Upgrade All Presets utility

gaaarfild

I have an FM3 and FM9. When I got the latest beta update for FM3, I used "Upgrade All Presets" in the Setup > Utilities menu. When I installed the latest firmware on FM9, I wanted to do the same, but didn't find it on FM9. Does it mean that everything is already upgraded?

No. If I am remembering correctly, that utility was added to the FM3 several firmware revisions ago, when there was a special need to save all presets. It was never added to the FM9.

In fact the latest update for the FM9 applies the new amp parameter settings automatically. You can of course load and save your presets manually, or do a round trip using Fractal-Bot and Manage Presets.

No. If I am remembering correctly, that utility was added to the FM3 several firmware revisions ago, when there was a special need to save all presets. It was never added to the FM9.

In fact the latest update for the FM9 applies the new amp parameter settings automatically. You can of course load and save your presets manually, or do a round trip using Fractal-Bot and Manage Presets.
Thank you! Then I guess I'm good :)

@gaaarfild, I made a screen capture video showing how to use FM9-Edit's Manage Presets to re-save all of your presets under the installed firmware version. This might also be handy for anyone who skipped version 6 and wants to ensure that their presets are ready for gapless switching.

Here's the file:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/Manage-Presets-Save-All.mp4

Last edited:
@gaaarfild, I made a screen capture video showing how to use FM9-Edit's Manage Presets to re-save all of your presets under the installed firmware version. This might also be handy for anyone who skipped version 6 and wants to ensure that their presets are ready for gapless switching.

Here's the file:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/Manage-Presets-Save-All.mp4
What's happening here is that presets loaded via Manage Presets are automatically adjusted to the currently loaded firmware version, right?
But if I use FractalBot to load that backup, that doesn't happen, those presets stay at whatever version they were, exactly as saved?

What's happening here is that presets loaded via Manage Presets are automatically adjusted to the currently loaded firmware version, right?
But if I use FractalBot to load that backup, that doesn't happen, those presets stay at whatever version they were, exactly as saved?
The method Matt is using is essentially overwriting all presets with the exact same settings, then saving. That updates the presets "saved under" property.

When you use FractalBot to load a backup, it's similar but the the presets are "restored" not "saved", so nothing is changed.

I don't think so.
Just to confirm:
  • That process marks each preset as having been saved by the current firmware revision, so it won't think it's been modified when you open it?
  • Am I right that the recommended way to apply any new defaults is to choose a different amp then go back to your original amp
  • Will that process reset all amp block parameters to their defaults, or will it preserve your original settings?

Just to confirm:
  • That process marks each preset as having been saved by the current firmware revision, so it won't think it's been modified when you open it?
  • Am I right that the recommended way to apply any new defaults is to choose a different amp then go back to your original amp
  • Will that process reset all amp block parameters to their defaults, or will it preserve your original settings?
This was all hashed out a couple firmwares back.

Saving the presets is required for full gapless.

For getting new amp parameters, it's arguable what is the "best" method, IMO.

If I remember right, I used the Reset Amp option in manage presets.

I don't think Matt's method updates the settings in any way.

It's shocking to me that Fractal doesn't provide detailed information and instructions on this. There was a whole lot of confusion around the FM3 firmware 8 update that went on for weeks, and as far as I remember, an official answer was never provided by Fractal as to how to update the amp blocks and exactly what gets updated.

I am a big fan of Fractal products, but I think there is some room for improvement with this particular issue.

This was all hashed out a couple firmwares back.

Saving the presets is required for full gapless.

For getting new amp parameters, it's arguable what is the "best" method, IMO.

If I remember right, I used the Reset Amp option in manage presets.

I don't think Matt's method updates the settings in any way.
Matt's method is new, at least to me, so I wanted to understand exactly what it did and didn't do.

And I have to agree with @MLocascio to some degree. Yes this has been talked about extensively, but the net result isn't exactly clear-cut. You said as much yourself, in the same post where you said it had already been hashed out.

Back
Top Bottom