ULTRA FIRMWARE 11.0 MAY 9 2011

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 7.03+ PRESETS UPDATED as of (7.0)

dweezil zappa said:
I tested it's functionality a couple of nights ago in Phoenix. I played Eruption on a preset I made from the ground up just for fun. When I listened to it later I was very happy to hear how well it translated in a live situation.

When I get a moment I will post a front of house reference mix of that performance.

Enjoy your Fractal time everyone...

DZ

Clip and patch on the Axechange please. This patch should then also go into the stock library as "Dweezil van Zappa" :mrgreen:

I'm impressed you go direct by the way, I was more thinking direct up front for consistency and on stage run through a borrowed tube stack, so you could still have that bone crushing physical experience ... but hey, if it's good for Dweezil, maybe I should consider getting rid of my 2502 and Bogner 412 ... :oops:

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 7.03+ PRESETS UPDATED as of (7.0)

dweezil zappa said:
I currently have a very large and involved "Analog" guitar rack which has a collection of rare gear of my Dad's...
DZ

!!! :eek: :shock: :D !!!
Firstly, Welcome to the forum Dweezil, this is incredible that you find time to post! :shock:

Secondly, Errrr anything that is lacking/missing, Cliff could probably model it...I am sure there will be some space for some Zappa Magic (yours and your Dad's)!

Soooo cool you are digging it like we all are... :D

Re: ULTRA FIRMWARE 7.04+ PRESETS UPDATED as of (7.0)

I chose to go direct after heavily scrutinizing the sound of the Fractal running through guitar cabinets vs full range monitors. Ultimately, for me I found that the Axe Effects sounds best through full range monitors. I think that going through guitar cabs eliminates some of the Axe Effects best features. You have to disable the cab modeling and power amp features in order to get a decent sound through a guitar cabinet. At that point you're also at the mercy of the quality of mic pre and microphone you're using to capture your sound.

On the road consistency is very important. I will definitely get more consistency going straight into the PA and monitoring through in ears. Probably more consistency than I currently get. My Analog rig sounds really good but it changes slightly night after night. Level changes are the most annoying thing to deal with.

The approach I've developed for programming is listening on input through the intended recording device - in my case Nuendo - to make sure I'm sending correct levels to "tape". I found that it is also very important to be familiar with the specific meters you're using while programming. Different meters can cause inconsistency in levels. I'm trying to make all my presets have the same apparent loudness and sound like finished album sounds. I often use a multiband compressor at the end of each preset as a Mastering device.

In the case of the Eruption sound I made, the multiband compressor was essential in capturing the right frequency balance and creating the right feel while playing. Compressing the high frequencies a little harder so it can bite but not take your head off.

I find that I always need to have a reference - finished Mastered record - when I'm programming. I find that it's very easy to chase my tail and waste time without a reference. If you're in the ball park of a professionally mastered record then your chances of achieving a well balanced sound that will translate to a PA are good. In general I'm not a big fan of guitar sounds that have too much 1 -2 and 4k in them. I am careful not to over emphasize those frequencies since they can be fatiguing to listen to.

I may post a preset or 2 at some point. The Eruption one is really close to the actual record sound. I even placed a pitch module in the first position that tunes the whole guitar down to E flat so I could play Eruption in the right key without re-tuning. Of course it can be bypassed if I am using a guitar tuned down a half step. The other thing about that is that the eq is dialed in for a guitar that is tuned down. It will sound too bright when played by a guitar in standard tuning.

The fact that you can tune down like that without artifacts is insane. Evil Genius....

DZ

Wow. Dweezil Zappa!

This actually sends chills through my spine.
Pete Thorn, Greg Howe, Larry Mitchell. And now Dweezil Zappa!

Those are all guys I read about in GP, some since dozens of years! Living in the Netherlands we don't get too much blowing over from the Atlantic in this niche market called guitar, but these guys I've heard of!

