Ultimate Fusion Collection (FAS Community Edition)

The tune A & V shuffled up on my phone yesterday.

Every time a song from the album Fire Dance comes up I remember how much I like the playing and tone of Steffen Schackinger.

I don't recall where I first heard of him.

Give it a listen:

Love it! Great player for sure and new to me. I agree with @Freds55 on some JB influence in there. It also definitely drips with a good amount of Steve Morse phrasing. Sometimes it sounds exactly like the Dregs.

Love it! Great player for sure and new to me. I agree with @Freds55 on some JB influence in there. It also definitely drips with a good amount of Steve Morse phrasing. Sometimes it sounds exactly like the Dregs.
Yeah, I was listening to the album on my drive to work and that's what I was going to post - a lot of similarities to Steve Morse.

Especially the counterpoint and chromatic lines.

The violin on A & V definitely brings the Dregs to mind.

I really like all of Arch Echo's stuff. But most of it is more prog and prog metal than fusion. This album is an exception. Besides track 4 which has vocals and is again more prog metal, I would say the rest is well within the modern fusion realm. Jordan Rudess plays some awesome synth lead on track 2.

@Rex Rox loving all of this great music. Hope your gig went well and your hand held up :)

Thanks Fred! I have discovered some great stuff from everyone posting to this thread too.!

The gig went well. It was the perfect length to get my feet wet again. it was only about an hour long - some jazz for a corporate shindig. My hand was only a little sore afterwards. I am more nervous about the Halloween gig coming up because it will be like 4 hours with the cover band. But with the jazz trio I have to play much tougher chords and a lot more solos than in the cover band which has 2 guitarists.

They were trudging along without me since my injury so I am sure it will be fine. It was very good for Chuck (the other guitarist). I always thought he was a better lead player than he gave himself credit. Standing up there solo really improved his confidence on leads. So even if my hand starts to ache a little he can easily step up to save the day. We are even discussing which songs he wants to play lead on going forward now.

It has been a while since I have been in a band with 2 lead guitarists which I always loved in the past. So it will be great to trade leads back and forth with another guitarist again. The audience always likes that stuff. I had been trying to convince him to do it for a while but he kept saying he just wanted to play rhythm. I see more Allman Brothers covers in our future now! In fact we started working on Blue Sky in practice last night.

More Jimmy Herring with Jazz is Dead this time. These are all the Dead's tunes but reimagined as instrumental fusion by an impressive set of musical geniuses.

Jimmy Herring: Guitar (Derek Trucks Band, Widespread Panic, ...), Alphonso Johnson: Bass (Holdsworth, Santana, Weather Report), T Lavitz: Keys (Dixie Dregs), Billy Cobham: - Drums (he's f'ing Billy Cobham!).

Sorry couldn't find an official post for these on YT- I tried! But at least the tracks are indexed in the video description so you can jump between songs.

Same lineup on this one except for Rod Morgenstein on Drums (Dixie Dregs).

Last edited:
Thanks Fred! I have discovered some great stuff from everyone posting to this thread too.!

The gig went well. It was the perfect length to get my feet wet again. it was only about an hour long - some jazz for a corporate shindig. My hand was only a little sore afterwards. I am more nervous about the Halloween gig coming up because it will be like 4 hours with the cover band. But with the jazz trio I have to play much tougher chords and a lot more solos than in the cover band which has 2 guitarists.

They were trudging along without me since my injury so I am sure it will be fine. It was very good for Chuck (the other guitarist). I always thought he was a better lead player than he gave himself credit. Standing up there solo really improved his confidence on leads. So even if my hand starts to ache a little he can easily step up to save the day. We are even discussing which songs he wants to play lead on going forward now.

It has been a while since I have been in a band with 2 lead guitarists which I always loved in the past. So it will be great to trade leads back and forth with another guitarist again. The audience always likes that stuff. I had been trying to convince him to do it for a while but he kept saying he just wanted to play rhythm. I see more Allman Brothers covers in our future now! In fact we started working on Blue Sky in practice last night.
Hey Rex Rox sounds like the gig went well glad to hear that for you. That’s great that your other guitarist is able to fill in some of the lead riffs. Allman Brothers gotta love that Mellisa is a fun tune to play, Love Blue Sky man that makes me want to pick up my guitar another great tune.

Well sounds like a lot of fun was had happy that your gig turned out well for you Brother. Keep on picking!

Cheers

Hey Rex Rox sounds like the gig went well glad to hear that for you. That’s great that your other guitarist is able to fill in some of the lead riffs. Allman Brothers gotta love that Mellisa is a fun tune to play, Love Blue Sky man that makes me want to pick up my guitar another great tune.

Well sounds like a lot of fun was had happy that your gig turned out well for you Brother. Keep on picking!

Cheers

It was good fun and we even got another gig from someone in the audience for an upcoming wedding anniversary party. That was great since jazz gigs aren't so easy to come by these days!

Hope that shoulder is doing well too. We have had freakishly great weather here in Colorado this week. I think it was 86 in Denver yesterday which set a record. We should be in the low 60's - the shortsighted upside of climate change I guess. But if we're going down we might as well enjoy the sunshine!

I hope that shoulder is feeling good enough for you to take a nice ride this weekend brother. I wanted a Harley but my wife drew a line at a motorcycle once the kids came along. So enjoy it for me too if you do!

It was good fun and we even got another gig from someone in the audience for an upcoming wedding anniversary party. That was great since jazz gigs aren't so easy to come by these days!

Hope that shoulder is doing well too. We have had freakishly great weather here in Colorado this week. I think it was 86 in Denver yesterday which set a record. We should be in the low 60's - the shortsighted upside of climate change I guess. But if we're going down we might as well enjoy the sunshine!

I hope that shoulder is feeling good enough for you to take a nice ride this weekend brother. I wanted a Harley but my wife drew a line at a motorcycle once the kids came along. So enjoy it for me too if you do!
Hey Rex Rox very cool that you guys picked up another gig you gotta love that :)

I had to laugh man I just came in from a really nice ride the weather has been awesome, I think everyone was out riding because the weather has been so great man it was nice.

They say that because The El Niño this year it would be abnormally warm up north and out west and sounds like the south would be colder I don’t know will see I’m enjoying it now.

Shoulder is doing great played most of the day today trying to get my ring finger strengthened up some more it’s still needs to be stretched to get stronger.
My Harley is my mental health escape lol nothing like the wind in your hair. Lol

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday! Time for some football

Cheers

I watched this morning while doing some guitar maintenance. It just dropped a couple days ago. The mix is way off for like the first 4 mins (guitar is way too loud). At one point you can see the guitar player reach to turn down his amp just after 2 mins in which helped a little. But then the guy running the board must have woke up from his nap around 4-5 mins in and it sounds great after that.

Back
Top Bottom