ULTRA R.I.P.?

...Now you'd be lucky to get $1,400 for an ULTRA or $900 for a standard. I don't understand why we're all supposed to be so stoked about this?! Especially those of us, like me, who just "invested" $2,000 within the last few months, in my case Feb. '11.
Resale value yet to be determined. Depends on how much sellers start undercutting each other.

Those throwing fits and/or hoping Fractal gets sued better be car-less and computer-less. Otherwise they have no leg to stand on.

i think i'm going to hold on to my ultra until the axe fx II ultra comes out next year :)

IMHO, the real resale value loser are the Ultra owners. The price difference of the Standard will probably cause their resale value to remain about the same. But, barring the inability to get a new Axe II because of stock issues, the price point of the Ultra is going to drop considerably. Who would spend $1600 or $1700 on a used Ultra, when you can get the new model for only a little bit more?

In addition to that, we have been led to believe that there was still more room for firmware improvements/additions in the Ultra that we probably will never see now with the new model.

Yes, my Ultra is still awesome, but I certainly think we are the real losers in this new Fractal world.

This is the reason I bought an Ultra (and not a Standard): ON-GOING F/W UPGRADES

And these are quotes that promised/swore there would be on-going improvements to the Ultra (perhaps not so for the Standard):

- Javajunkie: "Cliff stated the Standard's memory was maxed out and the future releases would be for bug fixes and smaller features. The exception being amps and drive models, it uses a different portion of memory."
(ref: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-zone/26187-ultra-only-firmware-updates-future.html)

- Fractalaudio: "The regular Axe-Fx is just about out of memory. Future support will consist of bug fixes and limited feature enhancement. The Ultra has a ton of memory."
(ref: http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.php?t=267&highlight=standard+future&mforum=axefx)

- Shahola: "cliff has said standard has plenty of room for more...but stuff related to effects...like multi-band compression, some reverb algorithms, etc...didn't want to be left behind on some things, so I upgraded to the ultra...keep that in mind....if cliff decides to add some crazy stuff in the future, standard may not handle it."
(ref: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-general-discussion/28216-im-sold-just-not-sure-one.html)

- mortega76: "Cliff has mentioned that as far as adding any more complex style effects on the Standard would not be possible because of the memory limitations compared to the Ultra... as far as amps, Cliff has mentioned several times that there is plenty of room for amps"
(ref: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...emory-differences-between-standard-ultra.html)

... and I could find a hundred more Google hits where it keeps coming up over and over again: the Ultra is far from maxed out.

Now, fast-forward to 2011-05-08:

"The Ultra is history" (what an effective way to make sure existing owners will not be able to sell theirs at a fair price!).

... along with a firmware update that adds "some of the techniques from the Axe-Fx II." (and is limited to "tighter, more defined bass and also less flubiness when using high MV settings"). Like others have suggested, was this just intended to reduce the frustration? Is this the last update?

If Fractal continues to commit to firmware enhancements for the Ultra (which, remember, has "plenty of room" and "a ton of memory"), then I am thrilled. I may even one day buy an Axe-FX II.

But if development is abandoned, then I am very disappointed. And I *will* hesitate when it comes time to trust the hype the next time around. On-going development? Maybe, maybe not? And the very unfortunate "Ultra is history" statement pasted all over the Internet certainly seems to indicate that we, existing owners, are justified to be worried, no?

Yes, my Ultra still sounds good. But that's not the reason I chose an Ultra (the Standard also sounds good, and I could have saved a bundle). I chose the Ultra to ensure I could follow the enhancement path. Did that enhancement path just bite the dust? Time will tell?

I think an official statement from Fractal Audio on future f/w upgrades for the Standard and Ultra is in order.

Totally agree with you Dpoirier. "The Axe-fx 1 is history" was a slap in the face to old users, very evil.
An official statement from Cliff would be nice because a lot of guys are disappointed and there is some kind of panic in the air.