No offence to all the other pro players I've learned so much from here, these guys are big time! And they're switching to the Axe as sole means of guitar processing, well, more or less!

We're witnessing History in the making here!

Who's next? Steve Vai? Joe Satriani? Eric Johnson? Clapton?

dweezil zappa said:
I chose to go direct after heavily scrutinizing the sound of the Fractal running through guitar cabinets vs full range monitors ....

I often use a multiband compressor at the end of each preset as a Mastering device .... In the case of the Eruption sound I made, the multiband compressor was essential in capturing the right frequency balance and creating the right feel while playing. Compressing the high frequencies a little harder so it can bite but not take your head off ....

I may post a preset or 2 at some point. The Eruption one is really close to the actual record sound. I even placed a pitch module in the first position that tunes the whole guitar down to E flat so I could play Eruption in the right key without re-tuning. Of course it can be bypassed if I am using a guitar tuned down a half step. The other thing about that is that the eq is dialed in for a guitar that is tuned down. It will sound too bright when played by a guitar in standard tuning.

DZ

Welcome to the family ..., it's an honor to have you !

I'm very impressed that someone with your "ears" has ultimately decided to run direct and monitor your sounds w/in ears. I'm sure it's great vaildation for everyone that has come to the same conclusion !

And no pressure ;) but I'd love to get a look at your Eruption preset. I don't have anymore than a neophites understanding of how to use a multi-band compressor. The fact that you consider it essential makes me want to learn more .... Seeing how you've applied it in this context might really jump start that process ! The same with the pitch block for down tuning the guitar to E-flat ....

I've tried a couple experiments with this on my own, but I have just a hint of a metalliac ringing in there that I can't seem to "tweak" out .... Again, I'd love to see how you do it !

Take care, and hope to see you on the road some time ( Milwaukee / Madison, hint hint ) :!:

I'm also very honored to have you here.

You may be able to tell by the picture by my username. ;)

I've often wondered what's taking Dweezil so long to try this thing out ??!?!

I think suddenly we're gonna see alot of presets on Axechange with the MBC block in them. :)

Looking foward to checking out some of your presets....Welcome!!

R

browlett said:
hunter said:

That's GOT to be it. It was just uploaded a couple of days ago. Someone needs to post this over on thegearpage.net for all of those fools who make it their job to bash this unit.

Do you actually think that will do any good? Waste of energy.

That clip will only have them say it sounds digital when recorded with a cell phone at the 30th row and uploaded to a video-sharing website...

How about this: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4619

Glad you found this place :D

I look forward to seeing what you do with the Ultra. It is a remarkable piece of gear. It is great to have you here. Thanks for sharing your tips and experience.

dweezil zappa said:
I chose to go direct after heavily scrutinizing the sound of the Fractal running through guitar cabinets vs full range monitors. Ultimately, for me I found that the Axe Effects sounds best through full range monitors. I think that going through guitar cabs eliminates some of the Axe Effects best features. You have to disable the cab modeling and power amp features in order to get a decent sound through a guitar cabinet. At that point you're also at the mercy of the quality of mic pre and microphone you're using to capture your sound.

just my 2 cent about this (and the pleasure to talk sound with dweezil :twisted: )

even if you use IEM it also can be a good thing too to keep a small valve combo behind you (if you don't want to bring the 4*12 lol), as you can feed the PA with axe-fx cab sim and effects in stereo ,and your combo without cab sim for the feel of the amp behind you (and in this case you don't need to mic it)
but only for the air pressure" behind you, or when you get tired or IEM , or just keep IEM in one ear etc , that can be good :)

"shoogagoogagungaxe" ! :mrgreen:

