USB Firmware V 1.15 Release

amandio

Hi Everyone,

New USB firmware for the AXE FX III, v 1.15, is available!

This release fixes an issue where USB IN channels 1 and 2 can move to other USB IN channels causing a sudden loss of output. You can download this release from the downloads page for the AXE FX III on our main website, or you can use the link below:
AXE FX III USB Firmware v1.15 Release Download

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Unlike DSP firmware, which changes sound and features, USB firmware changes the way your Axe-Fx III interacts with a computer. Version 1.15 fixes an issue where USB IN channels 1 and 2 can move to other USB IN channels causing a sudden loss in output.

To check your current version:
  • Press HOME
  • Press SETUP (push-knob E)
  • Select Utilities using the Nav buttons.
  • Press ENTER to show the Utilities menu.
  • Page right to the Version page.
  • Your USB firmware version is shown on the screen.
To install USB Firmware , please follow these instructions:
  1. Download and unzip the USB firmware update from:
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/USB/axefxiii_usb_rel_1p15.zip
  2. Launch Fractal-Bot. The program can be found in the Tools menu of Axe-Edit or downloaded as a standalone application from: https://www.fractalaudio.com/fractal-bot/
    NOTE: Windows requires that you to install our driver before using Fractal-Bot. Mac OS does not require a driver.
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/
    IMPORTANT: While using Fractal-Bot Please Quit/Exit all audio/MIDI-related apps including any other Fractal audio applications, DAWs, Chrome, etc. A reliable method of ensuring a clean environment would be to power off the Axe-Fx III, reboot your computer, quit any apps that launch at startup, power on the Axe-Fx III, and proceed with the update.
  3. Install the new USB firmware using Fractal-Bot:
    • For Step 1, choose “Axe-Fx III”. You should then see three green checks. If you’re using the Axe-Edit version of Fractal-Bot, this is done automatically.
    • For Step 2, Browse to the new USB firmware file (axefxiii_usb_rel_1p15.syx) You can also drag and drop the file into the white text field.
    • For Step 3, press Begin. The file should transfer quickly and Fractal-Bot will pop up a dialog stating “The transfer is complete.
      NOTE: Unlike when installing DSP firmware, the Axe-Fx does not show a loading screen or special reboot message.
  4. Click OK in Fractal-Bot and then reboot the Axe-Fx III. Once the unit reboots, check your unit’s USB Firmware version using the process listed in the bulleted steps above these instructions.
If an upgrade fails for any reason, please first reboot all devices and simply try again.
If you require any help with this process, please reply to this thread or contact us via https://support.fractalaudio.com

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

New USB firmware for the AXE FX III, v 1.15, is available!

This release fixes an issue where USB IN channels 1 and 2 can move to other USB IN channels causing a sudden loss of output. You can download this release from the downloads page for the AXE FX III on our main website, or you can use the link below:
AXE FX III USB Firmware v1.15 Release Download

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Unlike DSP firmware, which changes sound and features, USB firmware changes the way your Axe-Fx III interacts with a computer. Version 1.15 fixes an issue where USB IN channels 1 and 2 can move to other USB IN channels causing a sudden loss in output.

