specify a "to match" Dyna-Cab IR
  3. For each mic, algorithmically scan all positions and find a number of close candidate fits to the reference (e.g 4: one in each slot for selected dyna-cab CAB channel). Would probably use pink noise on unit or from USB.
We just need a clever motivated coder to write a script/tool to do it. :p

Back
Top Bottom