UltraRes vs Producer/OH cabs

jdolll

Inspired
I've been considering purchasing either the OH cab packs or the Fractal Producer packs, but I'm hesitant to buy any of them knowing that at some point down the line the UltraRes cab IR's are going to be coming. I realize it probably won't be a waste as I would expect there would be some sort of converter to make a wav IR into an UltraRes IR. But I don't want to waste the money (yeah I know it's only 57 dollars for the 3 packs I would be purchasing) if I should just wait for the UltraRes stuff and the new/updated cabinet packs. Thoughts anyone?

Among the fact that different IR`s sound different (OH, Cab Pack, ...) i do not believe, that Ultrares IR´s will be a game-changer tonewise. From the look at Cliff`s plots he posted i would say: Yes, they will rise the amount of accuracy to the real thing, but i aspect, it won`t be a game-changer.

Months ago i test it myself: CAB IR vs. real cab+mic+mic position of the cab IR. Conclusion: Sounds almost identical to me. That said, the ultimate test would be to invert the phase on one track (track CAB IR OR track real cab). I normalized both tracks, if they had been identical, the sum of both had to be a 100% cancelation, when inverting the phase of one track. This was not happened. Why not? i don`t know. Speculations: Early reflections are lost in the IR because of the size of the IR, speaker non-linearity, no (absolute) perfect accuracy (UltraRes will raise...), test environment was not good enough ...

Anyway: A/B test by ear = sounds almost identical. So what i did aspect from UltraRes = sounds almost more identical. Question is: will i hear the difference? We`ll see ...

Conclusion: Take your hands down on IR´s you aspect a improvement soundwise in respect to the sound you`re looking for...

Last edited:
Kevin from Own Hammer is on record saying that the Ultra Res versions of (at least) the Mix Collection IR's will be available to owners for free for current owners.

Well, I guess I know where I am putting my money.

Thanks for pointing that out, Scott.

-Nate

Do you know if the fractal producer packs are ready to be converterd to the new format?

I just got confirmation on this. The existing Fractal Producer Packs were captured with the Axe-FX II in the current configuration offered. Future producer packs will be offered in Ultra Res. Per M@tt at Fractal Audio.

I just got confirmation on this. The existing Fractal Producer Packs were captured with the Axe-FX II in the current configuration offered. Future producer packs will be offered in Ultra Res. Per M@tt at Fractal Audio.

Sorry, still confused: "offered" for repurchase or free to existing owners?

Sorry, still confused: "offered" for repurchase or free to existing owners?

What is available now is what it is; they were captured with Axe-FX II's IR capture only. No Ultra Res on these current Fractal Audio Producer Packs available as I post this; not now, not ever unless they are recaptured from scratch.

Future (aka NEW) packs will be available in UltraRes once it is released in the firmware updates.

NOTE: ***This is as was told to me and as I understand it. Subject to change or be altered; I don't work for Fractal and am just trying to help answer your question best I can.

THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL WORD - but it is 100% accurate to my understanding of what I was told.

All I did was contact Fractal Audio and ask them; that gets things explained far better than just a post on the forum. ;) :D

Please feel free to contact them directly and ask to confirm what I was told and am posting here.

Kevin from Own Hammer is on record saying that the Ultra Res versions of (at least) the Mix Collection IR's will be available to owners for free for current owners.

That's really standup of him. Stuff like that is why I will continue to support Ownhammer- not to mention that the Mix Collection IRs are already excellent- between the Producer Packs and the Mix Collection, I've never been happier with my cab collection.

That's really standup of him. Stuff like that is why I will continue to support Ownhammer- not to mention that the Mix Collection IRs are already excellent- between the Producer Packs and the Mix Collection, I've never been happier with my cab collection.

I am waiting for the 2x12 IR's to be shot. It would be reassuring to know that if the 2x12 IR's are released in the current file format, that Ownhammer will make those available in UltraRes when UltraRes is available, that would be great news.

What is available now is what it is; they were captured with Axe-FX II's IR capture only. No Ultra Res on these current Fractal Audio Producer Packs available as I post this; not now, not ever unless they are recaptured from scratch.

Future (aka NEW) packs will be available in UltraRes once it is released in the firmware updates.

NOTE: ***This is as was told to me and as I understand it. Subject to change or be altered; I don't work for Fractal and am just trying to help answer your question best I can.

THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL WORD - but it is 100% accurate to my understanding of what I was told.

All I did was contact Fractal Audio and ask them; that gets things explained far better than just a post on the forum. ;) :D

Please feel free to contact them directly and ask to confirm what I was told and am posting here.
Thanks for the clarification. The information contained in the implication of "captured" combined with "offered" eluded me. I am still a II newb.

That is great news for everyone who already bought the Studio Mix Libraries from Ownhammer. I hope this is still the case.

Does the Fractal Cab Pack 3 have literally all the exact same IRs, separate mic options, and mixes as the Ownhammer Versions, just with UltraRes options as well?

Back
Top Bottom