U2's The Edge plays through my Axe-Fx2

Cool video! A bit off topic but is your drummer using a click track to play the songs with the time based delays? Not sure how that is with the real U2?

:shock :shock Holy Sh!t !!! That was freakin' awesome!

Congrats, man. It doesn't get any better than this!

Larry does use a click track. U2 also uses a 'conductor' to count them in and to count between transitions, ie. intro., verse, chorus, outro, etc.. Listen to Edge's IEM concert recording, from the 360 tour La Plata show. It's really neat to listen to.

ok thanks, didn't know about this 'conductor'. That's pretty bizarre! why do they do this?

ok thanks, didn't know about this 'conductor'. That's pretty bizarre! why do they do this?

Agree.

But given the amount of songs in a show, changing setlist for each show, some songs perhaps arranged slightly different to have an unique transition into another song or whatever. Not to mention the possible distraction from the audience and the light/stage show itself (that´s also slightly different for each show). I´m guessing that confusion can arise sometimes, and that this is an method to avoid that. So I can understand that.

Note that both were from the same show, one song 20 years old and the other from latest album that lead to the tour. The old song had lot more 'conducting' than the new one (that barely had any at all). Guessing that main focus in rehearsing, prior going on tour, were the new songs.

Most probably there is a multitrack running with backing tracks and the click and these cues. I'm hearing parts in the music which they don't perform live as far as I can tell unless maybe Larry is cueing them from a MIDI pad, but it doesn't look like it. This is the best way of keeping in sync with the BT. And you just don't recover from falling out of sync with the BT.
Lord knows I've missed cues more than several times. Relying on memory is not an option for this big a production with backings. One of them going into the bridge a verse early will certainly generate a lot of youtube traffic.

Quite possibly even the audience participation bits are rehearsed and accounted for in the multitrack. Or they have some loops integrated and somebody has to keep in sync with Bono's antics. ;)

Agree.

But given the amount of songs in a show, changing setlist for each show, some songs perhaps arranged slightly different to have an unique transition into another song or whatever. Not to mention the possible distraction from the audience and the light/stage show itself (that´s also slightly different for each show). I´m guessing that confusion can arise sometimes, and that this is an method to avoid that. So I can understand that.

Note that both were from the same show, one song 20 years old and the other from latest album that lead to the tour. The old song had lot more 'conducting' than the new one (that barely had any at all). Guessing that main focus in rehearsing, prior going on tour, were the new songs.

I'll just add that it was almost essential with the amount of wandering around the huge stage that both Edge and Bono did during that tour. Once you lose eye contact, you can get lost pretty quickly.

Relying on memory is not an option for this big a production with backings. One of them going into the bridge a verse early will certainly generate a lot of youtube traffic.

Isn't that a risk everyone takes that walks on a stage?

Quite possibly even the audience participation bits are rehearsed and accounted for in the multitrack.

So far spontaneity. But then again that goes for most big rock shows. Not much left to chance.
Not judging U2 here. I also play in a band with backing track sometimes. I know how it works but it's not my favorite way of playing.

Last edited:
Actually I think the cues are pretty sparse. They are only a couple of count-ins. Seems like they are only about keeping in time. No song keys, starting positions, nothing.
I could use some more hints if I were on that big a show. Not that I could ever be...

I have an iPad in front of me when we play where I sometimes draw guitar necks diagrams to remind me how the intro goes or where to start the solo. Then again as a P&W band we play quite a lot of songs, every service a different setlist, we don't have much time for rehearsing. I need all the hints I can get.

so exiting for me and my band. He seemed happy and Dallas was awesome!!

Mick
Unreal... This is heartwarming stuff for edge fans! I've watched all of your videos (many times!) over the years. That's where I first heard about AxeFX, and, it appears I am the 2nd person on this thread to have bought an M13 'cos of you! Absolutely thrilled for you guys! :encouragement:

Major bands in stadiums, with in-ear monitors, and enormous stages, use click tracks to keep the band together. If their loops have tracks on them, they usually have a conductor too. This not only helps them stay together, but confirms they are tracking along in the right place with the loop. There is nothing more embarrassing to play a song, which has a violin section that comes in at 3 minutes into the song, and when you arrive at that point in the song, the violins start one measure earlier than they should. With the conductor calling out the various song sections, your sound man or drummer has the opportunity to bail on the track, before the audience hears the musical conflict.

