Upgrading firmware for newbies

kabong

Inspired
Can you use the axe-edit to upgrade the ultra firmware? If not, can you use a program like Sonar to do it? Hate to ask these questions, but being a new owner, I just want to make sure I don't screw up the upgrade. :roll:

Personally, I'm keeping my distance from the editor until it's out of beta. With that said, I've had good luck using MIDI-OX.

I have used the Axe Edit many times to update and had no issues. (MAC ad PC)
No idea on the Sonar.

To update your Axe-Fx firmware please follow the following steps:

1. Connect your PC's MIDI Out to the Axe-Fx MIDI In.

2. Load the accompanying sysex file into your MIDI librarian.

3. On your Axe-Fx press UTILITY and then PAGE >> until you reach the FIRMWARE page.

4. Press ENTER.

5. Send the file from your PC to the Axe-Fx. A progress box should appear on the Axe-Fx displaying the transfer progress. It will take several minutes to transfer the file.

NOTE: If the progress bar jumps back to the beginning then a data error has occurred. This can happen due to noise, marginal MIDI adapter implementations, etc. If this occurs abort the transfer from the PC and turn the Axe-Fx off. Turn the Axe-Fx back on and go back to step 3. If data errors continue to occur then there is likely a problem with your MIDI hardware or device drivers.

6. If all goes well the Axe-Fx will display "GOOD CHECKSUM" and proceed to reprogram the flash memory. If the file format was incorrectly interpreted by your librarian or any other problems occur the Axe-Fx will display "BAD CHECKSUM" and abort the update procedure. If this happens turn the unit off and then back on and check your librarian settings and then repeat this procedure.

7. After the flash has been reprogrammed turn the unit off, wait several seconds then turn the unit back on. Your new firmware is now ready to use!

Notes:

- Firmware is provided in raw sysex format. You can use this format with MIDI-OX as well as many other MIDI librarians.

- Due to constant improvements there may be some minor differences in sound when upgrading firmware. After upgrading you should check that your presets sound the way you desire. You may need to fine tune the gain, EQ, etc.

- If you are using MIDI-OX to send the firmware to the Axe-Fx be aware that MIDI-OX's default settings may cause a buffer overrun error in that program. We recommend the following settings:

Low Level I/O Buffers: size - 256, number - 16
Milliseconds between buffers: 90

To configure MIDI-OX use: View -> Sysex to bring up the Sysex view window then Sysex -> Configure to configure the buffers.

NOTE: Some combinations of computer and MIDI adapter are known to cause problems. The M-Audio UNO in particular is problematic. If you are having problems installing the firmware and are using this adapter it is highly recommended that you consider investing in a different adapter.

If you have any problems or questions please email support at support@fractalaudio.com

You can also try the beta editor.
settings-update firmware-navigate to firmeware-click open- follow steps 3-4 above, send the firmware from the editor. This part of the editor is solid (not much to it).
Whether it works or not is a different story. Over the tome I've used the Ultra I've had to go from midiox, to sendsx, to Lar's editor, then the beta editor, now back to Lar's editor. Go figure.

ang said:
ok so theres new presets files are posted as well
are the presets updated when updating the firmware, or these new preset files need to be loaded after a firmware update?
im updating from 7.18
The firmware and presets are updated/loaded separately.

Not to hijack the thread, but for those of us with computers without midi jacks, the "midi out" on audio interfaces (like my ESI 1808) would perform the same job, right?

Fikealox said:
Not to hijack the thread, but for those of us with computers without midi jacks, the "midi out" on audio interfaces (like my ESI 1808) would perform the same job, right?
Assuming it does work :D, yes, that would be exactly normal. :)
In this case, you can call that an audio/midi interface.

kabong said:
Can you use the axe-edit to upgrade the ultra firmware? If not, can you use a program like Sonar to do it? Hate to ask these questions, but being a new owner, I just want to make sure I don't screw up the upgrade. :roll:

New editor works great here for firmware updates. Never a problem. I also use Sonar (I have 8 Producer) for many sysex excl stuff. Works great also. Sonar has tons of room for banks and patches

More or less copied this from another thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8704

8.01 didn't move with the editor, but went in fine with Bome's SendSX. So did 8.02.

SendSX is much simpler than Midi-OX. SendSX has only two windows: in and out. Install the program, set the midi-ports. Then here are the instructions for Firmware update with SendSX:
Prepare the Axe-FX (Utility button, yada yada). Doubleclick on the firmware.syx file and hit send.

That's really all there is to it.

You don't even have to open the program if you let it associate itself with .syx files during the install.

If you need more Midi functionality go for Midi-OX, but for the ordinary Axe-FX-use get SendSX.

Back
Top Bottom