USB Firmware V 1.15 Release

i had a patch bay at the rear of my 19'rack case, also for the usb, neutrik (nausb-w-b). Before this update(fw22), all was fine with a short usb cable betwin axe and patch bay + a 2meters usb cable betwin patch bay and my pc. After it don't work anymore. I have tried with differents usb cables, standard, fractal, and udg very good cables. No result, and with two udg cables my pc tell that the device ask for more power than it can send...
The only thing that works is a direct connection betwin axe and pc... If there is a solution to use a patch bay....

Perhaps a powered USB hub?

I'm still getting periodic (I'd estimate once every 10 minutes?) loss of output after upgrading to usb firmware 1.15 and axe fx 3 firmware 22.01. Axe edit still works when the audio drops, but it requires an axe fx reboot to regain pc audio over usb.

Running windows 10.0.19043, I could probably capture a usb dump if that would be helpful.

I've been getting constant issues after upgrading to 22.01 and USB firmware 1.15; the connection drops and hangs all USB ports on the laptop if I select the audio sound output device as the AFX3. Even if I don't do this, the latest Axe Edit often cannot find the AFX3 unit.

No USB connection AXE-EDIT and AXE-FXIII
Hello now I also have to join here ... what happened.
A few days ago I have moved all my equipment to new rooms.
Now during the setup I had the following situation.
Despite that I have built up everything identically again, with the same connections and cables, the AXE-FXIII was not recognized by AXE-EDIT.
Disconnected is displayed in AXE-EDIT although the AXE-FXIII is switched on and connected to the MAC.

I have checked and performed the following.
Tested several USB cables, no change.
changed USB port, no change
AXE-FXIII off and on again, no change.
MAC restarted, no change.
Then I looked at the PORT configuration in AXE-EDIT.
The AXE-FXIII was selected but the green checkmarks were missing.
After re-selecting the AXE-FXIII from the list, the green check marks were set again and the connection was re-established and the problem was solved.
Maybe this will also help you when this phenomenon occurs.
MAC Mini M1
Mac OS 14.0
AXE-FXIII FW 23 Beta 1
USB FW 1.15

EDIT:
This could also fit in the range of AXE-Edit, but I can't assess that.

Last edited:
No USB connection AXE-EDIT and AXE-FXIII
Hello now I also have to join here ... what happened.
A few days ago I have moved all my equipment to new rooms.
Now during the setup I had the following situation.
Despite that I have built up everything identically again, with the same connections and cables, the AXE-FXIII was not recognized by AXE-EDIT.
Disconnected is displayed in AXE-EDIT although the AXE-FXIII is switched on and connected to the MAC.

I have checked and performed the following.
Tested several USB cables, no change.
changed USB port, no change
AXE-FXIII off and on again, no change.
MAC restarted, no change.
Then I looked at the PORT configuration in AXE-EDIT.
The AXE-FXIII was selected but the green checkmarks were missing.
After re-selecting the AXE-FXIII from the list, the green check marks were set again and the connection was re-established and the problem was solved.
Maybe this will also help you when this phenomenon occurs.
MAC Mini M1
Mac OS 14.0
AXE-FXIII FW 23 Beta 1
USB FW 1.15

EDIT:
This could also fit in the range of AXE-Edit, but I can't assess that.
Did you test using any other USB devices to see if the Mac can see them? It’s possible that the problem is there, not the FX3.

I have four Fractals connected to my iMac without problems so I know they’re capable of working with it.

Thanks for your question and hint. yes other
Did you test using any other USB devices to see if the Mac can see them? It’s possible that the problem is there, not the FX3.

I have four Fractals connected to my iMac without problems so I know they’re capable of working with it.
Hi Greg

Thanks for your question and hint. yes other USB devices were detected. Strange is that in AXE-Edit the FX3 is selected, but not recognized as an active device and I had to select it again in the port list.

Maybe it is also due to the beta of AXE-Edit for FW 23.
Previously I had not noticed this behavior although I also operate 2 FX3 on a Mac.

Thanks
Peter

Maybe it is also due to the beta of AXE-Edit for FW 23.
Previously I had not noticed this behavior although I also operate 2 FX3 on a Mac.
I can’t blame the beta. The beta firmware is not the same as the USB driver, nor does it change the USB driver when we update the firmware.

