Ultimate Fusion Collection (FAS Community Edition)

More fusion goodness from Jimmy Herring. I have this on CD. Interesting lineup - it has T Lavitz (Dixie Dregs) on keys again, but this time with Little Feat's rhythm section - Richie Hayward on drums and Kenny Gradney on bass.

I figured if there was a ever a place that could curate and appreciate such a list this would be it!

I'll kick it off with these 3 gems. Dennis Chambers on drums getting it done with some amazing help from some of the best. All 3 links are full playlists for their respective albums.

All excellent choices. I was introduced to all of these along w/ Tribal Tech & Vital Tech Tones around the same time. Snowball effect!

I'm not sure how I missed these guys from Oz since this album dropped ~2 years ago but I am really glad I found them now. Great compositions and very original concept - kind of what you might get if you mixed a prog metal band like Tesseract or LTE with Weather Report.

2 very talented guitarists 1 on baritone and the other on standard scale. It also features an excellent tenor sax player throughout. The guitarists personalities range from staccato John Goodsall (Brand X) to Holdsworthian fluid legato. Great rhythm section too - drummer has multi-personality (metal to jazz). Check them out!

Don't miss Blue Steel. Arc9, and Eniargim (tracks 3, 4, 5) - they were my favorites anyway. But honestly the whole thing is pretty damn great and it gets better with each listen.

I don't know if this one by StarSystems might have enough "jazz" elements for the fusion thread, but here it is anyway. Moth, off the Lift album.

I thought it did! I posted the whole Lift album a while back, I think it is silly to expect everyone to go back through all the posts to avoid reposting. So well done and good choice! I believe the concept of fusion came from music fusing jazz & rock. There's plenty of stuff nowadays that fuses jazz & ? - it is all still fusion in my book! We need some Bela Fleck (Jazz & Bluegrass) in this thread next to prove that point. As long as there are jazz elements in there combined with some other genre(s) you gotta call it fusion don't you?

I haven’t seen @Rex Rox around and now that I type in his user name it seems he has left the forum. Or I guess you can make yourself anonymous or he could have “iced” me…not sure how all that stuff works. Anyway, was wondering where he’s been.🤷

This is more on the metal side, but it seems jazzy enough to still be considered fusion, and it blows my mind every time I watch it. This is Fredrik Thordendal (a guitarist from Meshuggah) performing on Swedish public access TV with Morgan Agren (of Mats Morgan Band, among other projects).

I also don't see any recent activity and it looks like he might have left the forum. Hope everything is ok.
I'm not sure if he left voluntarily or was banned... There were a number of threads he was involved in with some heated discussions.

He vanished right after that... Draw whatever conclusions you want from that.

Casiopea not in here yet? They have dozens of killer tunes.

I kinda got started with fusion around 1981 on a handful of great LPs, this being one of them. I've always found this tune very addictive, feat. a yummy synth melody and a very tasty guitar solo!

This LP featured the Brecker Bros as well... Listen to the opener :)

Others that killed it for me were Larry Carlton: Sleepwalk (crazy, crazy good), Jeff Beck: There and Back, Becker Bros (live): Heavy Metal Bebop, Spyro Gyra: Morning Dance, ... I was onto Robben Ford early too (some Yellowjackets live stuff) and worshipped Pat Metheny (Group).

Last edited:
I'm not sure if he left voluntarily or was banned... There were a number of threads he was involved in with some heated discussions.

He vanished right after that... Draw whatever conclusions you want from that.
Some did get heated and I would bail or stay out of them near the end so I don’t know if he really crossed the line at some point. I have a bit of experience with temporary banning 🙀 and while I have believed “I was innocent I say…innocent”!🥸 The Moderators and Admins don’t seem to hold any personal grudges and it would take a major indiscretion to make it permanent.

The most positive take I have is he had injured his hand mountain biking and had downtime for a few months and was biding his time on the forum. Then right before his absence he was talking about getting some gigs back up and active and if I remember correctly, a teaching gig. Having stupid social media stuff jumping out of your past is not good these days. My wife was a 35 year educator and she never had any social media accounts especially FB. So maybe he got busy and in light of the friction with the forum he also realized playing music is more important than talking about it.🤷‍♂️

I miss not having him around even if we didn’t always see eye to eye.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom