USB Audio Questions?

babuka

Inspired
I am trying to figure out if it is possible to use the USB Audio In from the Axe-Fx II but listen/monitor the audio from another sound card/audio interface without coming back into the analog domain?

I looked at the settings on the Axe-Edit, but have yet to figure out how to do this if it is possible.

by what mechanism, your DAW?
It is possible to have audio in set to Axe2 and have audio out go to another device.. doesn't have to be Axe2 out.

AxeEdit does not process audio...

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to use the USB Audio In from the Axe-Fx II but listen/monitor the audio from another sound card/audio interface without coming back into the analog domain?

I looked at the settings on the Axe-Edit, but have yet to figure out how to do this if it is possible.

Windows or Mac?
You might be able to do it with ASIO4ALL with windows. Mac has a similar built in function. Mac users could give you specifics.

It is possible to have audio in set to Axe2 and have audio out go to another device.. doesn't have to be Axe2 out.

Okay. It just had options in AxeEdit under the enable monitor audio section to select Audio In as Axe-Fx and Audio Out as several options including direct audio out and my soundcard. When I clicked test, my soundcard played the tone through the speakers with only the USB from the Axe connected to the computer, but my guitar would not play through.

When I am in my DAW (Sonar), so far I have only been able to select either the Axe-Fx or my normal audio interface.

W/o third party intervention you can only use one ASIO device at a time. You will not be able to select another device for output if you are using the Axefx for input. ASIO4ALL may allow you to get around this but I have not tried.

W/o third party intervention you can only use one ASIO device at a time. You will not be able to select another device for output if you are using the Axefx for input. ASIO4ALL may allow you to get around this but I have not tried.

I will probably try that ASIO4ALL program in just a minute, but I am still confused of what the language implies on the Axe-Edit program and why I am getting a good 'test' tone out of it but no guitar. All the Axe-Edit has to do is map the audio in to the WMD out drivers and my audio interface will play it, just like it does Youtube, Itunes, etc.

As s0c9 stated axe edit does not process audio. It has really nothing to do with the audio drivers.Axefx does not have WDMdrivers. They are asio only. Without something like asio4all you can not map to the WDM out drivers.

Last edited:
When I am in my DAW (Sonar), so far I have only been able to select either the Axe-Fx or my normal audio interface.

I got everything to work with Windows/Sonar 8.5 Producer and using two interfaces PreSonus Firebox & Axe Fx II.

I had to use ASIO4ALL! With it I now have any combination of in's and out's available.

I successfully get audio to the computer via USB from the Axe-Fx and route computer audio output to an Apogee One.
Only issue I have is that the Mac only sees 1 audio channel over USB even though I am connected to a USB 2.0 port so I haven't had any luck with getting multiple channels of audio from the Axe to the computer.

I successfully get audio to the computer via USB from the Axe-Fx and route computer audio output to an Apogee One.
Only issue I have is that the Mac only sees 1 audio channel over USB even though I am connected to a USB 2.0 port so I haven't had any luck with getting multiple channels of audio from the Axe to the computer.

You know mmmh
I love recording with DAW’s, I really do!
But when I read stuff like this and of course have my own problems I start thinking. Reel to Reel, 16ips, ½ “ tape, 8 tracks. In some ways it was easier, yeah you had limitations and had to plan what to print and what to leave dry and so on. But with the computers/DAW a new piece of software or hardware can sometimes bring everything to a hault.

If you use a Mac and Logic, Logic sees the multiple inputs/outputs over the Axe II USB. You have to choose the right input on the slider for that track. For those that can afford it, the RME Fireface UC is an amazing interface that works incredibly well with the Axe II and Logic. It has many inputs/outputs that you can send to speakers and a video camera. Also has multiple "soft" inputs from the computer. The hardware outputs can be "looped back" to the computer also. So, for example, I played a backtrack on a track in Logic an sent it to the Fireface via its USB. The Axe II goes into the Fireface via S/PIDF. So that's one "soft" input from the computer and one "hard" input from the Axe II. They can me mixed in any matrix with the Fireface software. So I send the mix of the BT and Axe II to a hard output to speakers, another to the video camera mic input and I loopback one of the mixes to Logic to record the audio (a second version of audio that I can then master in Logic). I then can sync this Logic recording to my video camera audio if I don't like the vid camera version.

