Ultra Freezes after 3-4 days beeing constantly on!

11&2

Hi,

sometimes sooner sometimes later my Ultra freezes (Tempo Button shows no light, switches don´t react anymore ...).

The only thing I have done "wrong" is leaving the unit constantly on. So is it normal that the unit freezes after some time simply for keeping it powered up?

Thanks, S.

11&2 said:
Hi,

sometimes sooner sometimes later my Ultra freezes (Tempo Button shows no light, switches don´t react anymore ...).

The only thing I have done "wrong" is leaving the unit constantly on. So is it normal that the unit freezes after some time simply for keeping it powered up?

Thanks, S.

not here. I've left mine on for over a week at a time (kept forgetting to turn it off). It hasn't locked up on me.

With all electronics that are microprocessor-based, the most common cause of latching up is power related, e.g. brown outs, etc.

Just power it down and on again, should be fine.

In the worst instances, you have to remove the power feed, leave it for a full minute or so, then it should be fine. This is in no way specific to the Axe-FX, by the way.

Mine also does something similar, but I've only noticed it since firmware 8.something.
It hasn't yet done it on 9.00.

It wasn't necessarily 3-4 days, so much as just being random and more on the order of a week or more.
I hadn't figured out any sort of pattern to it (if it was a certain patch or not) so Brian G's suggestion that it's the local power having a hiccup at a particularly inopportune time for the processor might be exactly it.

I guess it begs the question, "why do you need it to be on for such long periods at a time". I mean, we all know how addictive the Axe FX is but really, you should get some sleep man! :lol:

I've had this happen a few times. After a quick off/on, everything's fine. I don't know if it's happened since 9.0.

There was a bug in pre-9.00 in the Reverb block that could result in crashing over long periods of time.

My screen would go blank after a prolonged period of time...I hit Recall and it would come back up...may be normal. Don't recall it happening since I went to 9.

Not for me, in my case (as stated) it locks up completely.

And I don´t think I have any reverb block involved.

Actually I just realized something. There's a counter that rolls over after about 60 hours or something. If it rolls over the unit could crash. But I figured no one would ever leave the unit on for more than 16 hours or so.

FractalAudio said:
Actually I just realized something. There's a counter that rolls over after about 60 hours or something. If it rolls over the unit could crash. But I figured no one would ever leave the unit on for more than 16 hours or so.

I have forgotten to turn it off for several days on occasion. Never crashed because of that here.

okay, still does it on 9.00 :p
(how old is this thread? -- it's been on at least since the thread started...)

FractalAudio said:
But I figured no one would ever leave the unit on for more than 16 hours or so.
some of us are weird.

in any case, I don't mind the behavior.
i should check if simply switching presets ensures that it doesn't happen.

I'll bite. I know the AxeFX doesn't use that much electricity, but it uses some. Why would you leave the unit on forever? As far as I can tell, there's no downside to turning it off, and it certainly seems like leaving it on has the effect of using electricity needlessly, wearing out fans, and potentially taxing electronic components (I'll let Cliff speak to that.) So why not just turn the darn thing off?

Reddy Kilowatt said:
I'll bite. I know the AxeFX doesn't use that much electricity, but it uses some. Why would you leave the unit on forever? As far as I can tell, there's no downside to turning it off, and it certainly seems like leaving it on has the effect of using electricity needlessly, wearing out fans, and potentially taxing electronic components (I'll let Cliff speak to that.) So why not just turn the darn thing off?

Forgetfulness

There was some talk (old forum?) of treating the AxeFX like a computer, where the highest chance of failure is during power up. That, and when I enter the studio and hear the welcome fan noise of my Ultra I get pumped to play. The tone of this magic box is so glorious I never want to shut it down! God help me, I'm a sick man. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom