USB Firmware V 1.15 Release

@trixdropd @TubeByter @AXIAXAREN

It sounds like the symptoms you are experiencing could be related to electrical interference and/or poor cabling. I've worked with a couple other users who have reported similar things. After spending some time with their set up they have been able to resolve these kinds of issues.

My first suggestion would be to try and distill your setup to be as small and simple as possible. In other words, only have your computer and AXE FX III connected to each other and disconnect and unplug everything else from the computer and AXE FX III. Use a high quality USB cable with ferrite rings that is the shortest length you can practically use to connect the unit to your computer. See if things improve with this simplified setup.

If things do improve you can slowly start to reintroduce things, one-by-one, to see if the issues crops up again.

Let me know if this helps. If you find that the suggestions above do not improve the issues you're facing, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can work with you individually.

Not sure if it really helps or not, but I think it's at least related.
I have a small fan that is plugged into the wall which is not on the same plug as my Axe FX III is plugged into. Most of the time when I turn it on it makes me lose audio from my Axe FX III. If I reboot the Axe FX III, it restores the audio. I just turn the fan on before I turn on the Axe FX III. If I forget and need the fan, I'll more than likely have to reboot the Axe FX III.

Actually that does make me think of a similar possibility with my setup, I have our main PA power amp on the same power bar as the Mac and Axe and it does seem to coincide that I most often lose the Mac output to Axe at rehearsals, which include powering up that large amp just before we begin... when I'm just practicing on my own I use a headset so don't need to power up the amp....will investigate further.

Since I installed the 1.15 FW, after a few long sessions, the problem seems solved so I guess I had the problem #1, thanks for the update!

I tried the firmware 1.15 and have been on firmware 1.11 for along time, but my issue with audio drop out has been existing even on 1.11 and 1.15 hasn't fixed it. My environment is

DAW - Audacity
Lenovo Thinkpad P16 With Intel 12th Gen i7 with 24 core, 3 TB NVME SSD, 128GB RAM
When I compose and run close to 7-8 tracks simultaneously there is a lot of pop, crackle and hiss. I have set the buffer to 2048 with safe mode, and played around but no recourse.

Any tweaks anyone knows ?

Would it be possible to have maybe a sign up form to volunteer a debug session with the developer to identify those issues?

I know in some cases it might be user error or weird unrelated bugs in other parts of the stack and a bit of a rabbit hole but I guarantee you if there's a real issue that got overlooked you'll catch it real quick by doing a few of those. Might be worth considering.

So I have been tinkering with this. Previously the Axe3 was connected to the "USB 3.2 Gen 1 (one Always On)" port on my Lenovo P16 workstation. The click, pop and crackle in DAW was seriously crazy and totally unusable even at 2048 buffer size.

I was trying a few things including using $55 3ft length USB cables (did not help one bit), on this machine which has two Thunderbolt-4 ports. I plugged in a Startech thunderbolt dock which has a USB 3.0 port on it.

I Connected the Axe-3 to the USB3.0 port on the Startech thunderbolt dock, and even at 256 buffer size there are no more pops, click and crackle.
I rebooted this machine which is running Windows-11 to check and things seem to be stable. Also I went back to using the HOSA-10Ft USB B cable which I had been using before and removed all the expensive ones. No crackle nothing even with that low cost cable.

I will continue testing and report here. Not sure what to make of this though as its very weird.

I am running USB 1.11 firmware and rolled back the 1.15 .

Hi Everyone,

New USB firmware for the AXE FX III, v 1.15, is available!

This release fixes an issue where USB IN channels 1 and 2 can move to other USB IN channels causing a sudden loss of output. You can download this release from the downloads page for the AXE FX III on our main website, or you can use the link below:
AXE FX III USB Firmware v1.15 Release Download

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Unlike DSP firmware, which changes sound and features, USB firmware changes the way your Axe-Fx III interacts with a computer. Version 1.15 fixes an issue where USB IN channels 1 and 2 can move to other USB IN channels causing a sudden loss in output.

To check your current version:
  • Press HOME
  • Press SETUP (push-knob E)
  • Select Utilities using the Nav buttons.
  • Press ENTER to show the Utilities menu.
  • Page right to the Version page.
  • Your USB firmware version is shown on the screen.
To install USB Firmware , please follow these instructions:
  1. Download and unzip the USB firmware update from:
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/USB/axefxiii_usb_rel_1p15.zip
  2. Launch Fractal-Bot. The program can be found in the Tools menu of Axe-Edit or downloaded as a standalone application from: https://www.fractalaudio.com/fractal-bot/
    NOTE: Windows requires that you to install our driver before using Fractal-Bot. Mac OS does not require a driver.
    https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-iii-downloads/
    IMPORTANT: While using Fractal-Bot Please Quit/Exit all audio/MIDI-related apps including any other Fractal audio applications, DAWs, Chrome, etc. A reliable method of ensuring a clean environment would be to power off the Axe-Fx III, reboot your computer, quit any apps that launch at startup, power on the Axe-Fx III, and proceed with the update.
  3. Install the new USB firmware using Fractal-Bot:
    • For Step 1, choose “Axe-Fx III”. You should then see three green checks. If you’re using the Axe-Edit version of Fractal-Bot, this is done automatically.
    • For Step 2, Browse to the new USB firmware file (axefxiii_usb_rel_1p15.syx) You can also drag and drop the file into the white text field.
    • For Step 3, press Begin. The file should transfer quickly and Fractal-Bot will pop up a dialog stating “The transfer is complete.
      NOTE: Unlike when installing DSP firmware, the Axe-Fx does not show a loading screen or special reboot message.
  4. Click OK in Fractal-Bot and then reboot the Axe-Fx III. Once the unit reboots, check your unit’s USB Firmware version using the process listed in the bulleted steps above these instructions.
If an upgrade fails for any reason, please first reboot all devices and simply try again.
If you require any help with this process, please reply to this thread or contact us via https://support.fractalaudio.com

Thanks!
Hi everyone,
As some other i have an issue with usb and axe fx III mk2

I run windows 10, usb 3 connection. axe edit, fractal bot updated

firmware 22 beta 12
usb driver last version : 5.57 install and uninstall 3 times (windows uninstall and revo uninstall)
usb firmware 1.15beta

When i have installed the firmware 22 (since 5 days), there was no problem. After 2 days the issue begin. What i'm playing with my pc, mp3, guitar pro 8, audacity... don't go out of the axe. Axe edit is ok. If i play my guitar the sound go out of my frfr or headphones, i can record with audacity, but i cant't hear anything that come from the pc... I have tried the usb firmwares 1.14, 1.15, 1.15beta, no result. The in usb don't work. I have tried the 4 output knobs with no result
I use my axe fx as guitar instructor (not only) and this is very bad for me, cannot play backing tracks, personnal records...
So is there a solution to solve this issue ? if not how unsintall this dynacab update and return to the previous and not dynacab firmware?
Thanks a lot

Does this help: unplugging the Axe's usb cable, hitting play back of some track, plugging back in the usb cable?

For me this restores play back through the Axe every time this issue occurs (not very often but every now and then).

I think it's caused by electrical current / voltage transients (from starters of TL lights, electric motors of vacuum cleaners or washing machines etc.) leaking through ground loops and messing up the usb-connection PC side. Better engineerd and/or built usb-cards would probably fix it.

Does this help: unplugging the Axe's usb cable, hitting play back of some track, plugging back in the usb cable?

For me this restores play back through the Axe every time this issue occurs (not very often but every now and then).

I think it's caused by electrical current / voltage transients (from starters of TL lights, electric motors of vacuum cleaners or washing machines etc.) leaking through ground loops and messing up the usb-connection PC side. Better engineerd and/or built usb-cards would probably fix it.
Thanks a lot, I will try that, but, honestly i doubt this will be a solution for the future. I doesn't have this issue for years before these updates, and all my stuff is powered with a furmann pl8 ce, axe fx, pc, frfr, ... I hope to have a good usb update soon! Thanks again

Hi everyone,
As some other i have an issue with usb and axe fx III mk2

I run windows 10, usb 3 connection. axe edit, fractal bot updated

firmware 22 beta 12
usb driver last version : 5.57 install and uninstall 3 times (windows uninstall and revo uninstall)
usb firmware 1.15beta

When i have installed the firmware 22 (since 5 days), there was no problem. After 2 days the issue begin. What i'm playing with my pc, mp3, guitar pro 8, audacity... don't go out of the axe. Axe edit is ok. If i play my guitar the sound go out of my frfr or headphones, i can record with audacity, but i cant't hear anything that come from the pc... I have tried the usb firmwares 1.14, 1.15, 1.15beta, no result. The in usb don't work. I have tried the 4 output knobs with no result
I use my axe fx as guitar instructor (not only) and this is very bad for me, cannot play backing tracks, personnal records...
So is there a solution to solve this issue ? if not how unsintall this dynacab update and return to the previous and not dynacab firmware?
Thanks a lot
Is the Axe-FX the only audio interface connected to your computer? I would verify that when you updated the USB driver, Windows didn't revert back to a different audio interface for your computer.

Since your DAW works, that may be the case... (as your DAW should be able to set its own audio interface driver separate from Windows' driver.) And all of your problems seems to be related to Windows sound playback.

Is the Axe-FX the only audio interface connected to your computer? I would verify that when you updated the USB driver, Windows didn't revert back to a different audio interface for your computer.

Since your DAW works, that may be the case... (as your DAW should be able to set its own audio interface driver separate from Windows' driver.) And all of your problems seems to be related to Windows sound playback.
Yes, this the only audio interface. The output vol control of windows is on axe fx iii. I can record, but not listen...nothing

Thanks a lot, I will try that, but, honestly i doubt this will be a solution for the future. I doesn't have this issue for years before these updates, and all my stuff is powered with a furmann pl8 ce, axe fx, pc, frfr, ... I hope to have a good usb update soon! Thanks again
yes it isn't the solution; a quick temporary fix / work around at most. I also have everything powered with a furman, except my laptop... but, reading your post, that doesn't make any difference 😞
I can't be firmware version related though so it must be coincidence your trouble started after updating to 22beta. Maybe a new transient source in your neigbourhood?

yes it isn't the solution; a quick temporary fix / work around at most. I also have everything powered with a furman, except my laptop... but, reading your post, that doesn't make any difference 😞
I can't be firmware version related though so it must be coincidence your trouble started after updating to 22beta. Maybe a new transient source in your neigbourhood?
I agree on the transient. I can turn on a lower amp on the same circuit as my axefx and computer and the usb on the axe will drop most of the time. A reboot fixes it

I agree on the transient. I can turn on a lower amp on the same circuit as my axefx and computer and the usb on the axe will drop most of the time. A reboot fixes it
yes, a reboot of the Axe in the event my quick fix doesn't work does the trick

i had a patch bay at the rear of my 19'rack case, also for the usb, neutrik (nausb-w-b). Before this update(fw22), all was fine with a short usb cable betwin axe and patch bay + a 2meters usb cable betwin patch bay and my pc. After it don't work anymore. I have tried with differents usb cables, standard, fractal, and udg very good cables. No result, and with two udg cables my pc tell that the device ask for more power than it can send...
The only thing that works is a direct connection betwin axe and pc... If there is a solution to use a patch bay....

Back
Top Bottom