USB Cable Quality

You should be able to buy them in about any lenth you want, based on the rated power consumption you shouldn't need to worry, I've bought 25 ft cables before for very little money.

If you've got 12 gauge in your wall, then no argument, 12 gauge cables are a good idea.

I think decent power cables keep the noise floor low.Nothing magic about them and claims that they do more than that are usually BS.

I have seen it all in high end audio - trust me.
The difference between 50$ power cable or speaker wire and $1000 power cable and speaker wire is usually subjective and a waste of money.

The difference between a 3$ throw in power cable and a $40 one can be noticeable, though.
You do not have to spend hardly anything to get you 98% of the way there with wire.

That is your opinion.
I actually make my own power cables for 30$ and they are 12ga and they do make a difference.
Do as you wish, though for sure.
There's NO OPINION involved here, merely physics. Standard IEC gauge only makes a difference in the expected voltage drop over specific distances. From the average 15-amp wall outlet (Romex fed) to the Axe does NOT need 12-gauge. It's what? 10 feet?? 16-20 gauge is perfectly fine for that distance. If your power source was 100 feet away, sure.. go with 12 or even 10-gauge to minimize voltage drop, but given that the Axe only uses about 10w, let me state again, that 12-gauge makes no difference here !!

There's NO OPINION involved here, merely physics. Standard IEC gauge only makes a difference in the expected voltage drop over specific distances. From the average 15-amp wall outlet (Romex fed) to the Axe does NOT need 12-gauge. It's what? 10 feet?? 16-20 gauge is perfectly fine for that distance. If your power source was 100 feet away, sure.. go with 12 or even 10-gauge to minimize voltage drop, but given that the Axe only uses about 10w, let me state again, that 12-gauge makes no difference here !!

Sure. Always the person who makes the scientific argument to refute anyone's belief that anything beyond a $3 power cable from Home Depot is a waste of money.
Easy tiger. Not going to argue with you.
We have a different opinion. You will use the stock $2 cable that Cliff throws in the box and I will use the power cable I have used on my audio equipment and guitar amps for years which costs me hardly more than that.
We will both be happy.

I also use Evidence Audio guitar cables. I like them. You like what you like.

Last edited:
Sure. Always the person who makes the scientific argument to refute anyone's belief that anything beyond a $3 power cable from Home Depot is a waste of money.
Easy tiger. Not going to argue with you.
We have a different opinion. You will use the stock $2 cable that Cliff throws in the box and I will use the power cable I have used on my audio equipment and guitar amps for years which costs me hardly more than that.
We will both be happy.

I also use Evidence Audio guitar cables. I like them. You like what you like.
Just to be clear... I never stated that the $3 Home Depot special was preferable to a more expensive choice. That was a conclusion you arrived at on your own. What I did state was that the gauge of the cable was not relevant.

In fact I highly recommend NOT using a $3 power cable - as you pretty much get what you pay for - so we are in agreement there. But, is a $120 10-foot length of "special" power cable better at delivering power to the Axe than a $12 16-gauge you CAN get from Home Depot. No scientific argument here.
Simply put.. No~!

Just to be clear... I never stated that the $3 Home Depot special was preferable to a more expensive choice. That was a conclusion you arrived at on your own. What I did state was that the gauge of the cable was not relevant.

In fact I highly recommend NOT using a $3 power cable - as you pretty much get what you pay for - so we are in agreement there. But, is a $120 10-foot length of "special" power cable better at delivering power to the Axe than a $12 16-gauge you CAN get from Home Depot. No scientific argument here.
Simply put.. No~!

I have made a ton of these or variants of these power cords. The wire is $3 a foot. :)
You can get the connectors anywhere. I bought a bunch them actually already terminated as Volex power cords which used to use the Belden wire for a few bucks apiece.

http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm

I have also been given $1000 power cords to try from ultra boutique audio manufacturers (I have a very high end stereo system).

I like the 3$ a foot stuff just as well.

In blind tests at several sites over the years-these held up amazingly well.

I think we are on the same page.

Now - back to the Axe Fx II..... :)

Relevant to the topic at hand.

500x_theriphdmi3.jpg

Am I correct in understanding that I would no longer need my Apogee Duet to connect the Axe 2 to my Imac?

Cheers BK, appreciated and welcomed. One less piece of hardware. Just not sure how I would connect my Genelec 8020's (2), to the Imac in that case though :( Any ideas?
Best.

Directly to the Axe-Fx II in that case, from the XLR outs. That's what I plan on with my monitors.

Cheers BK, appreciated and welcomed. One less piece of hardware. Just not sure how I would connect my Genelec 8020's (2), to the Imac in that case though :( Any ideas?
Best.
You connect those to the AXE FX. You should be able so select Axe FX as audio output device on your computer.

Unless guitars are the only thing you ever record, I'd keep your duet. Plus the duet integrates and runs in place of core audio, axe 2 does not afaik

Unless guitars are the only thing you ever record, I'd keep your duet.

Yes, if you want to record vocals, for instance, the Duet should stick around. While technically possible with the AFX II, the Duet will likely do a better job.

Back
Top Bottom