Uh-oh, white screen... Should I be worried?

RFDowden

I was playing guitar with my son the other day and was looking directly at my Axe-Fx III when the display slowly and unevenly faded to all white with this sort of fizzy, misty distortion. (That's not a terribly good description of what it looked like but I'm not sure how to describe it.) When it was done, it was this blank all white screen.

I turned off my unit. Waited 10 seconds and turned it back on and all was working correctly again.

Should I be worried? Well, that's a silly question. Obviously I'm worried or I wouldn't still be thinking about it and posting about it. It hasn't happened again since, but I worry that it could come back later (or worse case scenario... perhaps waits until I'm out of warranty before it starts to haunt me again or simply fails outright.)

Any thoughts? Does one time not-a-pattern-make? Or am I justified in my concern?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Cliff, I appreciate you chiming in but I'm curious what you're thinking is. Why should I not be concerned? Are you thinking it's a software issue like 666was999 suggested instead of a flaky display or loose connection? Is there a known bug in the firmware that might cause this or something?

Technically if you go to the “getting help” page for Fractal Audio is does point you to the forum as a source of help.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/getting-help/

The Fractal Audio Systems Forum
Our forum provides another great way to get help across a wide variety of areas ranging from product-specific questions to “how to” tutorials to in-depth understanding of third party systems. Fractal staff participate in the conversation, and response times can be very fast. Find it at http://forum.fractalaudio.com
Re-read both what @electronpirate said and what you quoted...

In this case "help" and "support" are different things.

When one of us says "contact support" or "open a support case with Fractal", that means go to the OFFICIAL support source... The forum is not support, the forum is help.

For things like potential hardware issues, Fractal support is the right answer.

This is so dumb so last I post on it but help and support are synonyms.
Yes, the words help and support are synonyms (or can be, depending on context).

But "Fractal Support" is the staff at Fractal, and official support is through them. Not the same as "Fractal Help"...

Sorry, if you think that clarification is dumb... But there is a difference, and some people don't know that.

The forum is not going to authorize a return to Fractal for repair.

Let it go folks.

'Help' we interpret as 'I'm having trouble with Modifiers, or a Delay setting'. 'Support' we interpret as 'My headphone jack appears to be broken'.

The point is, there can't be an expectation that you post here and you will get 'support'. FAS did answer in this case, but that is not the norm.

Happy playing.

R

I'm sure you'd get an answer if you opened a ticket with support. This forum is NOT support.

I asked here because I did open a ticket via support (right after I said I would up above) and was told by Matt Picone that I would be helped on Monday when their technician was back. I sent back an email saying 'Thanks. Sounds good." or something like that. I then almost immediately got another email that said:

"Hi Robert,
I actually just heard back from our lead engineer, who designed the unit. His thought was that this was not a cause for concern. I don't have any further details, but you can contact us if you have any other problems or questions."

The lead engineer who designed the unit sounds an awful lot like Cliff Chase who also happened to say the same thing to me in this thread... so I asked for more info in this thread since he'd already addressed me here and I figured it made more sense to see if I could get an explanation from the man himself.

Is anyone else other than me seeing random white screens that don't brick the unit and go away upon a cold reboot? I haven't seen any reports like that. I'd only seen reports of dead screens so I worry about why mine was turning white and if it might eventually die on me. I'm just afraid that it'll be fine or mostly fine until my warranty runs out and then comes back to haunt me. But if it's just a software thing that's fine... but I'd expect it to be causing problems similar to my situation for other people.

If it's truly nothing to worry about, that's fine with me. I don't want to send the unit back for service if I don't have to and I don't want to waste anyone's time or money... but I would like a better understanding of why I shouldn't worry about it.

If any of this is inappropriate for the forum, just let me know and I'll only work through support.

I asked here because I did open a ticket via support (right after I said I would up above) and was told by Matt Picone that I would be helped on Monday when their technician was back. I sent back an email saying 'Thanks. Sounds good." or something like that. I then almost immediately got another email that said:

"Hi Robert,
I actually just heard back from our lead engineer, who designed the unit. His thought was that this was not a cause for concern. I don't have any further details, but you can contact us if you have any other problems or questions."

The lead engineer who designed the unit sounds an awful lot like Cliff Chase who also happened to say the same thing to me in this thread... so I asked for more info in this thread since he'd already addressed me here and I figured it made more sense to see if I could get an explanation from the man himself.

Is anyone else other than me seeing random white screens that don't brick the unit and go away upon a cold reboot? I haven't seen any reports like that. I'd only seen reports of dead screens so I worry about why mine was turning white and if it might eventually die on me. I'm just afraid that it'll be fine or mostly fine until my warranty runs out and then comes back to haunt me. But if it's just a software thing that's fine... but I'd expect it to be causing problems similar to my situation for other people.

If it's truly nothing to worry about, that's fine with me. I don't want to send the unit back for service if I don't have to and I don't want to waste anyone's time or money... but I would like a better understanding of why I shouldn't worry about it.

If any of this is inappropriate for the forum, just let me know and I'll only work through support.
Sounds to me like a software issue. Might be a rare but known issue that's being fixed in an upcoming firmware update, might be the reason they're telling you not to worry. Fractal's response to bugs has always been to get on it and fix it, so this seems likely.

But yeah, this ain't the "support," so I'd recommend you email them again to further inquire or even call them up on Monday. I'd be interested to read an update from you on Fractal's response once you hear back from support.

"Hi Robert,

I will posit that you have your answer: "His thought was that this was not a cause for concern". But this seems not good enough. I'm okay with that you might not find that satisfactory, but posting on a forum asking for further detail (that will most likely never come,) about something you have been assured by THE lead engineer is 'no big deal', is maybe a bit much.

I will submit that if you have further issues, support is very responsive (you have almost spoken directly to the owner, and the lead engineer in a VERY timely manner.) . So what other expectations do you have?

Edit: I'm not trying for snotty here, but it seems that way in my post. In which I apologize. But maybe find out over time if this is an actual problem rather than expecting for an explanation that cannot possibly be answered (because it might involve code, HW, or some other machination.)

R

Back
Top Bottom