Overdrive Drive = Overdrive

For TripTik
Input Level = Input Drive
Drive = Overdrive

For Fryette Deliverance
Gain1 = Input Drive
Gain2 = Overdrive

:encouragement:

As someone who has owned Mesa Mark series and Deliverances in the past, I love this new setup! Definitely easier to get closer to what I remember these amps sounding like!

Definitely going to hold off for awhile before updating. The Fryette is the heart of almost all of my patches... I'm excited, but don't have time to re-work everything.

So just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, will there now be three total level controls before the poweramp (Input Level, Input Drive, Oversrive) instead of Input Level and Drive like in previous firmwares? Or, are there still two overall controls, but they've been more clearly labeled and placed in a more accessible location?

So just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, will there now be three total level controls before the poweramp (Input Level, Input Drive, Oversrive) instead of Input Level and Drive like in previous firmwares? Or, are there still two overall controls, but they've been more clearly labeled and placed in a more accessible location?

On various amps - yes, not on all amp models ;)

Thanks but one question. What would the equivalents be on the axe for "Overdrive Master"?

mmh....on a dumble you got Drive (Overdrive) and "Ratio" (Overdrive Master) - then comes the overall master control - for us, just take the master as your OD-Master or "Ratio" control. On the Boogie....mmh good question? ;)

EDIT: Stupid me - the boogie paradigm is faulty....Master is after the V4 stage..... *uugh*

Last edited:
I think this new input drive / overdrive is most apparent on the Mesa Mark models - I just loaded up 10.10 . Using USA Lead + ie Mark IV lead channel amp block on Pre : first knob is - Input drive - last knob is Overdrive .
Ive tweaked a bit and this is sounding ALOT better .... I think .... I think ... I have a lamb of God tone :shock
I'll give it the LOG test and report back . \M/

It is easy to get familiar with the action of these controls and you’ll be amazed with your ability to make any guitar sound mellow, fat, soulful or aggressive.

Yes for sure...spent some time this afternoon playing with these control interactions on the Dumble and Triptik Classic models and was liking how you can change the character easily. These are great control additions; definitely going to explore them more in amps that support them...I found several sweet spots on both amps, especially when using them with the Master and depending on what I was looking for. Very cool stuff...

Here's what the user manual for the Mesa Boogie Mark IV says about the Lead Gain (Axe-Fx's Input Drive) & Lead Drive (Axe-Fx's Overdrive) controls:

SETTING THE LEAD MODE:

LEAD GAIN:

This control sets up the input sensitivity for the LEAD mode. The more signal strength dialed in here, early in the preamp, the more distortion will be available at the LEAD DRIVE control. Yet it is not necessary or recommended to turn the LEAD GAIN fully.

Best results will occur with settings in the 8 range. As you approach a Gain of 7, the Lead sound will become extremely focused, rich and smooth; above 8 total saturation occurs, reducing the effectiveness of the tone controls and causing increased "microphonics" and noise in the preamp tubes. You'll notice subtle shifts in distortion tonality by trying different mixes of LEAD GAIN and LEAD DRIVE. The LEAD GAIN control incorporates a PULL FAT for thickening the sound and saturating the signal further. This pull shift lowers the frequency of the Treble, adding a boost in the lower midrange. Try this shift for beefing up the sound of weaker, stock pick-ups or simply for adding focus at virtually any setting of the GAIN control.

There are also some great singing, slightly distorted sounds that come from low settings of Gain and Drive with FAT pushed in. "Onset of Clip" and "threshold of distortion" are phrases often used to describe these sounds, which reveal the true blue beauty of the MARK IV's all-tube lineage (see the traditional blues setting on the Sample Settings sheet further back in this manual).

LEAD DRIVE:

This control works in conjunction with LEAD GAIN to determine the amount of sustain and overdrive. It is not necessary or even recommended to run the LEAD DRIVE way up in order to generate a sound that is fully saturated, so try settings in the 5-7 region. Higher settings tend to increase noise and squealing without really embellishing the sound or feel.

Notice that this control comes on very rapidly at low settings, then changes only gradually throughout the rest of its rotation. Familiarize yourself with the point which represents the beginning or "threshold" of overdrive; it creates an expressive distortion which is touch-sensitive to picking dynamics, providing harmonics that stay glued to the fundamental note. You'll find lots of great sounds in this 2 to 4 region!

I searched a lot of forums and watched several amp demo videos, and for a good heavy "John Petrucci" like sound, the most common setting for the Lead Gain (Input Drive) is 8 (by far). For the Lead Drive (Overdrive), it's also 8, or a little lower (as low as 5).

For the USA Lead amp sims, I would recommend putting the Input Drive at 8.00, then bringing the Overdrive up from 5.00 until you have the amount of saturation you are looking for. Adjust to taste after that. :)

Back
Top Bottom