UPDATE: Issue when changing patches in Axe-Edit

H13

Inspired
Hey

I've been getting a problem with Axe-Edit. If I try to change patches in Axe-Edit (either with my foot pedal or clicking on a patch with the mouse), it freezes, the patch doesn't change and the screen on the AFX goes blank.

There's no error message or anything. It all just stops working.

I've reinstalled Axe-Edit twice (Made sure it's the most recent version both times) and that temporarily fixes it, but then it comes back.

Any ideas?

Edit: The issue ONLY happens when changing patches when Axe-Edit is open. I can change patches all day as long as Axe-Edit is closed.

Last edited:
That sounds weird, when using Axe Edit there's always an added glitch when changing presets, if I find it annoying I just shut down the axe Edit application. It has been improved over the years.

H13, I think you may need to provide more details. i.e., type of computer, AxeFxII mkII or XL+?, version of AxeFxII and MFC firmware?
Are your presets you are changing to high in CPU load on the AxeFx?
All drivers up to date?

If your in axe edit you can't use the front panel or the mfc101, you need to use. Axe-edit to change things. Then you Pause Axe-edit or close it when u want to use the pedal.

If your in axe edit you can't use the front panel or the mfc101, you need to use. Axe-edit to change things. Then you Pause Axe-edit or close it when u want to use the pedal.

I've been able to do it before? It's only happened with this version of Axe-Edit. Edit: Also notice that I said it happens when I try to change presets using Axe-Edit itself OR the Footswitch.

I'm running an AFX2 XL, using the most up-to-date firmware and version of Axe-Edit. All computer drivers are up to date. I'm changing to\from high CPU load patches on the AFX, and I'm running a pretty beastly i7 that I can't remember all the stats off the top of my head.

It's been that way since at least FW version 13 when I got my XL. It works for some things, but the behavior is often unpredictable. That's why there's a pause button in Axe Edit.

Last edited:
Update: This bug only happens when switching my bass patches. My guitar patches? No issues whatsoever.

Any ideas?

Update: This bug only happens when switching my bass patches. My guitar patches? No issues whatsoever.

Any ideas?
Corrupted preset block(s)?? The first step in debugging issues like this is find one that works, and see what differs between that and one that doesn't?

I am having kind of the same issue with axe edit. I hit pause and enable or disable an effect, then unpause and it doesn't update the proper status of the effect on axe edit, but on the axe itself you can see the status has changed. And vice versa, if you change an effect status in axe edit, it isn't updating the MFC led status lights to reflect the change.
Quantum 2.04 XL+ and latest edit version on a Mac, never had issues like this before that I remember.

I'm a noob and will always be. Just have the MFC a short time. Did not know I should go to "Settings>pause communication" when I step on MFC to change presets or engage/disengage effects or use front panel on Axe Fx. Everything seems be going good. will keep an eye on this thread. I have "total sync-on" on" in MFC. Just using basic setup on MFC as it came.

I too pass the same problem. After the last update freezes both the axe edit and the test when changing presets

Reactions: H13
I'm also experiencing what JHMorris is
Change effect state (engaged/disengaged) on Axe edit, is not reflected in lights on MFC
Change effect state (engaged/disengaged) on MFC, is not reflected in Axe edit screen.

Don't use Axe Edit and the MFC (or any other MIDI controller) at the same time. When you are running Axe Edit, it needs to function as the sole controller for the Axe in order for it to stay in sync. If you make changes with the front panel or MFC, Axe Edit may not handle those changes properly and you can end up with unpredictable behavior or even corrupt presets. If you need to make changes with the front panel or the MFC, pause Axe Edit first. When you un-pause, it will poll the Axe FX for the status of the current preset and everything will be back in sync again. Axe Edit is not meant to be used along side other controllers. Sometimes it works fine, but other time it can really freak out. Use that pause button.

The MFC does not seem to update it's status in real time for everything. If you make a lot of changes to a preset, you sometimes need to save the preset in the Axe and then reload it in order for the MFC to fully get back in sync with the status of that preset. Safest bet is to save the preset and then cycle to another preset right quick so the MFC can re-poll the Axe for the current status of everything.

Last edited:
Don't use Axe Edit and the MFC at the same time. When you are running Axe Edit, it needs to function as the sole controller for the Axe in order for it to stay in sync. If you make changes with the front panel or MFC, Axe Edit may not handle those changes properly and you can end up with unpredictable behavior or even corrupt presets. If you need to make changes with the front panel or the MFC, pause Axe Edit first. When you un-pause it it will poll the Axe FX for the status of the current preset and everything will be back in sync again. Axe Edit is not meant to be used along side other controllers. Sometimes it works fine, but other time it can really freak out. Use that pause button.

First: I'm not running MFC.

Secondly, the issue happens even if I just try to change presets using Axe Edit itself. Footswitch off, go to change presets in Axe-Edit? Axe edit freezes, the AFX freezes and I have to turn off\turn on again.

Only happens on certain patches. I have no idea how blocks get corrupted or how to fix them if they do or even IF they get corrupted.

Do you by chance have your Axe plugged into a USB 3.0 port? It sometimes doesn't play nice with some USB 3.0 ports. I had some weird lockups with Axe Edit early on and someone suggested switching to a USB 2.0 port. Haven't had any issues since.

If you have really busy presets with lots of blocks, modifiers, controllers, etc. you can exceed the maximum preset size. When that happens, stuff may not get saved correctly and things can get unpredictable. It's rare for most users, but it can happen.

It's plugged into USB 2.

The patch in question runs at 83% usage. I wouldn't have thought that was too bad? It's fairly linear

It is in pause and will not sync correctly when un paused. The only time it will re-sync correctly is if you change scenes, then the blocks will be updated correctly on axe edit.

Why is it in pause? I don't even know how to put Axe-Edit on pause. Is it something that it does automatically? Can I turn that off?

There's a pause button on the top left corner of the axe edit window whic pauses the communication between the device and axe edit. When you un-pause it reconnects communication.

Back
Top Bottom