Our music team at church use ProTools, Reason, and Ableton Live to construct and trigger our loops. We play everything to a click track. Again, it's to ensure we are staying together as a band.

I hear criticism from musicians occasionally that boast "my timing is so good, I don't NEED a click track". What I've found, however, is the complete opposite. The dudes that make that statement, actually cannot play along to a click/metronome without crashing and burning - in an embarrassing way, because they do not play consistently. They are not permitted to participate in our band, if they cannot stay tight with a click, because that is essential to what we do.

You will find, that at the pro level, even the lighting system is tied to midi commands from a loop that the band is playing along to. Just like Axe FX scenes, are pre-determined to recall the correct effect combinations, and can be programmed as a midi track in a DAW (watch Periphery rig rundown - they no longer have midi foot controllers on stage, their pro-tools loops send their patch change and scene change commands).

Journey claim that they listen to a click, but that they have no other vocal or instrument tracks in the loop. I don't know whether I believe that. Most pro bands are playing to a click, and the vast majority have instrument/vocal tracks that the audience hears to make the band sound better and provide instruments that they can't take on the road with them.

I personally LOVE the order and cleanness it provides - we are tight every time we play. And for any band, but especially a U2 band, where the delay is the backbone of the song, having a click that is locked in, and the tempo programmed in the preset, is the only way to go. It prevents the band from drifting off the tempo, and the player having to use a tap tempo to keep the delays in the pocket. Tapping the tap tempo and having the processor change the delay time to the new tempo, can cause audible artifacts that are not pleasing. A click track to lock into, avoids that ever happening to you.

That said, this morning our singer got off the click by 2 beats. The techs didn't mute the tracks that were coming in, so I'm sure it sounded like a train wreck for about 5 measures, until there was a long hold in the middle of the song, and we just "waited a little longer" until the loop caught up to us! And, after playing to a loop for the last 7 years, that has only tripped us up about 3 times (that I've been involved with anyways).

Here is a typical loop we use:

and here's what we sound like LIVE, when we play along to that:

The examples are in different keys. That is the best loop only, and then live recording demonstration I had quickly. We often transpose the songs depending on who has to sing them - different range guys, or maybe a female. But you get the idea.

Last edited:
And for any band, but especially a U2 band, where the delay is the backbone of the song, having a click that is locked in, and the tempo programmed in the preset, is the only way to go. It prevents the band from drifting off the tempo, and the player having to use a tap tempo to keep the delays in the pocket. Tapping the tap tempo and having the processor change the delay time to the new tempo, can cause audible artifacts that are not pleasing. A click track to lock into, avoids that ever happening to you.

Yes I agree. I play a lot of time based delays too. The only way to really lock those in perfect time is to play with a drummer that uses a click. Having to adjust them with tap tempo is very dangerous if your part relies on those exact delay timings like the Edge is doing most of the time. Tap tempo is also not 100% accurate.

Wow. Rodney.

Are you guys on the payroll? Who has time to do all that prep with a different setlist every week?

I'm often stumbling along trying to keep up with prepping a leadsheet I can understand/read fast enough.

BTW, about my comments on U2, I have no knowledge of the way they do it, I just see the logic and the advantages of it. I think it's brilliant! I'd never even thought of a conductor track along with the click.

And, I forgot earlier, foremost to the OP: THAT IS THE MOST AWESOME MINDBLOWING THING EVER!!!

Honest now, were you guys in on it, or was this a surprise to you too? Regardless, I think I might have fainted.

Yes I agree. I play a lot of time based delays too. The only way to really lock those in perfect time is to play with a drummer that uses a click. Having to adjust them with tap tempo is very dangerous if your part relies on those exact delay timings like the Edge is doing most of the time. Tap tempo is also not 100% accurate.

FYI Ableton Live has a useful 'Tempo Nudge' functionality which is great for fine-tuning timing after using the tap-tempo... wish-list anyone?

https://www.ableton.com/en/products/controllers/apc40/tempo-control/

Don't forget that these big productions have super giant screens and the music is most likely sync'd to the videos, so that's another good reason for the cues, so that the band on stage and the video/light designer who are a mile away can keep track of where they are within the song.

Maybe you guys could take your click track, production/backing track chat elsewhere? This started off as really cool thread that Mick posted and it is now going down hill fast.

Reactions: edo
Back
Top Bottom