I'm not complaining because I'm one of the lucky guys who buyed Ultra years ago, but please, G66 or whoever is in charge of that....
The "Ultra is History" statement in the home page of G66 is the worst thing you could do to all of us trying to sell our used Ultras, please REMOVE IT !

I'm not complaining because I'm one of the lucky guys who buyed Ultra years ago, but please, G66 or whoever is in charge of that....
The "Ultra is History" statement in the home page of G66 is the worst thing you could do to all of us trying to sell our used Ultras, please REMOVE IT !

i don't think cliff and fractal had anything to do with the G66 page although i could be wrong. cliff even chimed in recently on another post saying that he never said that there won't be any more firmware upgrades for the ultra.

i don't think cliff and fractal had anything to do with the G66 page although i could be wrong. cliff even chimed in recently on another post saying that he never said that there won't be any more firmware upgrades for the ultra.

As far as I know, G66, as FractalAudio official importer/reseller should be in the same ship that the company it represents in Europe. It's not about firmware upgrades, it's about if some of us want to sell our Ultra to make some money to afford AxeFx II, the last thing we want our potential buyers see when they enter G66 is "Ultra is History".

And the very unfortunate "Ultra is history" statement.

Whoever came up with this statement (and i don't care who it was) made a massive PR mistake for many existing users, it was obviously not a slap in the face to anyone, but to people who have been singing the praises of the Ultra only hours earlier for no profit to themselves, it was badly done.

I have to agree there. The countdown idea was good, but the execution of the daily marketing copy (text) and graphics design was not.

bought my ultra cuase i didnt want to be left out of new things coming up..... an now it looks like that is the case, although i was happy with the ultra... half the reason i bought it just walked out the door!..... unless were wrong???????????

As far as I know, G66, as FractalAudio official importer/reseller should be in the same ship that the company it represents in Europe. It's not about firmware upgrades, it's about if some of us want to sell our Ultra to make some money to afford AxeFx II, the last thing we want our potential buyers see when they enter G66 is "Ultra is History".

right on. i agree, that was very stupid wording on G66's part

I followed the AxeFx for several years before purchasing my Ultra about a year ago. I wanted to be sure it did everything I needed it to do (and cover all the gear I would be getting rid of), and it did. Now it does everything I could ask of it. To be honest, I probably wouldn't buy the Axe II until it had a year to 'cook', or if it is doing something I can't do today. Faster processor, some enhanced I/O.....I'm in no hurry.

"Fractalworldwide" never was nor is affiliated with Fractal Audio. In fact, the user community and Cliff himself has gone to lengths to shut that guy down.

Does your Ultra somehow not sound as good as it did yesterday or in the past?

If the new unit's sounds are so much more like a real amp, what do we have now?

I followed the AxeFx for several years before purchasing my Ultra about a year ago. I wanted to be sure it did everything I needed it to do (and cover all the gear I would be getting rid of), and it did. Now it does everything I could ask of it. To be honest, I probably wouldn't buy the Axe II until it had a year to 'cook', or if it is doing something I can't do today. Faster processor, some enhanced I/O.....I'm in no hurry.

I'm with you on this....same exact reasoning.

If the new unit's sounds are so much more like a real amp, what do we have now?

exactly. If the Axe II seriously undermines the quality of the amp/cab sims in the Standard/Ultra, then there will be a big problem. If initial responses to the Axe II are: "Wow, it was so much easier to get this tone out of the Axe II compared to my old Ultra - I struggled with getting this amp tone for weeks on my Ultra, but it was immediate with the Axe-II"...this will be a big problem for existing Standard/Ultra owners b/c the cat will be out of the bag.

Time will tell. As much as I'd like to see the Axe II succeed in this respect, part of me is dreading this reality. Thank god I'm a bassist, and I only really care about 2 or 3 amp & cabinet combinations. For 6/7-string guitarists, this may be the day of reckoning...or not (we hope).

Back
Top Bottom