USB audio source has crazy noise floor?

theo

Experienced
I'm trying to do a some reamping via USB at the moment and I'm presented with a lot of hiss.
I've done this before with no problems.

All I'm doing is changing the axe fx 2 via the I/O menu to have is input source as USB and now without the computer making any sounds at all there is a very very high noisefloor.
Obviously I can lower it by turning off my amp block... But that doesn't help me reamp.

The signal is not coming from my stems themselves, or from my DAW for that matter. I can set the axe fx 2 to bypass mode and I get lovely twangy clean guitar DI.

I should add, It doesn't sound like hum or crackle. It just sounds like the noisefloor has been raised very high. A loud hiss.

Shouldn't unless you are reamping the wrong data. Channels 3&4 are the dry data. If you reamp 1&2 then, yes, you'll get a lot of noise because it's already been gained up.

Nah, I never sended the wet tracks,

1. is it any wrong for Axe fx reamping later to only record the 1 left dry mono, send this one out back to the Axe, should I go for a dry stereo track?

2. I noticed that the wave audio looks slight more compressed after reamp with the exact same preset instead the wave clip i recorded processed and straight together with the Dry clip

Nah, I never sended the wet tracks,

1. is it any wrong for Axe fx reamping later to only record the 1 left dry mono, send this one out back to the Axe, should I go for a dry stereo track?

2. I noticed that the wave audio looks slight more compressed after reamp with the exact same preset instead the wave clip i recorded processed and straight together with the Dry clip

The dry tracks are a bit copy of the data from the converter.

Thanks for chiming in everyone.

First I'll explain how my setup works a bit more in depth.

My daw records two tracks simultaneously for guitars.
1: channel 1 or 2
2: channel 3

Track 1 is my amped signal and track 2 is my DI signal recorded in parallel, where I'll do my edits and what have you.
I'll then delete the data on track 1, set my axe fx input to USB, solo track to and record back to track one.

Interestingly enough I worked out what the problem was last night, but I don't understand how it came about.
I have a bass DI track in my current project that has plugins on it. When I deleted these plugins the noisefloor was greatly lowered (I can hear some form of interference going on now but it's low enough that a mild and fast noise gate removes it completely).

What doesn't make sense to me is why these plugins (which are on a muted track!) were affecting the USB audio output of my computer?

I absolutely have to check that too later today, I have plugins on other muted tracks too, not on the masterbus, perhaps I should try solo the DI track i playing back rather than only mute others. On which DAW you are working? Iam on Pro Tools 10.

FWIW I'm on Cubase 6. I've just selected the track2 (my DI) and selected solo. I have also tried muting every other track aside from my DI track with the same results.
Will look into bus return muting once I'm home from work.

I appreciate the idea moke! :D

I made sure there was nothing enabled on the master bus before starting the entire process.
Although ozone was indeed there, it was turned off.

I had ozone enabled on the master bus with dithering enabled and that caused a hiss. the hiss was being driven by the 5150 sim making it noisier. just disabled dither and the hiss went away.
I had CW Sonar do this same with dithering enabled.

Back
Top Bottom