Welcome Dweezil!
I hope someday the "Zappa plays Zappa" tour will come in Italy, for now I watch over and over the DVD.
I took a Digitech GSP1100 after seeing it in your rig (you had two ;) ) and then I switched to the ULTRA before you but I have to say (for what I hear from Eruption the bootleg video) that you already know the Axe-Fx better than me :D
All the best and welcome again

stef herbuel said:
[quote="dweezil zappa":1lb64vwt]I chose to go direct after heavily scrutinizing the sound of the Fractal running through guitar cabinets vs full range monitors. Ultimately, for me I found that the Axe Effects sounds best through full range monitors. I think that going through guitar cabs eliminates some of the Axe Effects best features. You have to disable the cab modeling and power amp features in order to get a decent sound through a guitar cabinet. At that point you're also at the mercy of the quality of mic pre and microphone you're using to capture your sound.

just my 2 cent about this (and the pleasure to talk sound with dweezil :twisted: )

even if you use IEM it also can be a good thing too to keep a small valve combo behind you (if you don't want to bring the 4*12 lol), as you can feed the PA with axe-fx cab sim and effects in stereo ,and your combo without cab sim for the feel of the amp behind you (and in this case you don't need to mic it)
but only for the air pressure" behind you, or when you get tired or IEM , or just keep IEM in one ear etc , that can be good :)

"shoogagoogagungaxe" ! :mrgreen:[/quote:1lb64vwt]

On the other hand, playing those larger stages doesn't give you that guitar air pressure, unless you fill the place with 4x12's. When we started to use the AxeFX live on festivals last year, it was the first time that the guitar sounded great in the IEM, so I completely understand the thoughts behind it.

Oh yeah, welcome to the "family" Mr. Zappa. I'll bring my friend to the Circus in Stockholm. Big or small rig? ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I submitted a post a bit ago with a few answers to some questions but it didn't seem to make it past the "internets"...

I don't have time to go into as much detail as I did before but I wanted to share my theory of operation when I implement the Multiband Compressor.

I think of it as a volume knob for the final details of a sound. Every sound you listen to off a record has some form of multiband compression effecting it.

"Mastering" your axe presets is a good way to get a finished record type of sound. By using the 3 bands of compression you can control the bass which will allow the other frequencies to come forward in the field. Your reverbs and delays will likely experience a strong benefit from this procedure. You can transform the personality and character of your tone with careful use of MBC.

In general, I use a slow attack with a fast release to allow for the transients to get through but still be under control.

Try it out. I think you'll discover some benefits from it.

DZ

dweezil zappa said:
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I submitted a post a bit ago with a few answers to some questions but it didn't seem to make it past the "internets"...

I don't have time to go into as much detail as I did before but I wanted to share my theory of operation when I implement the Multiband Compressor.

I think of it as a volume knob for the final details of a sound. Every sound you listen to off a record has some form of multiband compression effecting it.

"Mastering" your axe presets is a good way to get a finished record type of sound. By using the 3 bands of compression you can control the bass which will allow the other frequencies to come forward in the field. Your reverbs and delays will likely experience a strong benefit from this procedure. You can transform the personality and character of your tone with careful use of MBC.

In general, I use a slow attack with a fast release to allow for the transients to get through but still be under control.

DZ

Great tip, I haven't thought about doing that in a live setting.

dweezil zappa said:

DZ
Really cool suggestion. I am looking forward to seeing a patch (please? pretty please? with sugar on top?), because I'm a total idiot when it comes to compression. I always overdo it (and it sounds squished), or else I can't even tell it's on. Using 3 band compression to "master" your live sound hasn't been brought up before on this forum, and it's fantastic that the Axe can pull it off.

Dpoirier said:
dweezil zappa said:

Big time .

DZ
Really cool suggestion. I am looking forward to seeing a patch (please? pretty please? with sugar on top?), because I'm a total idiot when it comes to compression. I always overdo it (and it sounds squished), or else I can't even tell it's on. Using 3 band compression to "master" your live sound hasn't been brought up before on this forum, and it's fantastic that the Axe can pull it off.

Back
Top Bottom