Finally, the matrix in Fireface allows you to quickly choose which outputs get which inputs (think of a square grid with inputs and outputs on X/Y axes - just click on the intersection and set the db). So I also set the Axe II S/PIDF input to only go out one particular hardware output and I looped that back (in other words it was not mixed with the BT input). So I could record just the guitar in Logic while playing with the BT. Logic inputs recognize the various outputs coming from the Fireface's USB connection.

So you can have different outputs with different mixes AND you can loop any of those outputs back to Logic and record them on separate tracks.

RME is hands down one of the best audio interfaces out there in my opinion. Got to love that German engineering!

M

Last edited:
Okay. It just had options in AxeEdit under the enable monitor audio section to select Audio In as Axe-Fx and Audio Out as several options including direct audio out and my soundcard. When I clicked test, my soundcard played the tone through the speakers with only the USB from the Axe connected to the computer, but my guitar would not play through.

babuka
Just to give you a heads up I upgraded to to Sonar X1 today from 8.5 (Producer versions BTW) I no longer need the ASIO4ALL driver. I can select all the in's and out's of both devices.
I did not upgrade just because I was being forced to use ASIO4ALL been meaning to do it for as while. And while I was integrating the AF II with my stuff, figured might as well do it all and get it over with.
Sonarsettings.jpg

babukaJust to give you a heads up I upgraded to to Sonar X1 today from 8.5 (Producer versions BTW) I no longer need the ASIO4ALL driver. I can select all the in's and out's of both devices.I did not upgrade just because I was being forced to use ASIO4ALL been meaning to do it for as while. And while I was integrating the AF II with my stuff, figured might as well do it all and get it over with.
Sonarsettings.jpg
That is odd. It looks like you are using wavert and not asio. I thought the drivers were asio only. At least that is the info that was given. I'll have to check. Sonar x1 doesn't use drivers any differently from 8.5 afaik.

That is odd. It looks like you are using wavert and not asio. I thought the drivers were asio only. At least that is the info that was given. I'll have to check. Sonar x1 doesn't use drivers any differently from 8.5 afaik.

I need to look into this more as well. Haven't had much time this weekend. If I start X1 with both my fireface UFX and Axe II running I get a window at start up stating Audio driver Error- the following drivers either do not support the current audio format or are in use by anolther application. Choose what you want to do. Disable or use anyway.

If you click "use anyway" it loads the axeII under WDM.

I'll mess around tomorrow and try all the different scenarios.

Craig

Last edited:
Hey Sean

Checking the driver mode it is set WDM/KS. Not my choice, when I installed X1 it ran the "Wave Profiler" (audio interface profiler really) and came up with that driver.
I still have the choice of other drivers including ASIO, but everything is working the way I want so not going to rock the boat.

Keep in mind I just installed it today, it works but I have not road tested yet. I was surprised when it allowed me to pick what I want without using ASIO4ALL
Like I said not the reason I upgraded, but a pleasant surprise anyway.

John

Hey SeanChecking the driver mode it is set WDM/KS. Not my choice, when I installed X1 it ran the "Wave Profiler" (audio interface profiler really) and came up with that driver.I still have the choice of other drivers including ASIO, but everything is working the way I want so not going to rock the boat.Keep in mind I just installed it today, it works but I have not road tested yet. I was surprised when it allowed me to pick what I want without using ASIO4ALL Like I said not the reason I upgraded, but a pleasant surprise anyway.John
Not really a surprise with WDM drivers. You can use WDM drivers together. I just was under the impression there were no WDM drivers for the axefx II.apparently there are.

Last edited:
OK over coming problems, getting there!

I'm going to shut up for now Sean, before I put foot in mouth again.

Back
Top Bottom