To check your current version:
  • Press HOME
  • Press SETUP (push-knob E)
  • Select Utilities using the Nav buttons.
  • Press ENTER to show the Utilities menu.
  • Page right to the Version page.
  • Your USB firmware version is shown on the screen.
To install USB Firmware , please follow these instructions:
  1. Download and unzip the USB firmware update from:
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/USB/axefxiii_usb_rel_1p15.zip
  2. Launch Fractal-Bot. The program can be found in the Tools menu of Axe-Edit or downloaded as a standalone application from: https://www.fractalaudio.com/fractal-bot/
    NOTE: Windows requires that you to install our driver before using Fractal-Bot. Mac OS does not require a driver.
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/
    IMPORTANT: While using Fractal-Bot Please Quit/Exit all audio/MIDI-related apps including any other Fractal audio applications, DAWs, Chrome, etc. A reliable method of ensuring a clean environment would be to power off the Axe-Fx III, reboot your computer, quit any apps that launch at startup, power on the Axe-Fx III, and proceed with the update.
  3. Install the new USB firmware using Fractal-Bot:
    • For Step 1, choose “Axe-Fx III”. You should then see three green checks. If you’re using the Axe-Edit version of Fractal-Bot, this is done automatically.
    • For Step 2, Browse to the new USB firmware file (axefxiii_usb_rel_1p15.syx) You can also drag and drop the file into the white text field.
    • For Step 3, press Begin. The file should transfer quickly and Fractal-Bot will pop up a dialog stating “The transfer is complete.
      NOTE: Unlike when installing DSP firmware, the Axe-Fx does not show a loading screen or special reboot message.
  4. Click OK in Fractal-Bot and then reboot the Axe-Fx III. Once the unit reboots, check your unit’s USB Firmware version using the process listed in the bulleted steps above these instructions.
If an upgrade fails for any reason, please first reboot all devices and simply try again.
If you require any help with this process, please reply to this thread or contact us via https://support.fractalaudio.com

Thanks!
Thanks!

Thank you very much! I tried to replicate with 1.14 to see if it was the same channel switching problem, but no luck. So I just installed the 1.15 without any issues and until now, all work perfectly!

1.15 is still losing usb audio output for my axe-fx III mkII Turbo. Sometimes it recovers after some time, others axe reboot is needed.

1.15 is still losing usb audio output for my axe-fx III mkII Turbo. Sometimes it recovers after some time, others axe reboot is needed.
Some more information would be useful. Are you using it from a DAW, just streaming from the PC, What OS windows/Apple? Using a USB hub? Using ASIO?, etc...

Thanks for asking.

After several years without issues I just replaced an usb RME Babyface Pro (audio interface) connected to my Fedora Linux laptop with the AXE.
This is the only usb device that fails when conected.

The issue appears when I use the AXE as an usb audio interface for the laptop.
Just for playing sounds from the laptop (youtube, spotify, etc) and sometimes sound just stops coming from the front headphones output (including no light in the power meters).

Reading forums I assumed some kind of not-so-good usb shielding in the device or provided cable and I purchased some usb cables with better quality.. without luck. Even one power cable with ferrite block. From there I stopped my investigation as I was far from the device.

I just returned and saw this usb firm upgrade, hoping this was the issue. Seems it is not.. or not fully solved.
Totally subjective, I think it happens less than before. Now about once per day.

Summary:
AXE-FX III MkII Turbo front headphone output stops sending sound when used as usb audio interface. AXE-EDIT still works.
Unit reboot solves the issue.
Issue happens connecting direct laptop USB or USB Docking station. No change.
FW:21.04
USB FW:1.15
FPGA 16

Thanks!
Jose

Last edited:
Thanks! Checked. Sound is not sent to any of the other channels. All meters are not moving.

For tech support: I have two dump files with usb traffic when ok and when this happens for troubleshooting if this helps.

Thanks! Checked. Sound is not sent to any of the other channels. All meters are not moving.

For tech support: I have two dump files with usb traffic when ok and when this happens for troubleshooting if this helps.
Send me a PM with your dump files and I will take a look.

I’ve finally found a repeatable way to make the usb audio disconnect from my M1 Max mini on 1.14. I will try this update and see if it’s resolved. If not. I will report steps to make it disconnect for me

my issue remains with 1.15

I'm running output 3 to a combo amp input on the same circuit.
I have input 1 set to digital.
I am feeding usb out 5 from my daw. Works great.

If I turn the amp off, most times it causes the usb between daw and afx fx to drop. Maybe I need a reamp transformer between the axe and the combo amp input? What says the crowd?

Last edited:
Yes I can concur that on my Mac mini I'm still experiencing issue #2, the usb output is not switching to other channels, it just stops outputting. My DAW tells me that the audio is leaving it fine, there is correct activity on the output meters of the DAW but the Mac output goes silent.

Back
Top Bottom