USB v1.15 is current. It won’t hurt to reinstall it if you want to give it a try.

You say you have multiple FX3 attached to the Mac:
  • Are both failing to connect, or just one?
  • Could you previously see both on the USB bus and now only one is visible?
  • Are both at the same firmware and USB driver level? (From the front-panel go to Settings > Utilities > Version IIRC.)
  • What happens if you swap their USB cables? (Unplug from the Mac, wait 5 seconds, plug them in.)

I can’t blame the beta. The beta firmware is not the same as the USB driver, nor does it change the USB driver when we update the firmware.

USB v1.15 is current. It won’t hurt to reinstall it if you want to give it a try.

You say you have multiple FX3 attached to the Mac:
  • Are both failing to connect, or just one?
  • Could you previously see both on the USB bus and now only one is visible?
  • Are both at the same firmware and USB driver level? (From the front-panel go to Settings > Utilities > Version IIRC.)
  • What happens if you swap their USB cables? (Unplug from the Mac, wait 5 seconds, plug them in.)
Sorry for the delay in responding to your questions, I have looked again at the possible cause.
To your questions,
At the time only the FX3 Turbo was in use.
And yes it was recognized as an audio device in all situations (ports and USB cable). Only in AXE-Edit not.
The FX3 MK1 still has FW 21.04 the Turbo at the time FW23b1 now FW23B2. The USB FW is on both 1.15.

To better distinguish the two devices on the MAC and in AXE-EDIT, I have given them different names. So in the device itself as well as under the MIDI and AUDIO utilities, so that they are also recognizable in the PORT list in AXE-EDIT.

Where the problem occurred only the port identifier of the MK1 was visible in the AXE-Edit port selection list. although the Turbo is connected.
In MIDI Audio Utilities both are set up.
I assume that the FW23B1 has only indirect influence here and at the time I was of the opinion that AXE.Edit is also a pre-release. is not so. Sorry for the confusion with the beta.

@FractalAudio
I looked at the USB identifier in the USB system information of both devices. And here both devices are recognized with the identical identifier.
Thus the OS due to the HW, these can not clearly distinguish and who is who only logically hold.
It would be helpful if the name or the S/N in the device also influences the USB identifier to make it unambiguously assignable.
Whether the UUID between the two devices different I could not yet check.
Pasted Graphic.png
Turbo
Pasted Graphic 1.png
MK1

Last edited:
@StratPIt

This sounds familiar and your report is pointing toward the driver itself being the culprit, which makes sense because the problem that occurs has been seen in the Edit apps and standalone Fractal-Bot.

I’ll try to find where it was previously mentioned and link the two together.

PS - Done.

Last edited:
I don't know why this took me a couple of months to notice this. I upgraded the USB driver to 1.15, the AxeFXIII recognizes the correct FW 1.15, but my FC-12 still says 1.12. Do I need to do anything else?

I don't know why this took me a couple of months to notice this. I upgraded the USB driver to 1.15, the AxeFXIII recognizes the correct FW 1.15, but my FC-12 still says 1.12. Do I need to do anything else?
1.12 is the current version of the FC firmware.

Been using this new firmware for some time and my axe fx 3 still loses signal pretty much every time i keep it on for a long recording session. Annoying.

Axe fx3 goes to a USB HUB and that hub directly to my laptop. Nothing fancy there. Not sure why this keeps happening. Can only solve it by restarting the unit

Been using this new firmware for some time and my axe fx 3 still loses signal pretty much every time i keep it on for a long recording session. Annoying.

Axe fx3 goes to a USB HUB and that hub directly to my laptop. Nothing fancy there. Not sure why this keeps happening. Can only solve it by restarting the unit
Sounds to me like powermanagement from your laptop

You probably have to use a USB hub with your setup (no additional USB ports to connect without a hub, etc).

Have you tried testing without a USB hub or a different one (maybe powered)?

You probably have to use a USB hub with your setup (no additional USB ports to connect without a hub, etc).

Have you tried testing without a USB hub or a different one (maybe powered)?
The hub is powered. I also have 3 other midi controllers connected to it. After last fail from AxeFX i was still able to use them. Only Axe was missing.

Back
Top Bottom